ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #177
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmarina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
I've been using the Mobius Action Cam for the past 2 years. Good quality videos day and night. The size is tiny. If you got a credit card and bent it in half, that's about how big it is. Best of all, it's pretty cheap. Here are some cool moments I've captured with camera.
Do you use this as your dash cam in your BMW?

Do you have any images of it mounted? is it hard wired into your battery/fuse?

can you share this information pls?

Thanks!
I use it in my F30. I just plugged it into the lighter in the glove compartment. I mounted it to the mirror stem cover. I don't have a pic at the moment but I'll post one tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #178
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmarina View Post
Do you use this as your dash cam in your BMW?

Do you have any images of it mounted? is it hard wired into your battery/fuse?

can you share this information pls?

Thanks!
Sorry for the late post. I forgot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #179
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Here is another image from below pointing up. Excuse the ghetto way I mounted it. As you can see, it leaves a really small footprint.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #180
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmarina View Post
Anyone considered another alternative to blackvue?

Ideally 2 channel, wi-fi to smartphones, discreet and with the valuable car parking mode?
I just recently installed a Thinkware F750 w/ rear camera option in my 340xi and so far have been pleased. Followed the same install process from this thread and have fortunately have not gotten a battery discharge message with the car sitting for 2days.

I have the f750 to cutoff power after 12hr and at 12.3v with low parking motion sensitivity.

So far the only thing I dislike is the size of the unit compared to Blackvue.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #181
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

Tried a few including the Blackvue DR-500Wifi. Finally settled on the BMW ACE or Advanced Car Eye front and rear DVR. I needed a 2 camera setup and it is a much cleaner set up. I don't have to mess with the additional T comp needed for the Blackvue to prevent the daily batt error. Recording during parking is also very short even with my T comp added.

Last edited by MSportTune2; 01-04-2016 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #182
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I just recently installed a Thinkware F750 w/ rear camera option in my 340xi and so far have been pleased. Followed the same install process from this thread and have fortunately have not gotten a battery discharge message with the car sitting for 2days.

I have the f750 to cutoff power after 12hr and at 12.3v with low parking motion sensitivity.

So far the only thing I dislike is the size of the unit compared to Blackvue.
How about some pictures of your install? Inside and out please.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #183
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

First, a BIG THANKS to everyone who's contributed to this post, with special shoutout to blackboxmycar , Woodengun and 808M3

I've reviewed all the input on Dashcams and will be placing an order through BlackBoxMyCar.com (Why not?!? James has been very patient answering all my questions and Alex's helpful YouTube vids on M4 installation, Cellink B Battery overview, etc. have been awesome!).

Here's what I'll be ordering :
1) Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Dashcam
2) Cellink B Battery (just going to hardwire for ACC so I completely leave the BMW battery out of this...)
3) An Add-A-Fuse to keep the the install looking good.

808M3 has found a great spot to mount the Cellink B Battery
As for the ACC (ignition) fuse location, I have come to the conclusion that we all have different "MAIN" and "ACC" fuse locations. I basically tried those locations recommended on this post and have decided on fuse slot 125 for ACC -- Apparently, it's not exactly an "ignition" fuse since mine apparently goes hot whenever a car door or trunk is open. Yes, fuse slot 125 *does* go off after about 20 minutes after you've opened the door/trunk. Note: I just wait for the trunk light to go off and then confirmed via a circuit tester that fuse slot 125 is indeed off...

Thanks again, everyone for all of the info, pix and video.
I promise to contribute to this post with pix of my install when I'm done!

Cheers,
Tony
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i

Last edited by Cooltones; 03-26-2016 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #184
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Next Friday I have my BlackVue DR650GW-2CH and B-100 Power Magic Battery Pack (10 hr park mode) installed!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #185
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Next Friday I have my BlackVue DR650GW-2CH and B-100 Power Magic Battery Pack (10 hr park mode) installed!!!!
I did as well. I used the hidden cig light port under the dash for now. I have the power magic box, but the cig port stays on for 20 minutes after I lock it, so Im happy with that. I have no battery drain issues.

What setting did you use for the power magic?
      03-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #186
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones View Post
First, a BIG THANKS to everyone who's contributed to this post, with special shoutout to blackboxmycar , Woodengun and 808M3

I've reviewed all the input on Dashcams and will be placing an order through BlackBoxMyCar.com (Why not?!? James has been very patient answering all my questions and Alex's helpful YouTube vids on M4 installation, Cellink B Battery overview, etc. have been awesome!).

2) Cellink B Battery (just going to hardwire for ACC so I completely leave the BMW battery out of this...)

As for the ACC (ignition) fuse location, I have come to the conclusion that we all have different "MAIN" and "ACC" fuse locations. I basically tried those locations recommended on this post and have decided on fuse slot 125 for ACC -- Apparently, it's not exactly an "ignition" fuse since mine apparently goes hot whenever a car door or trunk is open. Yes, fuse slot 125 *does* go off after about 20 minutes after you've opened the door/trunk. Note: I just wait for the trunk light to go off and then confirmed via a circuit tester that fuse slot 125 is indeed off...

Cheers,
Tony

I dont think the power magic box works well with the kind of batterys we have. I could be wrong, but I keep hear that.

I havent connected power magic yet. For now, I used the hidden cig ligher under the dash. It stays on 20mins after I park. Good enough until I feel comfortable with using the power magic or something else.
      03-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #187
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
I dont think the power magic box works well with the kind of batterys we have. I could be wrong, but I keep hear that.

