Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #1013
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
I wonder how many people have had the most recent istep updates to their 2015 non zcps and compare that to a zcp car. I've had the updates done to my 2015 non zcp and the difference in ride quality, predictability and dct have been significantly, significantly, significantly improved.
Shhhhhh. Don't you know. ZCP makes the F80/82 a brand new car
Appreciate 1
JoePcone145.00
      08-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #1014
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I went ZCP. I am expecting a "little" step up from the current ride. We shall see very soon...

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #1015
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
I wonder how many people have had the most recent istep updates to their 2015 non zcps and compare that to a zcp car. I've had the updates done to my 2015 non zcp and the difference in ride quality, predictability and dct have been significantly, significantly, significantly improved.
I'm new to this chassis and so have very limited seat time. I have read about the software changes and am open to the idea that they likely narrow the gap bewteen a ZCP and non updated older model significantly.

That said, while test driving I did drive an 18 non ZCP 6MT back to back with the same car but ZCP, down to cloth interior. And the ZCP car for sure felt more focused and hardcore. Surely the wheels/tires play a roll here, but the entire car just felt a bit different behind the wheel. Major? No, but enough to sway me. The ZCP car feels like an M3 - ultra tight and locked down.

That said - the ZCP was a no brainier for me. The car looks WAY better with the dark 666s and black trim, sounds quite good, feels ultra planted on the road and has virtually zero traction issues. Plus the top end drops off a little less which is important to me coming from S54/65 engines. The seats are less comfortable, though, due to lack of any real lumbar support - they screwed this up for sure.

Last edited by EricSMG; 08-12-2018 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #1016
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
My wife and I just returned from a 3-week Euro Delivery for her 2018 M3 ZCP. I did a Euro Delivery for my non-ZCP M4 in May 2016. ZCP had just been offered the same month that I ordered my M4 and I wasn't sure whether I should order it or not. I didn't like the way the 666 wheels looked (hadn't seen them in person) but they looked like they'd be a nightmare to keep clean, I wasn't sure that I wanted seats without an adjustable lumbar support (i have a bad back and have been in physical therapy for it), and I wasn't sure that the extra dollars were worth the meager 19 HP.

After driving my wife's new M3 ZCP in Europe for over 2000 KM in 13 days, I can say that the ZCP has improved throttle response, the handling seems much more sorted out, the seats are awesome, and the ZCP exhaust is way better than the M Performance exhaust on my M4! We opted for the 19" 437M wheels though, as the 19" wheels are perfectly adequate for the street and we'll buy some Apex wheels for the track, same as my M4. The 19" 437M wheels were not an option with ZCP in 2016.

I set up the M buttons on the M3 the same as on my M4: M1 is Efficient/Comfort/Comfort and M2 is Sport Plus/Sport Plus/Comfort with MDM on. I ended up driving the car in M2 almost all the time, unless the road was really rough (think cobblestones). Every time I accelerated from a stop, the throttle response felt much smoother, no more sharp jolts as the clutch engages, and none of the bucking that I've occasionally experienced in the M4. The suspension felt firmer, yet more compliant over bumps. The comparison with my M4 is not an direct comparison though, as my M4 has Dinan coilovers and Ground Control camber plates.

The stock exhaust on the ZCP is absolutely awesome! The MPE on my M4 is much louder than stock which just makes the farting sounds louder. The ZCP exhaust is much more mellow and it has a fantastic burble that isn't present in a non-ZCP M3/M4, with or without the MPE. It reminded us of my wife's 2011 335is Coupe with it's bespoke exhaust that is just the best sounding stock BMW exhaust we had ever heard...until the ZCP exhaust. Just like our 2011 Euro Delivery in that car, we would drive though small European towns with the buildings right next to the road or low walls along the road, and when backing off the throttle, the car would just make the most awesome burbling sounds, bouncing and echoing off the buildings and walls! It immediately took us back to the 2011 trip and we would just start laughing, just like we did then.

