European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

European Delivery - must do's & other recommendations

For you that have done the ED, what are the must do's while there? Also, any recommendations for hotels, dining, etc?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Go over to bimmerfest's euro delivery section. There is a wealth of info there. Short answer to your question is: it depends on what you're looking to do. Reason being that there are a ton of things to see and do. Below is a list of just "some" of the things I would do (or suggest you do) just to give you an idea.

Munich: Residenz or Nymphemburg Palace (pick one), Hofbrauhaus, Englische Garten, Marienplatz (few things to see here), Dachau Concentration Camp which is nearby, etc. Then drive to other cities to visit factories, castles, wineries, etc.

Austria is about 90 mins away and there are a lot of things to see there as well.

It would be helpful if you can tell us how long you plan on being there and what you want to do (more driving with the car or a balance of driving and sightseeing).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

I am going this summer for my first ED and trip to Europe. I am taking my family and we plan on hitting major cities in Germany and Northern Italy. Would I recommend this to everyone? No. If I had been to Europe before or was going by myself or with some buddies who are into cars, my trip would look a lot different.

Really need to know more details about what experience you want before I could say what to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #4
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
I am going this summer for my first ED and trip to Europe. I am taking my family and we plan on hitting major cities in Germany and Northern Italy. Would I recommend this to everyone? No. If I had been to Europe before or was going by myself or with some buddies who are into cars, my trip would look a lot different.

Really need to know more details about what experience you want before I could say what to do.
Thanks guys for the response. My wife and I will only have about 4-5 days to enjoy it. This is both our first time there.

I'm guessing the first couple days will be picking the car up, car museum, and sightseeing around Munich. The other couple days I was hoping to take a nice mountainous drive. Maybe drive 1/2 way one day with stops along the way and stay the night somewhere midway. Next day finish the drive/sightseeing and possibly end back in Munich.

I'm trying to research as much as I can, but any advice on smaller day trip scenic routes would be great!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:39 AM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bproden View Post
Thanks guys for the response. My wife and I will only have about 4-5 days to enjoy it. This is both our first time there.

I'm guessing the first couple days will be picking the car up, car museum, and sightseeing around Munich. The other couple days I was hoping to take a nice mountainous drive. Maybe drive 1/2 way one day with stops along the way and stay the night somewhere midway. Next day finish the drive/sightseeing and possibly end back in Munich.

I'm trying to research as much as I can, but any advice on smaller day trip scenic routes would be great!
Head to fussen, then west through switzerland to zurich via 11 (sustenstrasse) then back to munich.

Alternatively (my preference since i think castles are a snoozer) , head to zurich asap, sightsee & overnight, head southwest to interlaken, south to the furka pass which takes you back east then northeast back to munich. Or rather than go as far south as furka takes sustenstrasse east. Stunning drive and super easy along a lesser traveled route.

For Switzerland and Austria you'll need vests and vignettes. Don't speed. Seriously.

If you want to speed take the autobahn north to baden baden or Hamburg, drive back towards leipzig and then south through the center towns, maybe towards hersbruck area. Crazy goofy towns and fantastic drivers roads.

Some of my sustenstrasse pics from October are in here

Last edited by GrussGott; 03-03-2015 at 01:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:42 AM   #6
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
For you that have done the ED, what are the must do's while there? Also, any recommendations for hotels, dining, etc?
"The Castle" and drive the passes in Switzerland... E43 to 19 to 6 then 11.. Furjastrasse Grimselpass, Guttannen, Innerkirchen, Sustentrasse..

Its just EPIC... If I didn't have a co-pilot I would of just stayed out in BFE in Switzerland, Austria, Germany. An avoided the tourist trap areas.

Anything in the Alps is epic.. just epic roads.. breath taking.

Can I go with you? I would also stay at the local B&Bs, great food, great experiences.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post

Need your feedback on Italy. Based on some of the feedback from members who have done ED (Stolen wheels, narrow roads, crazy drivers), I am contemplating removing it altogether from my route.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Need your feedback on Italy. Based on some of the feedback from members who have done ED (Stolen wheels, narrow roads, crazy drivers), I am contemplating removing it altogether from my route.
I'll have to let you know. I think it will be ok because we will likely take main roads as we are hitting most of the "tourist traps".

I'm actually worried about the driving overall. Want to enjoy the car and the sights, but worried I'll be spending a lot of time figuring my way around, learning the street signs, and avoiding crazy drivers.

Should be back at the end of July, so PM me if I don't write an ED journal post.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Go to Prague!

