Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-06-2023, 09:01 AM   #23
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbotis View Post
I reached out to nguyen and he had nothing but positive things to say about it. So I decided to purchase one and get it installed from diffsonline whom I’d highly recommend! They changed the seals, cleaned up the diff and of course wavetrac install which I plan to do in the coming weeks as time allows. It’ll probably be in December after my schooling is finished. I’ve had a few wavetrac before on a fwd as well as the rear. I’ve also had Kaaz and Os given. All great units though the clutch type diffs did clunk which drove me a bit crazy. I’d highly recommend wavetrac if you daily drive and track on occasion. I’ll report back as I progress through the install.
Nice! In for updates, I had a wavetrac in my last car (a fwd car), and it was a huge improvement.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 06:31 AM   #24
G30001
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbotis View Post
I reached out to nguyen and he had nothing but positive things to say about it. So I decided to purchase one and get it installed from diffsonline whom I’d highly recommend! They changed the seals, cleaned up the diff and of course wavetrac install which I plan to do in the coming weeks as time allows. It’ll probably be in December after my schooling is finished. I’ve had a few wavetrac before on a fwd as well as the rear. I’ve also had Kaaz and Os given. All great units though the clutch type diffs did clunk which drove me a bit crazy. I’d highly recommend wavetrac if you daily drive and track on occasion. I’ll report back as I progress through the install.
Hi did you get this in the car?

How is it on road in the daily situation and pushing on bumpy roads?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:28 AM   #25
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30001 View Post
Hi did you get this in the car?

How is it on road in the daily situation and pushing on bumpy roads?

Thanks
Helical LSD is a better street option than a multi-clutch pack LSD which is the better track option. I have an e92 M3 with a diffsonline multi-clutch pack 3.62 FD LSD (stock is 3.15 FD) and it’s the best possible mod you can do for the e9X M. A Wavetec helical LSD will be a great street, and track, mod. What FD are you considering? DCT or MT?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:32 AM   #26
noemon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

I'm thinking the same, though for a bit later this year.

I'm between the Drexler one and the Wavetrac one.

I haven't started my research yet on the finer points between the 2.

So all feedback would be very welcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 10:04 AM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemon View Post

How many track days per year? If it’s heavily street biased then I’d go with a helical LSD.

Here’s a link from M3 POST with a lot of diff comparisons (mostly e9x M but f8x included in the last few pages). Excellent source to procure a diff. Track/S is a great source if you want to get an oem GT4 Drexler LSD.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788992
Appreciate 1
Track/S1785.00
      05-21-2024, 11:24 AM   #28
Track/S
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:

I think there is no better option than Drexler m2 csr or m4 gt4 for F8X, at least in price, i use one from the m2 csr, it is cheaper compared to the gt4, I am very happy with it and I think that anyone who is going to mounted it would be satisfied. those of the m2 and gt4 come complete, instalation is plug and play.

I leave here a 4 minute video with the car in action vs 2 tuned evos, 8 and 9, one of them weighs 1300kg, the road was wet in some sections, neither of them can keep up.

https://rutube.ru/video/1a3956ca6f3a...e2fa6b3d/?r=a/
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2024, 03:08 PM   #29
noemon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
How many track days per year? If it’s heavily street biased then I’d go with a helical LSD.

Here’s a link from M3 POST with a lot of diff comparisons (mostly e9x M but f8x included in the last few pages). Excellent source to procure a diff. Track/S is a great source if you want to get an oem GT4 Drexler LSD.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788992
Mainly track.

Quote:
I think there is no better option than Drexler m2 csr or m4 gt4 for F8X, at least in price, i use one from the m2 csr, it is cheaper compared to the gt4, I am very happy with it and I think that anyone who is going to mounted it would be satisfied. those of the m2 and gt4 come complete, instalation is plug and play.

I leave here a 4 minute video with the car in action vs 2 tuned evos, 8 and 9, one of them weighs 1300kg, the road was wet in some sections, neither of them can keep up.

https://rutube.ru/video/1a3956ca6f3a...e2fa6b3d/?r=a/
Thanks for the info, it seems to be settled on the Drexler, can't seem able to find any differences between mcr and gt4, yet there is a difference in price.

Also, the final drive ratio 3,46 is not available via white label either, starts from 3,91.

Did you machine your unit or changed the final drive to a smaller one too?