In short, in just 13 days and just over 2000 KM, we absolutely loved the ZCP and have no regrets checking that box. On my M4 I ended up getting gloss black grills, gloss black side gills, and gloss black M4 rear badge, just like the ZCP comes standard with, and I bought the M Performance Exhaust. This probably came to more than half of what the Competition Package option would have cost. In hindsight, I wish I had just ordered the ZCP on my M4. Unless you're just totally on a budget and can't afford more than a bare-bones M3/M4, the Competition Package is totally worth it.

I'm going to have to look into the software updates for my M4...

Appreciate 6
CanAutM321131.50
shay2nak1070.00
minn1914078.00
MPoweRo428.00
      08-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #1017
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
The stock exhaust on the ZCP is absolutely awesome! The MPE on my M4 is much louder than stock which just makes the farting sounds louder. The ZCP exhaust is much more mellow and it has a fantastic burble that isn't present in a non-ZCP M3/M4, with or without the MPE. It reminded us of my wife's 2011 335is Coupe with it's bespoke exhaust that is just the best sounding stock BMW exhaust we had ever heard...until the ZCP exhaust. Just like our 2011 Euro Delivery in that car, we would drive though small European towns with the buildings right next to the road or low walls along the road, and when backing off the throttle, the car would just make the most awesome burbling sounds, bouncing and echoing off the buildings and walls! It immediately took us back to the 2011 trip and we would just start laughing, just like we did then.
Those ZCP exhaust burbles.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2462.50
      08-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #1018
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Want a more aggressive car? Get comp package. want something more subdued? Don’t. Everyone has their perspectives. unless you clearly state your criteria, all responses will be relative to the responders own criteria
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #1019
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Everything about it is better than my m4 was back in the day. Looks, sound, and feel have all improved. It's evident they read these forums and incorporate feedback
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1
JustChris17607.00
      08-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #1020
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
My wife and I just returned from a 3-week Euro Delivery for her 2018 M3 ZCP. I did a Euro Delivery for my non-ZCP M4 in May 2016. ZCP had just been offered the same month that I ordered my M4 and I wasn't sure whether I should order it or not. I didn't like the way the 666 wheels looked (hadn't seen them in person) but they looked like they'd be a nightmare to keep clean, I wasn't sure that I wanted seats without an adjustable lumbar support (i have a bad back and have been in physical therapy for it), and I wasn't sure that the extra dollars were worth the meager 19 HP.

After driving my wife's new M3 ZCP in Europe for over 2000 KM in 13 days, I can say that the ZCP has improved throttle response, the handling seems much more sorted out, the seats are awesome, and the ZCP exhaust is way better than the M Performance exhaust on my M4! We opted for the 19" 437M wheels though, as the 19" wheels are perfectly adequate for the street and we'll buy some Apex wheels for the track, same as my M4. The 19" 437M wheels were not an option with ZCP in 2016.

I set up the M buttons on the M3 the same as on my M4: M1 is Efficient/Comfort/Comfort and M2 is Sport Plus/Sport Plus/Comfort with MDM on. I ended up driving the car in M2 almost all the time, unless the road was really rough (think cobblestones). Every time I accelerated from a stop, the throttle response felt much smoother, no more sharp jolts as the clutch engages, and none of the bucking that I've occasionally experienced in the M4. The suspension felt firmer, yet more compliant over bumps. The comparison with my M4 is not an direct comparison though, as my M4 has Dinan coilovers and Ground Control camber plates.

In short, in just 13 days and just over 2000 KM, we absolutely loved the ZCP and have no regrets checking that box. On my M4 I ended up getting gloss black grills, gloss black side gills, and gloss black M4 rear badge, just like the ZCP comes standard with, and I bought the M Performance Exhaust. This probably came to more than half of what the Competition Package option would have cost. In hindsight, I wish I had just ordered the ZCP on my M4. Unless you're just totally on a budget and can't afford more than a bare-bones M3/M4, the Competition Package is totally worth it.

