Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #1365
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Does anyone have a 2018 F8x with LEDs and GFHB that isn't being flashed all the time? I'm curious if it's related to the headlight change that occurred after build date 03/17. Perhaps the hardware is not sufficient to properly control the light distribution?
Have you tried my GFHB cheat codes for MY18 F80/82? I’ve had GFHB coded for at least 6 months, use it quite a bit, and have never been flashed at. To be safe, first VO code FLEs back to US settings before applying my cheat codes. The cheat codes can be applied without modifying the FA SALAPA elements; read the instructions in the header of the file.

See post #1361: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1361

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #1366
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80beast View Post
Can I use the same cheat code when using BimmerCode on my 2018 M3?
I don’t have BimmerCode, but you should be able to use the information in the XML file to manually code settings with BimmerCode (Expert Mode?). The comments for each storage location contain the name of the parameter/setting that needs to be modified. Simply scroll through the file and code each of the settings for the proper CAFDs (use the CAFD tags in the XML file).

Example for FLE:
<function start="4" end="4" mask="11111111b" comment="LmmIdx01_Intensity">04_Value</function>
You would code LmmIdx01_Intensity to werte/value “04_Value”

A little bit of a pain, but it should work as long as you can modify all required settings in BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #1367
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
Hmm so I'm getting these errors when applying the cheat code to my FLE CAFD.

The log here doesn't seem entirely helpful (not listing what it's failing to change), so let me know if there's anything else I should do to troubleshoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolka View Post
I had the same problem as you when I tried applying pmooiweer cheat codes for GFHB . So I made a modified version that uses the actual 10-byte values. All the errors went away and GFHB is working ok.

Please see my posts

This one pretty much reporting the same issue you are having. I was using with v.63.3_PSdZData_Lite database, e-sys 3.27.1 and the e-sys Launcher Premium 2.78.0
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1308

and then my post with the modified version of the cheat codes attached
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1309
I got the same errors as NPuter when I tried pmooiweer's cheat code, so I tried Nickolka's and it worked fine. I did not VO code back to US spec before trying this, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
Have you tried my GFHB cheat codes for MY18 F80/82? I’ve had GFHB coded for at least 6 months, use it quite a bit, and have never been flashed at. To be safe, first VO code FLEs back to US settings before applying my cheat codes. The cheat codes can be applied without modifying the FA SALAPA elements; read the instructions in the header of the file.

See post #1361: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1361

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
I was hoping you'd chime in on this issue, pmooiweer.

I got a chance to test the lights tonight with the help of my GF and four GoPros and I see why I'm getting flashed by oncoming traffic. There's a ton of light spilling over from the right headlight, so it looks like the aim is way off. When following other traffic it appears to be OK from the driver's seat of the lead car, but the camera I had mounted to the back of the lead car shows a ton of right headlight high beam leaking in the forward regions.

Here's the video.

Per your recommendation, I'm going to revert the FLEs back to US market specs. To confirm, within Expert Mode, I choose Coding, then with the individual FLE selected, on the right I hit the Code button to perform the VO code. Correct? If so, repeat with other FLE. After that I simply go back and re-code the FLEs with the applicable cheat code. Assuming I get the same errors as before with your cheat code, have you had a chance to check out Nickolka's solution?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #1368
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Try my MY18 F80/82 GFHB cheat codes: https://github.com/packetpilot/bmw-f...ster/pmooiweer

Right-click "Raw", select "Save link as..." and save in a text file using a .xml extension (i.e. not .txt) in your Tokenmaster FDLcodes folder on your computer (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\TokenMaster\Launcher PRO\FDLCodes). You can now use the cheat codes within e-sys (if you have multiple cheat code .xml files, pick "pmooiweer" as author. Instructions are included in the top section of the file.
Thanks. It wasn't clear to me from the top section of the file how I initiate the cheat codes within E-Sys. Where and how do I find and apply them? Is there a guide for this?

Sorry for the questions.

James.
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:17 AM   #1369
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Thanks. It wasn't clear to me from the top section of the file how I initiate the cheat codes within E-Sys. Where and how do I find and apply them? Is there a guide for this?

Sorry for the questions.

James.
Open Launcher and go to settings to select authors. Here is image for Premium.

Here are images for E-sys. Make sure to check box to Auto-fetch codes & then select Refresh button. You can also filter by author, chassis, & keyword.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #1370
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the same errors as NPuter when I tried pmooiweer's cheat code, so I tried Nickolka's and it worked fine. I did not VO code back to US spec before trying this, though.

Assuming I get the same errors as before with your cheat code, have you had a chance to check out Nickolka's solution?
Nickolka's modified cheat codes (using the 10-byte settings instead of XX_Value for the ones that were generating errors) should result in the same settings as mine and should work. There are (potential) differences if you don't apply Nickolka's step #2 for FLE, but that should only affect low beam settings.

