Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-19-2023, 03:23 AM   #133
F82keo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80naz View Post
cars been running good but this p112f is kicking my ass
took it all apart and put it back 3x and same deal- any idea where to look next?
bro did u ever resolve the code? i swear i been riding around w it for months lmao. i’m about to take everything apart again tmr & see what i can do
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:45 AM   #134
21M2Comp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

OP I'm trying to diagnose an issue which I'm hoping it is the PCV. I have a 21 M2 COMP with 9800 miles on the clock I have full Bolt on's DPs Flex fuel around 590 WHP. I installed a mishimoto catch can and the dam thing filled up well under 1000miles as they stated when I should check it. So the can filled up and MY PCV was backed up for sure which I noticed from a sluggish acceleration and rough startup. I decided to drop the belly pan and found a good mess of oil which look like it could be the oil pan gasket or rear main. I didn't want to jump the gun so I traced it to the top of the engine where it was actually coming out of the oil fill cap. so I cleaned everything up changed the oil which had less than 3k on it but looked like it had been run for 8k either due to the e85 or the catch can pushing the water and scum back into the oil. When I would start it I'm having the occasional stall rough start up an idle. Also the engine sounded like it was starved of oil like when you change it fresh and hear it just for a sec on some cars which I have never herd on the s55. But it would do it every start. I also have oil slightly coming from the fill cap sometimes. and what looks to be the RMS oil leak. So I pulled the catch can feeling its too restrictive and causing me these problems. Now the startup is good. No more dry start up but unfortunately its still ever so slightly pushing oil through the fill cap and still pushing slightly out the RMS I think. Its one of 2 things, Either there is massive blow by because of damage in the engine or because the PCV is clogged up or damaged up form the gunk coming back from the catch can. Anyone had these symptoms from the PCV issue or have herd something similar. I'm asking here because there aren't to many M2s tuned like me or having issue like this.

I attached pictures of when I first found the leak but after I cleaned it up it’s only coming from that one blot by the rear main and the oil fill cap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 09:20 AM   #135
f80naz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80

cars been down waiting on a new top mount still, i was leaking coolant in to my j pipe and tb and ill be back shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82keo View Post
bro did u ever resolve the code? i swear i been riding around w it for months lmao. i’m about to take everything apart again tmr & see what i can do
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 01:33 PM   #136
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21M2Comp View Post
OP I'm trying to diagnose an issue which I'm hoping it is the PCV. I have a 21 M2 COMP with 9800 miles on the clock I have full Bolt on's DPs Flex fuel around 590 WHP. I installed a mishimoto catch can and the dam thing filled up well under 1000miles as they stated when I should check it. So the can filled up and MY PCV was backed up for sure which I noticed from a sluggish acceleration and rough startup. I decided to drop the belly pan and found a good mess of oil which look like it could be the oil pan gasket or rear main. I didn't want to jump the gun so I traced it to the top of the engine where it was actually coming out of the oil fill cap. so I cleaned everything up changed the oil which had less than 3k on it but looked like it had been run for 8k either due to the e85 or the catch can pushing the water and scum back into the oil. When I would start it I'm having the occasional stall rough start up an idle. Also the engine sounded like it was starved of oil like when you change it fresh and hear it just for a sec on some cars which I have never herd on the s55. But it would do it every start. I also have oil slightly coming from the fill cap sometimes. and what looks to be the RMS oil leak. So I pulled the catch can feeling its too restrictive and causing me these problems. Now the startup is good. No more dry start up but unfortunately its still ever so slightly pushing oil through the fill cap and still pushing slightly out the RMS I think. Its one of 2 things, Either there is massive blow by because of damage in the engine or because the PCV is clogged up or damaged up form the gunk coming back from the catch can. Anyone had these symptoms from the PCV issue or have herd something similar. I'm asking here because there aren't to many M2s tuned like me or having issue like this.

I attached pictures of when I first found the leak but after I cleaned it up it’s only coming from that one blot by the rear main and the oil fill cap.
With sub 10K miles I'd take it right to the dealer. Shouldn't be experiencing any of this with under 10K with those mods.
      05-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #137
21M2Comp
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
With sub 10K miles I'd take it right to the dealer. Shouldn't be experiencing any of this with under 10K with those mods.
I get that but it may be cheaper to fix it myself than going back to stock. just wanted to know if with my power it over taxing the pcv.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #138
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I get that but it may be cheaper to fix it myself than going back to stock. just wanted to know if with my power it over taxing the pcv.
I’ve seen the factory PCV many times in 800+ HP configurations so while it’s possible yours is clogged it’s not that it it’s over-taxed.
      05-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #139
21M2Comp
Registered
Rep

In reference to the PCV clogging up I was watching this video about the E85 i’m mad at my tuner for not even the slightest warning about it more. I’m mad at myself for not even thinking about it. You have to do your research it’s so corrosive and there’s a lot of maintenance with it.

Check this out

https://youtu.be/bPcVBc4-5Mk
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 11:37 AM   #140
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
In reference to the PCV clogging up I was watching this video about the E85 i’m mad at my tuner for not even the slightest warning about it more. I’m mad at myself for not even thinking about it. You have to do your research it’s so corrosive and there’s a lot of maintenance with it.