I think this makes sense if you want to keep both stock and the other available on demand, should you decide to revert if needs must. That's the idea. Pushes up the cost a bit though by another 1,5-2k.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 03:29 PM   #30
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Mainly track.

ok. Drexler 6-clutch GT4/CSR is the way to go then

Thanks for the info, it seems to be settled on the Drexler, can't seem able to find any differences between mcr and gt4, yet there is a difference in price.

Also, the final drive ratio 3,46 is not available via white label either, starts from 3,91.

3.46 FD ring and pinion and 3.91 FD is only a 13% difference. Find a website that generates speed vs. rpm and you can see the difference in speed at redline for each gear ratio and diff FD. 13% will nicely increase torque and acceleration in each gear. One of my e92 M3s has a 14% higher FD ratio and it out pulls my other stock e92 M3 by 4-5+ car lengths in the quarter mile. Similar results with my e46 M3 with 13% higher FD. Track/S can better describe what it’s like in the f8x

I think this makes sense if you want to keep both stock and the other available on demand, should you decide to revert if needs must. That's the idea. Pushes up the cost a bit though by another 1,5-2k.
The Drexler LSD will complete your car! Here’s a quick video of three e46 M3s with stock 3.62, 4.10 and 3.91 FDs:
Appreciate 1
noemon169.50
      05-22-2024, 04:20 PM   #31
Track/S
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mainly track.

3.46 on 6MT on perfect, shorter is not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 01:51 PM   #32
noemon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The Drexler LSD will complete your car! Here’s a quick video of three e46 M3s with stock 3.62, 4.10 and 3.91 FDs:
I spoke to KMP today(official EU Distributor for Drexler) and they recommended the 3,91 ratio as the best track oriented all-rounder.

They said the 4.10 is too short and the OEM 3,46 a bit tall.

I was planning on doing this round Christmas time and now has me thinking as I'm ordering some more parts from KMP and could get a discount now.

BMW quoted today 3.6k(inclusive of 20% VAT/sales tax) for the M2 CSR and 4.5k for the GT4(incl. VAT), though they cannot sell me the GT4 as it is locked to GT3/GT4 vin numbers only while the M2 CSR isn't locked. Both prices are cheaper than all other retailers in the UK and include a 10% discount that I get for being a good customer.

I am waiting for the KMP quote(for a full LSD with 3,91 final drive and the housing) and it could be even more expensive than BMW's which comes complete with final drive & housing.

Hmm, I might sell the Tractive to fund this item or wait for the next season.

I can't get it in time for this season as I'm only tracking up to the end of June.

I think it makes sense to wait for Black Friday and get the diff then so it can be on the car before next spring.

I'm basically baselining the car now and will carry on until the end of June.

Last edited by noemon; 05-23-2024 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
M3SQRD3334.50
      05-23-2024, 02:26 PM   #33
Track/S
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I spoke to KMP today(official EU Distributor for Drexler) and they recommended the 3,91 ratio as the best track oriented all-rounder.

I was planning on doing this round Christmas time and now has me thinking as I'm ordering some more parts from KMP and could get a discount now.

BMW quoted today 3.6k(inclusive of 20% VAT/sales tax) for the M2 CSR and 4.5k for the GT4(incl. VAT), though they cannot sell me the GT4 as it is locked to GT3/GT4 vin numbers only while the M2 CSR isn't locked. Both prices are cheaper than all other retailers in the UK and include a 10% discount that I get for being a good customer.

I am waiting for the KMP quote(for a full LSD with 3,91 final drive and the housing) and it could be even more expensive than BMW's which comes complete with final drive & housing.

I can't get it in time for this season as I'm only tracking up to the end of June.

I think it makes sense to wait for Black Friday and get the diff then so it can be on the car before next spring.

Kmp recommend 3.91 because they don't want people to buy chapiest gt4/m2csr version LOL, don't know which dealer you asked, I can buy any diff gt4/m2 csr at any time without any vin.
Appreciate 1
noemon169.50
      05-23-2024, 02:32 PM   #34
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I find 13-14% shorter gearing to be perfect for the track. The f8x ediff is an improvement over the e9x M diff but you’ll immediately fall in love with a 6-clutch Drexler. The cornering lockup allows you to help put the power down and the stability under deceleration is a nice bonus. The 3.91 FD will make a noticeable difference. When I installed the 4.10 and 3.62 Drexler LSDs on the e46 and e92, respectively, I reduced my lap times on my local track by more than 1 second per lap. LSDs were the only difference and it was 2-3 weeks between different track events. I was amazed how quickly it would lock and how it helped to rotate the car.

