ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #89
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

congrats on the car! i just got back from a drive in my m3 that was meant to give my 18mo.old and 3 yr old a nap. worked like a charm i have the passive suspension but had active in the 2015 m3 I had before and they're both slightly harsh but not overly so. I'm quite happy with the ride. I think that the overall look of the ATS-V interior is passable but the quality of the buttons seemed less nice than the M3. still fine but I just noticed and it's a big deal to me. many people probably aren't as nit picky. I didn't drive the atsv but I think the atsv, m3, and c63 are all so close that it comes down more to preference than a 1/10sec or a 1/10G or whatever. most people here will prefer the M3/4 bc, duh, that's what tickled our fancy. I don't hate the ATSV and like that it's less common.. and I am sure it's a blast to drive! I hope you enjoy it!

would you mind sharing the msrp and sale price on the atsv? I got my 68k car for 63k and curious how the ATSV is being discounted. that's one thing that would sway me potentially, a decent savings below the m3.

thanks!

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #90
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
congrats on the car! i just got back from a drive in my m3 that was meant to give my 18mo.old and 3 yr old a nap. worked like a charm i have the passive suspension but had active in the 2015 m3 I had before and they're both slightly harsh but not overly so. I'm quite happy with the ride. I think that the overall look of the ATS-V interior is passable but the quality of the buttons seemed less nice than the M3. still fine but I just noticed and it's a big deal to me. many people probably aren't as nit picky. I didn't drive the atsv but I think the atsv, m3, and c63 are all so close that it comes down more to preference than a 1/10sec or a 1/10G or whatever. most people here will prefer the M3/4 bc, duh, that's what tickled our fancy. I don't hate the ATSV and like that it's less common.. and I am sure it's a blast to drive! I hope you enjoy it!

would you mind sharing the msrp and sale price on the atsv? I got my 68k car for 63k and curious how the ATSV is being discounted. that's one thing that would sway me potentially, a decent savings below the m3.

thanks!
Msrp was 73,400 and selling price was 66,604.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #91
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

thanks!
Msrp was 73,400 and selling price was 66,604.
similar to the Ms. when I think about suburban and Yukons that cost 60+ it makes me feel like these cars are actually great for the money!!

I hope the car is everything you want and yes, we are interested to see your longer term impressions!

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #92
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I find these types of threads to be interesting. Instead of congratulating OP's new car purchase and wishing him well, posters respond with criticism because he dare point out issues with the F80 M3 he had.

Its ironic for some of you guys to say "congrats on the car but imho it looks terrible." If thats your response don't post it at all. If he likes the ATS-V, if it puts a smile on his face, and if he dares to prefer a vehicle over the m3 thats his right / opinion to say so. Every car has its + & - people need to realize that any automotive manufacturer can have a vehicle with flaws and quality issues.

With that said, OP congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it in good health. Cheers.
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #93
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3ifyoucann View Post
I find these types of threads to be interesting. Instead of congratulating OP's new car purchase and wishing him well, posters respond with criticism because he dare point out issues with the F80 M3 he had.

Its ironic for some of you guys to say "congrats on the car but imho it looks terrible." If thats your response don't post it at all. If he likes the ATS-V, if it puts a smile on his face, and if he dares to prefer a vehicle over the m3 thats his right / opinion to say so. Every car has its + & - people need to realize that any automotive manufacturer can have a vehicle with flaws and quality issues.

Thanks!

Took the wife for a spin today and her first comment was "shit this car sounds scarier than the m3"

My experience with the m3 could've been different if I had optioned it the same way as the ATS. If I could do it over again on the m3 I would've gotten exec pkg, full leather along with HUD and DCT.

I'm happy with the ATS so far. My first American car and I'm impressed with the overall pkg.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #94
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

The shakespearean words: "Uneasy lies thy crown" is so apt here. The new BMW M3/M4 is a different beast entirely than its forebears. When I think M3 .. I think "simple", "compact", "honest", "engaging", and "doing more with less". It was recognized as the epitome of balance and precision. The duality of being a proper sports coupe/sedan but still being every bit as a daily driver as a 325i.