Looking at your video (nice work, BTW), I don't see the outer high beams swivel outwards; could just be hard to see in the video. When following traffic, the inner high beams should switch off and both outer high beams should swivel outward (i.e. the driver's side swivels left and the passenger side swivels right), creating a light tunnel. With oncoming traffic, the inner high beams should switch off and the driver's side high beam should first (1) swivel outward and then (2) switch off once oncoming traffic is about to enter your driver's side high beam light cone. The swiveling of the outer high beams can easily be seen from within your car. You should also be able to see the driver's side HB switch off when oncoming traffic gets close, but this is a little harder to see.

One thing to check is whether all cheat codes were applied properly. You can do that by loading (make sure to read from the car) and opening each of the FEM_BODY, KAFAS2 and FLE43/44 CAFDs in the FDL Editor, selecting the cheat codes and clicking "Review." You should see no differences between "Current_Value" and "New_Value" in the FDL Review dialog box. Note that the CAFD settings for either FLE 43 or 44 should show a couple of differences (don't remember the exact ones).

BTW, my cheat codes should work if you use Tokenmaster Launcher Premium 2.8.x (or Pro 3.x), e-Sys 3.27.1 and up, and PSdZData 61.4 and up; see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=983244 for latest software and PSdZData download links. I doubt that using a different version of Launcher would cause coding issues, but that may be something else to try.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #1371
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:

To confirm, within Expert Mode, I choose Coding, then with the individual FLE selected, on the right I hit the Code button to perform the VO code. Correct? If so, repeat with other FLE. After that I simply go back and re-code the FLEs with the applicable cheat code.
Am I correct about the process for VO coding? I don't want to attempt to change anything unless I'm absolutely certain I'm doing it right.

Quote:
Looking at your video (nice work, BTW), I don't see the outer high beams swivel outwards; could just be hard to see in the video. When following traffic, the inner high beams should switch off and both outer high beams should swivel outward (i.e. the driver's side swivels left and the passenger side swivels right), creating a light tunnel. With oncoming traffic, the inner high beams should switch off and the driver's side high beam should first (1) swivel outward and then (2) switch off once oncoming traffic is about to enter your driver's side high beam light cone. The swiveling of the outer high beams can easily be seen from within your car. You should also be able to see the driver's side HB switch off when oncoming traffic gets close, but this is a little harder to see.
I can confirm the high beams appear to function normally when following another car. The lights do split to create the tunnel. Both I and my GF took turns driving the second car and weren't bothered when the M3 was following behind.

While I was driving the second car, the M3's lights appeared to be normal in my mirrors when it was following, but the video shot by the camera mounted to the rear glass of the second car confirms the right headlight is still throwing a lot of light forward (which you can see at the end of the video).

Quote:
One thing to check is whether all cheat codes were applied properly. You can do that by loading (make sure to read from the car) and opening each of the FEM_BODY, KAFAS2 and FLE43/44 CAFDs in the FDL Editor, selecting the cheat codes and clicking "Review." You should see no differences between "Current_Value" and "New_Value" in the FDL Review dialog box. Note that the CAFD settings for either FLE 43 or 44 should show a couple of differences (don't remember the exact ones).
Since this doesn't involve changing anything, I'm going to give it a go. I'll let you know if I find anything that doesn't match.

Quote:
BTW, my cheat codes should work if you use Tokenmaster Launcher Premium 2.8.x (or Pro 3.x), e-Sys 3.27.1 and up, and PSdZData 61.4 and up.
I downloaded the above software only about 2 weeks ago, so it should be the latest and greatest.

I reached out to the guy who coded my car in the hopes he can help as well. Ideally, he could just remote in as before, re-do the coding, and I'll be on my merry way.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #1372
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

pmooiweer I reviewed the CAFDs and they appear to match the cheat code. I hate to sound like a noob, but I'm not 100% certain that what I was reviewing was the software in the car, and not something I downloaded previously.

Check my process:

I went into Expert mode, found the module to read, right clicked and chose Read FDL Data, which displayed the CAFD file. I then right-clicked and chose Edit FDL, which populated all of the folders. I then switched to the FDL editor and clicked the ellipsis (...) in the top right, selected the CAFD, and clicked review. My screenshots are below (except KAFAS2, since it has only one line). As far as I can tell it all matches.

The FLEs are split into two because there were too many lines of code to catch in one screenshot. Not all of the actual data can be seen for some of the lines, and extending the column width didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #1373
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
pmooiweer I reviewed the CAFDs and they appear to match the cheat code. I hate to sound like a noob, but I'm not 100% certain that what I was reviewing was the software in the car, and not something I downloaded previously.