Check this out

https://youtu.be/bPcVBc4-5Mk
All E85 isn't the same, either. My tuner did inform me which stations have better quality ethanol and turns out the station I've been going to isn't one of them. There's all kinds of factors that can contribute to what's good/bad. As far as corrosiveness I don't know if that's true but if you have it sitting in the tank for long periods of time, yes it's not good. Especially if you don't have an inline fuel filter. I rarely ever run full E85 it's usually E50 or E30 but for the times I do run full E85 I do make sure I run an entire cycle of petrol after.
      06-15-2023, 01:29 PM   #141
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Is N55 repair kit the same as S55 repair kit?
How do you remove existing cap? Can it be twisted and pulled out or does it have to be cut?

Thanks!!!

Mine started making the sound, I guess about 5k on stage 2 would do it…
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #142
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettertomorrow View Post
Is N55 repair kit the same as S55 repair kit?
How do you remove existing cap? Can it be twisted and pulled out or does it have to be cut?

Thanks!!!

Mine started making the sound, I guess about 5k on stage 2 would do it…
Yes the repair kit should be the same. I removed mine by very carefully using a dremmel, cut a slit in the lip off the factory PCV cap and then used a plastic wedge tool to scrape underneath and remove the glue and it pops right off. I’m sure you could use a hacksaw or something else but with a steady hand the dremel is probably exponentially easier.
      06-17-2023, 07:27 PM   #143
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Great, thank you! I did end up using dremel, made the process whole lot easier. I also did the spark plugs while I was at it, gapped them to .022-.023.

Just came back from a test drive and all seemed well! I think there is an eBay seller that sells pcv valve that is actually a match to ours but i wanted the noise gone right away and Amazon had next day delivery for this repair kit that needed modification. I think it did get the job done. Although I am somewhat concerned about blowby that may escape from these holes vs factory pcv would route blowby to catchcan. It should be okay, I guess.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 12:25 PM   #144
Vm2
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Thank you for sharing

This is a very useful post. Thank you for all the information and contribution. I may have to do this on mine, still trying to decide between diy or take it in. Wonder if anyone in Dallas area has done this, could use some hands on tip.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 01:02 PM   #145
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Commenting for reference. I am pretty sure I just got the dreaded squeal
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:32 PM   #146
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
Commenting for reference. I am pretty sure I just got the dreaded squeal
Yikes. Easy way to tell is just take the oil cap off when you hear the squeal. If it goes away and you hear a whooshing sound, it's very likely you have it.
      06-27-2023, 11:20 PM   #147
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yikes. Easy way to tell is just take the oil cap off when you hear the squeal. If it goes away and you hear a whooshing sound, it's very likely you have it.
Yeah, did the above and both are confirmed. So I got to do the fix

Remind me, as I’m taking my car in for a Crankhub anyway: the valve cover gets replaced correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 12:20 PM   #148
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
Yeah, did the above and both are confirmed. So I got to do the fix

Remind me, as I’m taking my car in for a Crankhub anyway: the valve cover gets replaced correct?
Depends who is doing the job but typically, yeah. You could just swap it out, I would. How many miles?
      08-08-2023, 01:20 PM   #149
eternalm3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just got this squeal a few days ago and I’ve been reading up on this thread for a fix. I also took the oil cap off while idle just to make sure it’s what I thought it was and it stopped the squeal and I feel the vacuum pressure. A new valve cover is already on its way, but I wanted to know if it’s bad to keep running it like so until it’s replaced?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #150
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalm3 View Post
I just got this squeal a few days ago and I’ve been reading up on this thread for a fix. I also took the oil cap off while idle just to make sure it’s what I thought it was and it stopped the squeal and I feel the vacuum pressure. A new valve cover is already on its way, but I wanted to know if it’s bad to keep running it like so until it’s replaced?
Yes. Don’t drive it, it can and will blow a seal.
      08-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #151
eternalm3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes. Don’t drive it, it can and will blow a seal.
Ok, thank you for the response
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 01:51 PM   #152
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettertomorrow View Post
Great, thank you! I did end up using dremel, made the process whole lot easier. I also did the spark plugs while I was at it, gapped them to .022-.023.

Just came back from a test drive and all seemed well! I think there is an eBay seller that sells pcv valve that is actually a match to ours but i wanted the noise gone right away and Amazon had next day delivery for this repair kit that needed modification. I think it did get the job done. Although I am somewhat concerned about blowby that may escape from these holes vs factory pcv would route blowby to catchcan. It should be okay, I guess.
What repair kit did you purchase?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #153
Seth9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I bought this, Im thinking its the wrong thing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LHT5GF...roduct_details

Does anyone have a link to the right thing?
      08-10-2023, 04:02 PM   #154
bmws1000rrperalez
Rep
Drives: 07 335i convertible, 16 M4

I have a 2016 M4 coupe and its doing the same thing can I drill 4 little holes to eliminate replacing the whole valve cover?
Appreciate 0