I'm going to have to look into the software updates for my M4...
Nice review and comparison to your standard non CP modded M4. A big thing I’ve noticed with mine during my short time of ownership is, the mdm mode is less restrictive than in my original 2015 non CP. Where as I almost had to run it with all traction controls off to get the car to perform at its full potential and not cut power, especially in a straight line acceleration sprint. The 2018 CP software must have fixed that(along with the upgraded hardware), as now I can run in mdm mode and it will NOT cut power as abruptly as it use to. Kind of like what I had heard in the CS review that Joe Achilles did mentioning how much more planted the car was and mdm just didn’t get in the way. I wonder if that setting is borrowed from the CS software? And oh yes, the exhaust sound is way deeper and more pleasing, less raspy.
      08-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #1021
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3liter1 View Post
Want a more aggressive car? Get comp package. want something more subdued? Don’t. Everyone has their perspectives. unless you clearly state your criteria, all responses will be relative to the responders own criteria
I would say, regardless of your criteria or perspective, if you've decided to buy an M3/M4, you might as well get a better M3/M4, and order it with ZCP.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #1022
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Nice review and comparison to your standard non CP modded M4. A big thing I’ve noticed with mine during my short time of ownership is, the mdm mode is less restrictive than in my original 2015 non CP. Where as I almost had to run it with all traction controls off to get the car to perform at its full potential and not cut power, especially in a straight line acceleration sprint. The 2018 CP software must have fixed that(along with the upgraded hardware), as now I can run in mdm mode and it will NOT cut power as abruptly as it use to. Kind of like what I had heard in the CS review that Joe Achilles did mentioning how much more planted the car was and mdm just didn’t get in the way. I wonder if that setting is borrowed from the CS software? And oh yes, the exhaust sound is way deeper and more pleasing, less raspy.
I'm finding almost zero traction issues with the DSC fully engaged in my ZCP 6MT. Granted, it's been warm, I've only had the car a week, and haven't' taken it on my canyon run.... but... I'm very impressed with how well this thing hooks so far and I'm deep into boost every time I drive it.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #1023
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

interesting ... i drove a zcp and a non ZCP back to back (both new 2018s), and did not notice any such dramatic improvement. Yes, the ZCP exhaust is louder, and there is a bit more noise in the cabin, but that was about it. Ride quality was a bit stiffer, but the ZCP rolls around on 20" wheels so that's to be expected. I did not feel the difference in power, but i did not hammer on these cars too hard since they were brand new. I also don't care much for the burble fad. Neither car displayed traction issues.

Interestingly enough, I went from really wanting a ZCP to being convinced it isn't worth the $5K UNLESS you prefer the ZCP seats. Yes, the wheels look much better in person, and the black badging/trim is nice to have, and so is the exhaust. The seats is where there is a significant difference IMO, and an argument could be made for those tipping the scale in favor of ZCP being a decent value.

As a disclaimer, this is with 10-15 mile test drives for each, so I may not have gotten the full effect but I was actually surprised to find the differences so limited based on the hype i keep finding on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #1024
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Its indeed a hype and people tend to over react. ZCP is good but nothing significantly better than non ZCP, I agree the car looks better on the 20 inch but I miss the low end power of the non ZCP. Both the cars seems to be more or less the same with a better exhaust noise from ZCP.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2462.50
      08-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #1025
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
interesting ... i drove a zcp and a non ZCP back to back (both new 2018s), and did not notice any such dramatic improvement. Yes, the ZCP exhaust is louder, and there is a bit more noise in the cabin, but that was about it. Ride quality was a bit stiffer, but the ZCP rolls around on 20" wheels so that's to be expected. I did not feel the difference in power, but i did not hammer on these cars too hard since they were brand new. I also don't care much for the burble fad. Neither car displayed traction issues.

Interestingly enough, I went from really wanting a ZCP to being convinced it isn't worth the $5K UNLESS you prefer the ZCP seats. Yes, the wheels look much better in person, and the black badging/trim is nice to have, and so is the exhaust. The seats is where there is a significant difference IMO, and an argument could be made for those tipping the scale in favor of ZCP being a decent value.