Check my process:

I went into Expert mode, found the module to read, right clicked and chose Read FDL Data, which displayed the CAFD file. I then right-clicked and chose Edit FDL, which populated all of the folders. I then switched to the FDL editor and clicked the ellipsis (...) in the top right, selected the CAFD, and clicked review. My screenshots are below (except KAFAS2, since it has only one line). As far as I can tell it all matches.
Yup, you did the right thing and that all looks right. Also, as to your earlier post around VO coding, that is correct as well.

Is your M3 a US or Euro spec car? I just noticed that you’re perhaps located in Italy? The cheat codes I created only work for US spec cars. Euro (ECE) spec cars should have GFHB coded by default. In FA, the fourth digit in Typschlüssel is 1 for ECE and 3 for US spec cars.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #1374
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Yup, you did the right thing and that all looks right. Also, as to your earlier post around VO coding, that is correct as well.

Is your M3 a US or Euro spec car? I just noticed that you’re perhaps located in Italy? The cheat codes I created only work for US spec cars. Euro (ECE) spec cars should have GFHB coded by default. In FA, the fourth digit in Typschlüssel is 1 for ECE and 3 for US spec cars.
My car is definitely US-spec.

I messaged the guy who did my coding and he advised me that my car lacks the proper hardware for the GFHBs to work optimally. It frustrates me that others with ‘18 F8x cars have GFHBs that are working properly, but mine don’t seem to want to.

Barring any new ideas, I’m going to just VO code them back to US spec tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #1375
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is definitely US-spec.

I messaged the guy who did my coding and he advised me that my car lacks the proper hardware for the GFHBs to work optimally. It frustrates me that others with ‘18 F8x cars have GFHBs that are working properly, but mine don’t seem to want to.

Barring any new ideas, I’m going to just VO code them back to US spec tomorrow.
Hmmm, that seems odd. I would think it should work as long as your headlights are labeled “BMW Adaptive LED” (just above the sidemarker LEDs) and you have KAFAS2, which should be the case if your production date is July 2017 or later.

What’s the “proper hardware” that your coder is saying is missing?
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #1376
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
What’s the “proper hardware” that your coder is saying is missing?
He said I need to replace the “bottom end to euro spec.” RealOEM shows slightly different part numbers for my headlights and the euro spec versions.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #1377
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He said I need to replace the “bottom end to euro spec.” RealOEM shows slightly different part numbers for my headlights and the euro spec versions.
RealOEM may not show correct part numbers for our headlights (it doesn’t for my VIN). My driver’s side part number is 63.11.7498923.01 and the passenger side is 63.11.7498924.01 (check the stickers on top of the headlights; part number should be at the top right, immediately below “BMW”).
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #1378
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

My driver's side light is 63.11.7498923.02 and the passenger light is 63.11.7498924.02. Those numbers didn't cross to anything I could find in RealOEM.

I VO coded the FLEs and KAFAS2 back to US specs this morning. I didn't code FEM_Body, though, because it has a lot of FDL coding done and I didn't want to undo it. I edited each of the four values individually, but I'm not 100% certain (but maybe 95%) that I selected the right value for my car. I'll give it a test tonight to see if it works normally.

Many, many thanks pmooiweer for your help with this!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #1379
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I VO coded the FLEs and KAFAS2 back to US specs this morning. I didn't code FEM_Body, though, because it has a lot of FDL coding done and I didn't want to undo it. I edited each of the four values individually, but I'm not 100% certain (but maybe 95%) that I selected the right value for my car. I'll give it a test tonight to see if it works normally.
You also have to reset FEM_BODY coding. See attached for cheat codes to reset GFHB settings for FEM_BODY and KAFAS2 to default US settings. Rather than VO coding FEM_BODY and losing your other settings, simply apply the cheat code and FDL Code the ECU.

As always, save the attached file in your Tokenmaster FDLCodes folder without the .PDF extension (extension should be .XML).

You've already successfully used the FDL Editor to review cheat code settings changes, so simply follow the same steps as before to read/edit your CAFD:
1. Open FDL editor for FEM_BODY CAFD
2. Select the cheat code and click Review to make sure the changes look OK
3. Click Apply to change to the new settings
4. Click the Save button at the top left of the editor (Floppy disk icon)
5. Click the Return button at the top left (Green Left Arrow)
6. Click "Code FDL" in the Coding section (NOT "Code", which is VO coding)

I've included a reset for KAFAS2 as well, but since you've already VO Coded that ECU there should be no need to apply that one, unless 5AP and 8S4 were removed from your FA (SALAPA element). You may want to check that by reviewing cheat code values in the FDL Editor for your KAFAS2 CAFD. "GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED" value should be 00 (or glarfreeHB_on_I001_off).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Reset_GFHB.xml.pdf (1.4 KB, 159 views)
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #1380
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
You also have to reset FEM_BODY coding. See attached for cheat codes to reset GFHB settings for FEM_BODY and KAFAS2 to default US settings. Rather than VO coding FEM_BODY and losing your other settings, simply apply the cheat code and FDL Code the ECU.