The new M3/M4 still puts smiles on people's faces but for different reasons. Now it's about the (massively underrated) powerful TT I6 more than anything else and the menacing look. It's as if BMW has built their own version of the Corvette. In fact, it seems that there's a bit of a role reversal at work here.

There's no right or wrong here, just preferences. However, one thing that really is raising the eyebrows is the eye-watering price. I hope the M2 nicely fills the gap in the $55K-60K range especially when the domestic competition is getting better all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #95
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:

It's a reflection on them. Insecure.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #96
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:

Umm, silly post. So you're saying to only post if you want to kiss ass and only approve of someone's decision. That would make this forum and the internet in general useless. Fact is he posted in a public forum, a BMW ///M specific forum at that. So obviously it will illicit responses from both perspectives because after all there is freedom of speech and to add the notion that an M3 was hazardous for a baby to be transported in was absurd.

If I said I go grocery shopping and buy lots of eggs but the M3 ride was very harsh and jarring and feared for the safe arrival of my eggs to home so I traded for a C63 AMG....thats complete "bullocks" and I'm not even british.
Below is the beginning of the post....usually when you decide to mention something first, that is your foundation of "concern"...
Then he goes on to throw the rattle card, ok, it rattles, so you traded for an ATS-V because your M3 rattles....plausible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
Traded in my F80M for a new ATS-V sedan.

background: I originally bought the M3 thinking I would need it as a second car for my newborn. After 6 months or so my son has been in the m3 once when I took him home from the hospital. I was so nervous with how stiff the ride was in comfort mode. That was the first and last time he rode in the car. I mainly use the GS F sport when I take him places.
-First of all I am sure the DOT(and whoever else) certified the safety considerations of transporting a human child in a BMW M3 and deemed it perfectly safe. Pretty certain that after injuring and causing brain damage to so many children they figured out a good formula for a safe suspension. Of course a person may have a higher standard than the DOT or everyone else on this forum, so the sensible thing to do would be to get a nice civil 3 series or ATS, but no, I need the that track ready twin turbo 464hp super sedan with a top speed of 185mph.....yeah because that sounds reasonable and a totally sensible compromise.

-Secondly, whether the car is too stiff for you is fine, say that and get another car.
I don't care why you decide to do what you want, it's your money, but if you say it in "public" then I'm assuming you want this audience whom you spoke to, to comment. And they will, from all their perspectives.

-Third, your splitting hairs going from one high performance sedan to the next to transport a human child. If the "real" justification was to transport this child in comfort then a much better choice would be to stay away from the super sedan in each model sector. The AMG, -V, ///M, RS, etc are all cars that share a primary foremost focus on performance, the ride will be stiff in all compared to the standard model and all will be comparatively stiff compared to one another, or how else could they compete with each other. Sure there might be a difference but it is minuscule, at least that's what people like Randy Pobst say when testing them back to back.

-Fourth, rattles....ok I'l buy it. My doors creaked, they greased them and the car is quiet....but no where near as quiet as the 550 loaner I drove. I realise that ultimately the car is about performance and when you are extracting and enjoying this performance then the compromise with the insulation shines through, but I value the performance more....and I say that because I owned an STI and Evo X and those cars rattled like crazy but I enjoyed them because I knew what I was paying for.
You should go read the thread I left in the EvoXforums regarding switching from my Evo to an M3....I got hammered by the majority for being so "dumb" and going to an inferior car.
Now if rattles bother you, I can understand the issue with something like this for some, but the baby excuse would drive a staunchly protective parent to buy a Honda Odyssey or Subaru Outback.

And by the way, I was one of the ones who said congrats, but the ATS-V isn't my cup of tea.
Appreciate 5
      01-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #97
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Trolling....obviously.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #98
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
This is kind of a crazy thing to say on a BMW forum. Not sure it makes you any better than the guys you are commenting on.