I havent connected power magic yet. For now, I used the hidden cig ligher under the dash. It stays on 20mins after I park. Good enough until I feel comfortable with using the power magic or something else.
Have had the power magic hooked up for almost a year now - yet to have a single issue with it - very simple install once you figure out the correct live connections (ones suggested by the 'recommended' video installs were incorrect for my Vert but figured out an alternative) - have a pic somewhere here with my fuse connections.
      03-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #188
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob
Quote:

Have had the power magic hooked up for almost a year now - yet to have a single issue with it - very simple install once you figure out the correct live connections (ones suggested by the 'recommended' video installs were incorrect for my Vert but figured out an alternative) - have a pic somewhere here with my fuse connections.
Good too know! Thank you very much for confirming it does work.
      03-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #189
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yup, I've heard the same about the power magic box having challenges with our F8x vehicles, which is why I opted for an external battery -- The Cellink B battery. This way, I can have the cameras run during park mode without EVER having an issue with tapping power from the BMW battery. Trying to avoid the BMW "Battery is draining" notification, or having my comfort access stop working.
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #190
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
I did as well. I used the hidden cig light port under the dash for now. I have the power magic box, but the cig port stays on for 20 minutes after I lock it, so Im happy with that. I have no battery drain issues.

What setting did you use for the power magic?
I get it installed this Friday. The B-100 battery has the power magic integrated into it.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #191
Zackforever
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N55 M-Sport Fully Loaded

I recently installed DDPai mini for my car, clearer than I expected, and it's only $99.95, same features as Blackvue 650 does.

03-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #192
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Cheers,
Tony
Exactly my set-up. Front and rear video. Works great and I feel safer leaving the car out at night occasionally when visiting friends. Plus it's a great way to record track events. Thanks to Blackboxmycar.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #193
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Plus it's a great way to record track events.
Little off-topic, but doesn't most dash cams only record in 1, 3 or 5 minute video segments? Most track HPDE events are 20-30 minutes long. So do you then have to use a third party software/program to merge all the videos together? Will you then get a seamless and accurate 20-30 minutes footage that you can overlay your time, GPS, and other data on?

Also, there is probably no external microphone option on most dash cams, is there?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #194
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Tooner View Post
Little off-topic, but doesn't most dash cams only record in 1, 3 or 5 minute video segments? Most track HPDE events are 20-30 minutes long. So do you then have to use a third party software/program to merge all the videos together? Will you then get a seamless and accurate 20-30 minutes footage that you can overlay your time, GPS, and other data on?

Also, there is probably no external microphone option on most dash cams, is there?
Correct on both counts. The short video segments are enough for me to get a feeling back for the pass or corner event. I guess I could try to stitch them together... meh, it's just for me and my kids enjoyment anyways (short attention spans!)
As for the sound, you are correct that there is no external plug-in for a mic, but the existing mic is passable for my own use.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #195
philthy84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

Quote:

Cheers,
Tony
Been using this setup now for close to a year and not a single problem. I'm very happy with the video and sound quality. Most of all it helps with my anxiety for certain parking situations which are unavoidable and the occasional jack ass/idiot drivers on the road.

The dash cam already paid for itself when a service technician scrapped the underside of my front bumper on a parking block during my break-in service. The dealership accepted all responsibility no questioned asked and fixed the scratched paint and the Xpel that was peeling off due to being scraped. I even offered to show them the footage but they didn't require it since I'm assuming the guy owned up to his mistake. For the inconvenience I was given a pretty nice discount on the CF rear spoiler as well.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #196
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Tooner View Post

Yes, if u use registrator viewer software you can merge all the video clips together without overlapping. It plays smooth and also keeps your original gps/time data.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #197
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

Just added a few more pix of my install below:

Hey Folks!
Got my Blackvue 650GW 2CH and Cellink Battery and just completed my install. Thanks to BlackBoxMyCar.com videos and helpful staff (Alex, James & Justin) I was up and running in about an hour. Most of the install time was making sure all the wires were tucked and the cameras lined up properly. One modification that you might want to do, beyond what Alex shared on his M4 video install, is to run the Dashcam power cable along the driver side and the Rear Dashcam coax along the passenger side. It made "stuffing" the wires a bit easier.

The nice thing about the Cellink Battery is that there is a switch to turn the battery OFF. I think this may be easier to do than to unplug-plug-unplug...the power cable from the front dashcam.

Powered it up and all worked well!

Cheers,
-Tony

Front Dashcam mounted so that the sticky mount is CENTERED. Some of you also installed it this way to ensure that the Dashcam did not get in the way of the "auto high-beam sensor".

My BEFORE Installation:

My AFTER Installation:

The Add-A-Fuse (I used a 20A fuse that came with the Cellink Battery kit) made the install look clean:

Cool BlackBoxMyCar sticker!

You can barely see the Blackvue when sitting in the drivers seat

Front Dashcam centered with the sticky mount - I verified that this was enough to clear the auto high beam camera

Power and Rear Dashcam coax cables mounted:

Rear Dashcam mounted - If you have the rear window shade, be sure the dashcam AND camera lens clear!

Last edited by Cooltones; 04-03-2016 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #198
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hi guys

I have a local installer as I'm not too technical when it comes to this

He said that he doesn't recommend the black vue due to it interfering with the dab signal and has recommended an alternative

Has anyone else experienced fhis?

Also so I can give him some details, is it best to use the blackvue with the Cellink b?

Would like to make sure he does it properly the first time
Appreciate 0