R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Rangerrotty
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5d

Accident in Carfax history

I am interested in a nicely optioned 2016 M3 with just under 25,000 miles being sold by a "local" BMW dealer. My question is, with all things being equal to a car without an accident on the Carfax, what impact to the sale price does that make? 5%, 10%, other? I assume all the damage was repaired, but I have not seen the car in person yet.

Here is what the Carfax says:

Accident reported
Involving front impact
It hit a tree
Vehicle ran off road
Front primarily damaged
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

I wouldn't buy this car
Appreciate 10
clutchdj1851.50
stormlv928.00
hellokitty2883.50
Draper3454.00
Empathy30.00
      11-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Determining the impact to MSRP is going to depend on the buyer. I personally would never buy any car that has been in an accident. This accident appears to be somewhat significant. I would use that to your advantage and ask for a substantial discount. If they say no; who cares. Walk out and tell them to call you in a month when it is still sitting there.
Appreciate 1
Jaymax85710.00
      11-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Dude, hitting a tree is no joke.

There's almost 100% shit wrong with the engine that hasn't surfaced yet.
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Don't be too desperate to get any car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Surprised it wasn't a write off.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Agree with others in that I wouldn't buy it. However to answer your question, I think the price impact should be more than 5% - 10% unless really minor with proof it is really minor. I'd think more like 20% - 25%, possibly more for a major accident like the one this car sounds like it was in.
ASAP10049.50
Jaymax85710.00
      11-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
BMW Morgan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CP

Carfax accident will affect the market value. This vehicle should be priced on the lower end of the range against vehicles with comparable equipment and mileage. Do research, have the car inspected privately, etc. I wouldn't go in haggling the dealer on price if you haven't done your homework.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Never ever ever buy a car with a record... insurance companies scam people and give loss of value claims of $1k... lol

The car automatically loses 5-10k based on perception alone, and that is if you are lucky enough to find a buyer... are you sure you want to be that buyer and always deal with that record?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrotty View Post
I am interested in a nicely optioned 2016 M3 with just under 25,000 miles being sold by a "local" BMW dealer. My question is, with all things being equal to a car without an accident on the Carfax, what impact to the sale price does that make? 5%, 10%, other? I assume all the damage was repaired, but I have not seen the car in person yet.

Accident reported
Involving front impact
It hit a tree
Vehicle ran off road
Front primarily damaged
I wouldn't come near that car with a 10 foot pole!
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 1
alex23642846.50
      11-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
I wouldn't buy this car either but let's be logical here :

If u want an M3 to daily drive and you are on limited budget this car may be a good opportunity to negotiate a significant discount.

Second, there are many good cars that have had minor accidents that are still worth buying. Think about a small and documented accident to the rear bumper that was repaired at a reputable shop and the owner can provide pictures pre-repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

this is why you lease a car, cuz if you buy, and you get in an accident, carfax will kill the value. Great for buyers, not so great if your selling.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
M3NDOZA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

$10,000 less than whatever the dealer is selling it for
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #14
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

I agree with others. That accident seems serious. Now, it could just be that it was a light accident, but based on that description, it's scary enough to avoid it. Think of how many here are being put off by it.

Now if somehow you find it was a light accident where, say, only the bumper hood an radiator were involved, I would not worry about it, but I still would ask for a steep discount because that will be a VERY hard car to sell later on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrotty View Post

Accident reported
Involving front impact
It hit a tree
Vehicle ran off road
Front primarily damaged
Here’s reality.

The problem with Carfax is that it does not list how serious the damage was.

That could be anything from a minor bumper impact to major issue.

And quite frankly, that’s more info than you typically get from Carfax.

I had a driver rear end me recently at a very slow speed....certainly less than 10MPH

It put a minor scratch on the bumper that could have been solved for less than $400 if BMW Specs did not require a new Bumper if painting or repair near lane change warning sensors.

As the other driver was ticketed, it shows on CarFax as a rear end collision.

Yours could be just as minor.