Definitely no need to rush and definitely wait for BF if that gets you a better price. My only concern is BMW decides to raise the pricing on the Drexler LSDs. Their prices are so much better than any other vendor.
Appreciate 1
noemon169.50
      05-23-2024, 03:14 PM   #35
noemon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Kmp recommend 3.91 because they don't want people to buy chapiest gt4/m2csr version LOL, don't know which dealer you asked, I can buy any diff gt4/m2 csr at any time without any vin.
I spoke directly to KMP, and they were kind enough to tell me that getting the 3,46 from BMW is cheaper than their price and that I should only buy from them, if I really want a non 3,46 ratio.

The guys are quite honest at KMP.

I can also buy the GT4 one from a non-BMW retailer, but the price is north of 6k.
Appreciate 1
Track/S1785.00
      05-23-2024, 05:33 PM   #36
G30001
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Helical LSD is a better street option than a multi-clutch pack LSD which is the better track option. I have an e92 M3 with a diffsonline multi-clutch pack 3.62 FD LSD (stock is 3.15 FD) and it’s the best possible mod you can do for the e9X M. A Wavetec helical LSD will be a great street, and track, mod. What FD are you considering? DCT or MT?
Hadn’t considered changing the FD as it’s a road car (my car) and a MT so without being able to lengthen 6th it would destroy the cruising ability.

If it became a pure toy the I may consider it but I am planning on a S65 1m clone for those duties.

Thanks for all the info, to be fair suspension is my first port of call, been trying to convince noemon to sell me his Tractive.

Last edited by G30001; 05-24-2024 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
noemon169.50
      05-25-2024, 04:00 AM   #37
AM43
Rep
Drives: E92 Melbourne Red

Quote:

I’m also thinking about an M2 CSR diff for my F82 ,

Is 3.6k a U.K. price ?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 04:57 AM   #38
noemon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM43 View Post
I’m also thinking about an M2 CSR diff for my F82 ,

Is 3.6k a U.K. price ?
Yeap.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 05:52 AM   #39
AM43
Rep

Would you mind sharing where ?

I have had a price to have a Drexler fitted for not much less. Buying a whole diff seems the easier option
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 09:05 AM   #40
noemon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Would you mind sharing where ?

I have had a price to have a Drexler fitted for not much less. Buying a whole diff seems the easier option
Indeed. From the official BMW dealer.

For BMW/Mini parts in the UK, we ask for quotes via the m3cutters forum:

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/forum...-bmw-parts.96/

And it's BMW Cotswolds that quotes.

Where did you get your price from? Dave Heasman? And can you be more specific of what you have been quoted for?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 10:32 AM   #41
AM43
Rep

Indeed it was heasman he recommended 40/50 ramp and 50nm preload
Price was to rebuild my diff and install a drexler

I actually sent Cotswolds a parts request this morning, so we will see what they come back with.

I can’t find any information on what the difference between the M2 CSR and the M4 GT4 diff is
Appreciate 1
noemon169.50
      05-25-2024, 10:42 AM   #42
noemon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Dave is on holiday until the 30th so haven't managed to speak to him yet. My plan is to speak to him before I make a move as well as speak to KMP and Team Schirmer. I'll be in the Netherlands and Germany next month so might as well try them out if their prices are competitive.

I am in the same boat mate, unable to find information on the 2 diffs.

I will be using Dave for the fitting for sure as he seems to be the top man in the country and even other garages recommend him instead of taking on the work themselves.

It is fairly apparent that BMW's price is indeed the most competitive. Not even KMP was able to match it, and they are the official distributors of Drexler, so I think Dave will not be able to match it either cause he is a reseller. Not his fault as there is not much he can do about it and rebuilding an existing diff takes quite a bit of work as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 10:43 AM   #43
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Indeed it was heasman he recommended 40/50 ramp and 50nm preload
Price was to rebuild my diff and install a drexler

I actually sent Cotswolds a parts request this morning, so we will see what they come back with.

I can’t find any information on what the difference between the M2 CSR and the M4 GT4 diff is
CSR is used primarily for sprint races (short duration) with single driver vs. GT4 which is used primarily for endurance races (long duration) with multiple drivers. So I’m wondering if the GT4 diff has rem polished parts and the CSR doesn’t. The cost difference is close to the cost of rem polishing parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 12:13 PM   #44
AM43
Rep

He does come very well recommended, completely agree.

Please do keep us informed of which direction you go, I’m completely on the fence. I’m very keen on the CSR diff as it’s obviously tried and tested by BMW themselves.
Appreciate 1
noemon169.50