OP - Congratulations on the car. I honestly and sincerely could drive every car in this category, with a particular interest in the RC-F. I just love the way that thing looks. I have seen a ATS-V coupe but not yet a sedan. Like you point out, it has a lot more presence in person than in pictures. Hope you find what you were looking for in the switch.
      01-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #99
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Quote:

Yeah, what's up with that? So I second this motion........good job, good choice, kd. A little $#@&ing bad-ass mini CTS-V you've got there.

Speaking of which, was looking @ the old C&D comparo from a few months ago and noticed a 6-point spread from 1st (M3.....207) to 3rd (ATS-V....201). C63 was at 204. One quick glance at subjective scores and it all becomes clear. Quite possibly a total tie score -1.....1a.....1b. All super choices depending on preference.

Then I recall the MT article where C63 -- ATS-V -- M3 was the order, but with no scores provided, as usual.

Generally, people bitched about CUE, but Caddy has since applied some fixes; should no longer be a problem.

Other people bitch about the interior appointments; supposedly not that luxurious. Well, that's call a price-point-tradeoff, in my words. A tremendous amount of the cost was - like M Division - put to chassis and handling dynamics, hence a less spartan interior. Looks fine to me! I'm just a regular person, man. Used to cloth interiors, for cryin out loud, so I happen to like the tradeoff and lower base price.

C63? Good news & bad news.. A lot of attention (translation: cost) applied to chassis/handling as well. But do you see that interior!?? New standard in the class; Audi has been surpassed. The bad news? That's call a NO price-point-tradeoff, aka, Just charge ze consumer more, says MB boss man Dieter Zetsche. No, MB does not give away all that interior sweetness for free. They add it to the MSRP.

Translation: You get what you pay for, and there may be a tradeoff. A little less of something else, to include less cash in your wallet after you leave ze Benz dealership.

Then, people like me, in this embarrassing full disclosure, bitch & moan about it not having the 'Vette's 6.2 V-8.......but ideally the 427? See what I mean? Imagine 7.0 liters of V-8 under that hood? I got issues. Clearly, right? But that's from my unreasonable obsession with naturally aspirated V-8s; the bigger the better. I don't even like the latest 4.0 TT trend; all CAFE standards and emissions related downsizing. Hell, to this day prefer the E9x' V8 over the new 3.0 TT.

Still, that's no showstopper if I see an ATS-V offer I can't refuse when the time comes. The design is quite aggressively and menacingly well done, and from what I'm told, that 3.5 liter boosted V-6 is every bit as beastly as an NA V-8..........as the powertrain and performance numbers seem to verify.

Once again, good job and good choice, kd.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #100
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Umm, silly post. So you're saying to only post if you want to kiss ass and only approve of someone's decision. That would make this forum and the internet in general useless. Fact is he posted in a public forum, a BMW ///M specific forum at that. So obviously it will illicit responses from both perspectives because after all there is freedom of speech and to add the notion that an M3 was hazardous for a baby to be transported in was absurd.

If I said I go grocery shopping and buy lots of eggs but the M3 ride was very harsh and jarring and feared for the safe arrival of my eggs to home so I traded for a C63 AMG....thats complete "bullocks" and I'm not even british.
Below is the beginning of the post....usually when you decide to mention something first, that is your foundation of "concern"...
Then he goes on to throw the rattle card, ok, it rattles, so you traded for an ATS-V because your M3 rattles....plausible...

-First of all I am sure the DOT(and whoever else) certified the safety considerations of transporting a human child in a BMW M3 and deemed it perfectly safe. Pretty certain that after injuring and causing brain damage to so many children they figured out a good formula for a safe suspension. Of course a person may have a higher standard than the DOT or everyone else on this forum, so the sensible thing to do would be to get a nice civil 3 series or ATS, but no, I need the that track ready twin turbo 464hp super sedan with a top speed of 185mph.....yeah because that sounds reasonable and a totally sensible compromise.

Valid point, but I think you'll have to drive both cars back to back and see what I mean when the M3 has a rough ride compared to the ATS-V. It's more of a peace of mind thing for me. One of the posters mentioned the ATS-V is a sidestep from the M3 and that's somewhat true since they're really the same car but one has a more comfy ride when you need it to.