As a disclaimer, this is with 10-15 mile test drives for each, so I may not have gotten the full effect but I was actually surprised to find the differences so limited based on the hype i keep finding on this forum.
I would say nothing major jumped out - rather, a few subtle but important differences that added up to something I could feel immediately, and, preferred.

I would definately not hype it up. They are far more alike than different except in the looks department - the 666s make it look like a different car, almost.

And while the exhaust sounds much much better (actually quite good), I agree with you on the burbles. I like the way the car sounds in efficient mode much more than sport plus, but, it's not fun to drive in anything but sport plus so I live with the burbles. I like sleeper status so can drive fast and slip under the radar. The burbles almost make it seem like it's trying too hard - the car is insanely badass and the burbles aren't flattering. I in my 40s which means I like peace and quiet

I don't like the seats though - they look cool but aren't good for the lower back. I would actually prefer to have the standard seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #1026
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I planned to tune the car, code it, get an exhaust, springs, and change the wheels, so I went with the non-ZCP and used the money towards the mods. I hated the 666 wheels and that was the only way I could order the car when I bought it if I got ZCP (I hear that has changed). With the tune, exhaust, coding, etc., I think I'm ahead of where I would be with a stock ZCP, so it seemed like the better way to go.

That said, if you want to keep the car stock for warranty purposes, that's understandable and the ZCP makes sense to me.
      08-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #1027
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Its indeed a hype and people tend to over react. ZCP is good but nothing significantly better than non ZCP, I agree the car looks better on the 20 inch but I miss the low end power of the non ZCP. Both the cars seems to be more or less the same with a better exhaust noise from ZCP.
I believe both ZCP and non-ZCP engines got retuned in 2016 - so no extra low end power in the non-ZCP.
Appreciate 1
LVI309.50
      08-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #1028
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I believe both ZCP and non-ZCP engines got retuned in 2016 - so no extra low end power in the non-ZCP.
Mine was a 2016 and it wasnt , it used to pull like a beast in sports plus mode , not so much the CP , the CP car pulls like a beast north of 5K rpm ,thats the part i dont like about the CP car

I hear all experts say its more planted and linear power bla bla, i am not that expert of a driver to feel that , for me i like more low end torque
      08-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #1029
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

It's interesting to hear all the views and these are all relative given every individual feels and sees things differently. Would definitely encourage folks to drive them if they can and come up with their own impressions. My two cents: I have a 2016 f80 with MPE (no comp pack) and i test drove a 18 ZCP (without MPE) (both were manual). I walked away with 3 distinct impressions that i went and commented back to the dealer. 1st. clutch was very grabby and that's expected on a new car vs. mine after driven it for 2.5 years. 2nd - traction off the line. It hooks up better than my '16 non ZCP F80 off the line. and 3rd, i found the comp pack exhaust in sports plus to be quiet. I wondered if there was a problem with the valves not opening, but i think i'm biased (or deaf :-)) given I have MPE.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #1030
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

MPE is a very loud exhaust so the stock ZCP exhaust isn't going to wow you there.

As for the cost of the ZCP package its almost a moot point. Considering how much the dark 666 wheels fetches for used on the forums you can pretty much sell them (if you prefer the 437's) or swap with someone to make up for nearly half of what the comp package cost. Factor in the black trims and other stuff you get from the package its a no brainer to me. Every car mag review of the comp pack pretty much praises it and says the car should have came this way at launch.
      08-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #1031
m4boycali
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible Competition

Was deciding on the same debate. I had to choose between a standard and competition. I went with the competition yesterday- also the competition wheels look much sleeker!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #1032
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
interesting. thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #1033
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I have had the 2018 M4 with ZCP for 3 weeks and 400 miles now. So far so good. I like the way it drives and have no issue with the ride quality. I honestly don't notice that much of a difference from my 2015 without ZCP. The improvements are subtle but noticeable.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #1034
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

This is really the 1st thread I've read where someone is saying the stock comp sport exhaust sounds better than one equipped with the MPE. Any others feel that way? Only talking ZCP cars here.
Appreciate 0