Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

09-01-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition 6MT

Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 vs Nokian Hakkapaliitta R5?

Howdy!

I have been trying to do a lot of research regarding winter tires for the upcoming season so that I've got everything purchased and ready before the cold months arrive. I'm pretty split on what I believe the best route for a winter set is going to be.

I am leaning pretty heavily towards the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 as a performance winter tire to preserve the nice driving characteristics of the M3 as much as possible, but understand the tradeoff there is generally ultimate snow and ice traction. Since I live in the Issaquah highlands, this is pretty much the one thing keeping me from being entirely set on performance winter tires, especially given how well they do with cold rain. Being able to make it up the big hills during a winter storm is something I need to be able to do.

All that said, I have a pretty long commute during workdays and need to be able to get into my office regardless of winter weather a lot of times. This is where I'm wondering if something like the Nokian Hakkas are going to be a better option. I get that they will certainly provide better pure winter performance, but are they too much of a compromise on the car's performance for the other 80% of days in our PNW winters?

I'd love to hear experiences from anyone that has either tire on their own vehicle (Hakka R3 I'm sure is what people would have since the R5 is unreleased). The Michelins seem to be great option for a performance vehicle, but I've also just seen so many people say that they'd never have any winter tire other than a Nokian after trying them once.

Help a native Texan out!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
thekidd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: @a_anders0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoComp View Post
Howdy!

I have been trying to do a lot of research regarding winter tires for the upcoming season so that I've got everything purchased and ready before the cold months arrive. I'm pretty split on what I believe the best route for a winter set is going to be.

I am leaning pretty heavily towards the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 as a performance winter tire to preserve the nice driving characteristics of the M3 as much as possible, but understand the tradeoff there is generally ultimate snow and ice traction. Since I live in the Issaquah highlands, this is pretty much the one thing keeping me from being entirely set on performance winter tires, especially given how well they do with cold rain. Being able to make it up the big hills during a winter storm is something I need to be able to do.

All that said, I have a pretty long commute during workdays and need to be able to get into my office regardless of winter weather a lot of times. This is where I'm wondering if something like the Nokian Hakkas are going to be a better option. I get that they will certainly provide better pure winter performance, but are they too much of a compromise on the car's performance for the other 80% of days in our PNW winters?

I'd love to hear experiences from anyone that has either tire on their own vehicle (Hakka R3 I'm sure is what people would have since the R5 is unreleased). The Michelins seem to be great option for a performance vehicle, but I've also just seen so many people say that they'd never have any winter tire other than a Nokian after trying them once.

Help a native Texan out!
I switch to the MPS A/S sometime in October. I've never used dedicated winter tires but my work is also flexible when it snows. I would assume living in the highlands - if you can telecommute - you could argue not being able to safely go up and down the hill. If you're worried about rain, I tracked on MPSS during rain and was fine (obviously moving slower) so again winter tires are not necessary. Hope this helps with a decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Late to the discussion, but winters are a much better option. Have the Pilot Alpin SUV on my X5 and like them. Nokians and the X-Ice will turn better on snow and ice, but the Alpins are better in rain and slush.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 02:59 PM   #4
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
Late to the discussion, but winters are a much better option. Have the Pilot Alpin SUV on my X5 and like them. Nokians and the X-Ice will turn better on snow and ice, but the Alpins are better in rain and slush.
I agree! I actually did end up finding a set of 437M with Hakka R3s on them, and I don’t have any regrets. It was unstoppable in the recent cold snap we had a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0