-Secondly, whether the car is too stiff for you is fine, say that and get another car.
I don't care why you decide to do what you want, it's your money, but if you say it in "public" then I'm assuming you want this audience whom you spoke to, to comment. And they will, from all their perspectives.

-Third, your splitting hairs going from one high performance sedan to the next to transport a human child. If the "real" justification was to transport this child in comfort then a much better choice would be to stay away from the super sedan in each model sector. The AMG, -V, ///M, RS, etc are all cars that share a primary foremost focus on performance, the ride will be stiff in all compared to the standard model and all will be comparatively stiff compared to one another, or how else could they compete with each other. Sure there might be a difference but it is minuscule, at least that's what people like Randy Pobst say when testing them back to back.

Same point as number 1. The difference is most likely due to magnetic ride control and that GM has this department down

-Fourth, rattles....ok I'l buy it. My doors creaked, they greased them and the car is quiet....but no where near as quiet as the 550 loaner I drove. I realise that ultimately the car is about performance and when you are extracting and enjoying this performance then the compromise with the insulation shines through, but I value the performance more....and I say that because I owned an STI and Evo X and those cars rattled like crazy but I enjoyed them because I knew what I was paying for.
You should go read the thread I left in the EvoXforums regarding switching from my Evo to an M3....I got hammered by the majority for being so "dumb" and going to an inferior car.
Now if rattles bother you, I can understand the issue with something like this for some, but the baby excuse would drive a staunchly protective parent to buy a Honda Odyssey or Subaru Outback.

we have the GS350 and the M3/ATS-V was/is a backup car. This is why I didn't get an SUV or something similar.

And by the way, I was one of the ones who said congrats, but the ATS-V isn't my cup of tea.
Thanks for keeping it civil
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #101
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBM View Post
Yeah, what's up with that? So I second this motion........good job, good choice, kd. A little $#@&ing bad-ass mini CTS-V you've got there.

Speaking of which, was looking @ the old C&D comparo from a few months ago and noticed a 6-point spread from 1st (M3.....207) to 3rd (ATS-V....201). C63 was at 204. One quick glance at subjective scores and it all becomes clear. Quite possibly a total tie score -1.....1a.....1b. All super choices depending on preference.

Then I recall the MT article where C63 -- ATS-V -- M3 was the order, but with no scores provided, as usual.

Generally, people bitched about CUE, but Caddy has since applied some fixes; should no longer be a problem.

Other people bitch about the interior appointments; supposedly not that luxurious. Well, that's call a price-point-tradeoff, in my words. A tremendous amount of the cost was - like M Division - put to chassis and handling dynamics, hence a less spartan interior. Looks fine to me! I'm just a regular person, man. Used to cloth interiors, for cryin out loud, so I happen to like the tradeoff and lower base price.

C63? Good news & bad news.. A lot of attention (translation: cost) applied to chassis/handling as well. But do you see that interior!?? New standard in the class; Audi has been surpassed. The bad news? That's call a NO price-point-tradeoff, aka, Just charge ze consumer more, says MB boss man Dieter Zetsche. No, MB does not give away all that interior sweetness for free. They add it to the MSRP.

Translation: You get what you pay for, and there may be a tradeoff. A little less of something else, to include less cash in your wallet after you leave ze Benz dealership.

Then, people like me, in this embarrassing full disclosure, bitch & moan about it not having the 'Vette's 6.2 V-8.......but ideally the 427? See what I mean? Imagine 7.0 liters of V-8 under that hood? I got issues. Clearly, right? But that's from my unreasonable obsession with naturally aspirated V-8s; the bigger the better. I don't even like the latest 4.0 TT trend; all CAFE standards and emissions related downsizing. Hell, to this day prefer the E9x' V8 over the new 3.0 TT.

Still, that's no showstopper if I see an ATS-V offer I can't refuse when the time comes. The design is quite aggressively and menacingly well done, and from what I'm told, that 3.5 liter boosted V-6 is every bit as beastly as an NA V-8..........as the powertrain and performance numbers seem to verify.