As always, save the attached file in your Tokenmaster FDLCodes folder without the .PDF extension (extension should be .XML).

You've already successfully used the FDL Editor to review cheat code settings changes, so simply follow the same steps as before to read/edit your CAFD:
1. Open FDL editor for FEM_BODY CAFD
2. Select the cheat code and click Review to make sure the changes look OK
3. Click Apply to change to the new settings
4. Click the Save button at the top left of the editor (Floppy disk icon)
5. Click the Return button at the top left (Green Left Arrow)
6. Click "Code FDL" in the Coding section (NOT "Code", which is VO coding)

I've included a reset for KAFAS2 as well, but since you've already VO Coded that ECU there should be no need to apply that one, unless 5AP and 8S4 were removed from your FA (SALAPA element). You may want to check that by reviewing cheat code values in the FDL Editor for your KAFAS2 CAFD. "GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED" value should be 00 (or glarfreeHB_on_I001_off).
I hope anyone else who needs to revert back to their original settings has the good fortune to find your post. This was supremely helpful! I guessed correctly on only two of the four values in FEM_BODY : so thanks for clearing that up! The KAFAS2 was easy, just right click the only option once drilling all the way into GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED and choose the other option.

Again, many thanks!

Don't be surprised if I come back to this thread some time in the future having swapped headlights for the euro version.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #1381
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, many thanks!

Don't be surprised if I come back to this thread some time in the future having swapped headlights for the euro version.
You’re quite welcome. It looks like you may have a slighter newer version of headlights compared to my car (part# is the same except for version number). Production date on mine is July 2017, so yours is probably a bit newer? I would think that GFHB should really work fine with those headlights and KAFAS2; no idea why it wouldn’t.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #1382
Nickolka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Silverstone II, MT

Quote:
You’re quite welcome. It looks like you may have a slighter newer version of headlights compared to my car (part# is the same except for version number). Production date on mine is July 2017, so yours is probably a bit newer? I would think that GFHB should really work fine with those headlights and KAFAS2; no idea why it wouldn’t.
I also mentioned several times in earlier posts there there is some light leaking onto the cars in front in GFHB mode when following. It does not look as severe of a leak as in your video #1367 but I have not tried being followed by my M3 yet to experience it myself

See these posts
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1330
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1321

Last edited by Nickolka; 04-29-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #1383
rebel3
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I could use a little help. I have a 2018 F80 but do not have the drivers assistant package so I don't have KAFAS2 but instead have FLA3. I'm trying to figure out what to code there.

Reading old posts I think I need to change Geschwindigkeit_Aktivierung. Currently it is set to ECE,US with Werte=28. But I'm not sure what I need to change it to.

Is there a cheat code for this? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #1384
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel3 View Post
I could use a little help. I have a 2018 F80 but do not have the drivers assistant package so I don't have KAFAS2 but instead have FLA3. I'm trying to figure out what to code there.

Reading old posts I think I need to change Geschwindigkeit_Aktivierung. Currently it is set to ECE,US with Werte=28. But I'm not sure what I need to change it to.

Is there a cheat code for this? Thanks in advance.
Use VO coding on FLA and FEM and E-sys will do the work for you. Then, use Cheat Codes for FLE.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #1385
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Apparently coding the LCI for the headlights isn't possible. I couldn't get it to work despite several tries so I emailed a few coding websites and theses are the independent responses I got:

"The reason you can’t code it is because it isn’t possible on 2018 LCI M3/M4 , you have FLE , only FLM on G Series is possible."

"Unfortunately the 2018 LCI models use the FLE modules for lighting and the hardware is different between US and ECE.
You will not be able to code Anti Dazzle High Beams without changing the headlight modules."

I knew I should have kept my 2017 that was working awesome with it... First world problems...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #1386
MarbleNY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 Sapphire Black M4 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Apparently coding the LCI for the headlights isn't possible. I couldn't get it to work despite several tries so I emailed a few coding websites and theses are the independent responses I got:

"The reason you can’t code it is because it isn’t possible on 2018 LCI M3/M4 , you have FLE , only FLM on G Series is possible."

"Unfortunately the 2018 LCI models use the FLE modules for lighting and the hardware is different between US and ECE.
You will not be able to code Anti Dazzle High Beams without changing the headlight modules."

I knew I should have kept my 2017 that was working awesome with it... First world problems...
Does your new car have the adaptive led headlights? I just got mine and was excited to have this feature enabled. My vin does say “decode, anti-dazzle....”
Appreciate 0