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Get away from some of the main sights. Go to smaller towns in Bavaria, like Wuerzburg, Bayreuth, Bamberg, Aschaffenburg. Drive along the Main, Miltenberg etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #11
M3Fahrer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Berchtesgaden
Salzburg
Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse (there are some cool places to check along the way to Grossglockner from Salzburg, like Zell am See)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
Go to Prague!
I second that!!
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Susten Pass very early in the morning when there's no cars.

If you miss that your ED is not complete.

It's one of the best roads for spirited driving in the world.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fahrer
Berchtesgaden
Salzburg
Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse (there are some cool places to check along the way to Grossglockner from Salzburg, like Zell am See)
This. I so wished that the Grossglockner high alpine road was open when I did ED. Next time. Spent a night in Zell am See/ Kaprun too!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yeah, neither my wife nor I liked any of italy driving - we actually went way out of our way to stay in France rather than go back into Italy.

For context:

* We've been to the EU plenty of times before (20?) incl Italy
* We've driven in lots of countries in rentals, and one previous ED (mostly germany)
* Italy this ED followed a few days in germany / Switzerland

It could be this last thing that jaded us (because the German / Swiss roads are so awesome), but we didn't even like the italian freeways. This is not a ding on Italy at all - Milan was probably our favorite city and previously it's probably Florence.

For any future EDs I'm going to stay in germany/Switzerland/Austria.

If I was going to do Italy on an ED I'd park in Zurich and train it to Milan and elsewhere and rent a car if I wanted to do the lakes or something. I would sleep like a baby with my car in Zurich. Then I'd train back to zurich, pick up the car, and continue the trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #16
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
yeah, neither my wife nor I liked any of italy driving - we actually went way out of our way to stay in France rather than go back into Italy.

For context:

* We've been to the EU plenty of times before (20?) incl Italy
* We've driven in lots of countries in rentals, and one previous ED (mostly germany)
* Italy this ED followed a few days in germany / Switzerland

It could be this last thing that jaded us (because the German / Swiss roads are so awesome), but we didn't even like the italian freeways. This is not a ding on Italy at all - Milan was probably our favorite city and previously it's probably Florence.

For any future EDs I'm going to stay in germany/Switzerland/Austria.

If I was going to do Italy on an ED I'd park in Zurich and train it to Milan and elsewhere and rent a car if I wanted to do the lakes or something. I would sleep like a baby with my car in Zurich. Then I'd train back to zurich, pick up the car, and continue the trip.
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of doing the other three countries as well. Is Monaco doable? Not sure if anyone vetured down that way?

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Anyone mind getting me some authentic lederhosen and I will you back? Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #18
IRNM4N
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also depends on when you go as the passes are closed outside of summer months. I am going 4/25 and will unfortunately miss driving them this time. We plan to do Munich for a couple days, drive down to Lake Como through Austria/Swiss then hang around there and finally head down to Nice to drop the car before taking the train to Monaco, etc.

Let us know what you decide to do!
      03-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of doing the other three countries as well. Is Monaco doable? Not sure if anyone vetured down that way?
Definitely! You don't need to go through Italy to get there and you can take the Route Napoleon if you want.

I'd recommend driving to Nice and parking there. There's a good ramp on the corner of Rue Du Congres and Prom Des Anglais - drive to the lower levels and you can get a single protected spot.

You can then stay in Nice and take the train, bus, or helicopter in to Monaco or you can just stay in Monaco. Don't miss the Prince's car collection!

SuckaGDog added good stuff here
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:46 PM   #20
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRNM4N View Post
Also depends on when you go as the passes are closed outside of summer months. I am going 4/25 and will unfortunately miss driving them this time. We plan to do Munich for a couple days, drive down to Lake Como through Austria/Swiss then hang around there and finally head down to Nice to drop the car before taking the train to Monaco, etc.

Let us know what you decide to do!
Very good point on the passes. I went last May toward the end of the month and not all the passes were open yet, some still had snow and ice! There are electronic signs down the mountain that tell you which ones are open. There is also a website that is live and up to date with pass information.

Also plan on filling up with fuel before you get near Lake Como the prices on fuel there are higher than outside surrounding area. Enjoy your trip!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #21
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Definitely! You don't need to go through Italy to get there and you can take the Route Napoleon if you want.

I'd recommend driving to Nice and parking there. There's a good ramp on the corner of Rue Du Congres and Prom Des Anglais - drive to the lower levels and you can get a single protected spot.

You can then stay in Nice and take the train, bus, or helicopter in to Monaco or you can just stay in Monaco. Don't miss the Prince's car collection!

SuckaGDog added good stuff here
Thank man. You even have the parking spots memorized That's awesome

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #22
funk74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
For those that did ED, is there any paint protection product you used to prevent rock chips? Or are the roads that good?

thanks.
Appreciate 0