Once again, good job and good choice, kd.
At the time when I purchased the M3 I thought about the C63 but it was not widely available and no discounts to be given. It also doesn't help that a nicely equipped C63S would be north of 80k while my M3 with discount was $63k.

All these cars are so close in performance that anyone would be happy with either one. But then there's a price difference and minor things that would sway a buyer to one and not the other. For me I wanted a softer ride while not giving up performance and rattle free (which I'll have to wait and see if GM has improved on this according to some posts). Price was an added plus since a similarly equipped M3 would've been $78,845 MSRP while the ATS-V was $73,400.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #102
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
Thanks for keeping it civil
Hey, you have a great car. The ATS-V is surely an amazing car and no one can argue that it is a real brute in the performance dept. It's a great time to choose between all these sedans/coupes. Who ever tries to stake some form of claim for any one, is a fool. The numbers are very close, and the interiors are all pretty stellar in their own way, they each target something specific with the exterior....you can choose either for a number of reasons and still be justified in the choice.

ps: My post wasn't meant for you anyhow, it was for the dude I quoted. I applaud you for taking the leap into the ATS-V and choosing the car you feel serves your needs and not being a badge snob. I may not agree with your reasoning, but I have to accept it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #103
vstM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Congrats to you for switching to an American brand. I am considering it too for my next daily driver. Supporting the economy of where you live is a good thing
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #104
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstM3 View Post
Congrats to you for switching to an American brand. I am considering it too for my next daily driver. Supporting the economy of where you live is a good thing
now if Ford dealerships weren't such snobs with the GT350 I would've sold my Z4MC in a heartbeat to get one.

I just can't help it but hate having to deal with ford/chevy dealerships. When I was searching for a C7 vette, nobody in my area wanted anything less than a couple grand over MSRP. They didn't even entertain the idea of letting me test drive the vette. Ford didn't even bother calling me back when I wanted to put a deposit down on the GT350 if they were willing to do MSRP. I probably contacted at least 5 dealerships in northern CA and none called me back.

I was pleasantly surprised with the 3 caddy dealerships I worked with. 2 were willing to do supplier pricing and dealer discount through a rebate w/o any questions and another called me back to decline since they only had one ATS-V in stock. Although the dealer i bought the car from tried to use different lease terms, in the end I noticed all the details and got what I wanted from them. The next thing I have to be aware of is servicing. If all goes as well as I expect, Caddy will get my $$ again in the future.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #105
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Hey, you have a great car. The ATS-V is surely an amazing car and no one can argue that it is a real brute in the performance dept. It's a great time to choose between all these sedans/coupes. Who ever tries to stake some form of claim for any one, is a fool. The numbers are very close, and the interiors are all pretty stellar in their own way, they each target something specific with the exterior....you can choose either for a number of reasons and still be justified in the choice.

ps: My post wasn't meant for you anyhow, it was for the dude I quoted. I applaud you for taking the leap into the ATS-V and choosing the car you feel serves your needs and not being a badge snob. I may not agree with your reasoning, but I have to accept it.
it's a good time for those looking for a performance oriented sedan.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #106
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Good article on what is an American car. I didn't know that the Camaro wasn't

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/ho...rican-car.html

And BMW X5s are made in the USA. My Z3 was made in the USA.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #107
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post

Thats why they have so many quality issues probably haha
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #108
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Going by value and not quantity, BMW is the #1 exporter of automobiles in the US. Every single SUV they make is produced in South Carolina. I learned this during my visit to the facility last December.

So yes support where you live, buy a BMW.
      01-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #109
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post

there was a thread on cadillacforums detailing % of parts made in the US

I think it was 55% or something like that

Engine was made in Austria
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #110
vstM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
Quote:
Going by value and not quantity, BMW is the #1 exporter of automobiles in the US. Every single SUV they make is produced in South Carolina. I learned this during my visit to the facility last December.

So yes support where you live, buy a BMW.
I think you support more buy buying american brand not german. But this thread is not about that debate, i was just appreciating op's patriotism
Appreciate 0