However, after discussing it with the Used Car Manager at a BMW Dealership (who clued me into Carfax Issues) he says the buyers at Auto Auction punch in a VIN and just see a Carfax reported accident and don’t bid. They do not have the time to get into damage reports at the pace of an auction.

He estimated that my car would bring in $3000 less at auction because of the CarFax report.

And that’s the issue with CarFax Reports

BTW, I had a Viper that I had to sue Chrysler for non-payment of Warranty work. After 4 years of the court system and a Viper sitting undrivable, they were order by a Court to buy it back.

They sold it to a Chrysler Dealer and never disclosed it was a Buyback. Dealership called me to answer some questions about alarm system. Was upset he called because he then had to disclose.

Ran a CarFax on VIN 3 years later.

Reported Clean....no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
Here’s reality.

The problem with Carfax is that it does not list how serious the damage was.

That could be anything from a minor bumper impact to major issue.

And quite frankly, that’s more info than you typically get from Carfax.

I had a driver rear end me recently at a very slow speed....certainly less than 10MPH

It put a minor scratch on the bumper that could have been solved for less than $400 if BMW Specs did not require a new Bumper if painting or repair near lane change warning sensors.

As the other driver was ticketed, it shows on CarFax as a rear end collision.

Yours could be just as minor.

However, after discussing it with the Used Car Manager at a BMW Dealership (who clued me into Carfax Issues) he says the buyers at Auto Auction punch in a VIN and just see a Carfax reported accident and don’t bid. They do not have the time to get into damage reports at the pace of an auction.

He estimated that my car would bring in $3000 less at auction because of the CarFax report.

And that’s the issue with CarFax Reports

BTW, I had a Viper that I had to sue Chrysler for non-payment of Warranty work. After 4 years of the court system and a Viper sitting undrivable, they were order by a Court to buy it back.

They sold it to a Chrysler Dealer and never disclosed it was a Buyback. Dealership called me to answer some questions about alarm system. Was upset he called because he then had to disclose.

Ran a CarFax on VIN 3 years later.

Reported Clean....no issues.
Morale of the story, don't believe Carfax.
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

You have to assume worst case scenario with CarFax unless there is clear evidence otherwise and that typically only happens if it is a private party sale. Even then you have to discount because you will eventually need to resell.

Dealers play both sides. Crucify you on trade in for any CarFax blemish and then try to downplay any blemishes when selling. Assume worst case with dealers too.
      11-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

so many cars out there why bother
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I bought a BMW CPO that had CarFax disclosed accident before being CPO certified by the BMW dealer. They bought it cheap, I’m sure, at auction. It looked great and seemed fine mechanically, plus with the CPO (and less than 20k miles on it) I felt assured I could drive it to 100k miles without too much expense. The price they were asking was about 20% or so below comparable vehicles (same make, model, year, mileage).

Well I had some problems show up after a putting on some miles. CPO was critical to getting it all resolved - being still under the original warranty helped as well. The accident didn’t cause or have anything to do with the problems, but it did affect the value.

Before getting the issue resolved with the BMW dealer, I considered trading the car. One BMW dealer refused to make any offer for the car! The local other German car dealer offered me 30% below what I had paid just a few months earlier (and that was over 20% below comparable cars, recall). Point being, with that brand on the CarFax you had better be sure you are going to own it and drive it to get your money’s worth or be prepared to find few if any takers when you want to unload it.

Fortunately my issues were resolved to my satisfaction by the selling BMW dealer. I enjoy a great relationship with them, and have bought several cars from them, all of which helps.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #20
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I agree partially not to touch a car with carfax record but it all depends on the damage and how it was repaired, front end damage could be more dangerous but a rear end collision resulting in bumper damage is perfectly fine to buy and the car would loose around 3k value. I found this out with my car with the trade in value received from dealers and had a minor rear end accident. I was thinking of trading in the car with a new CP but later thought that.my car is in excellent condition and CP is not worth it basically being the same car.

In a yr or two these cars would appreciate given M3 production would stop and unless the car was in a big accident they are safe to buy
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #21
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

As others have said a tree is no joke. BUT..... that doesn't mean the car should be out.

Take a look at the car and if the price seems discounted appropriately then bring it to a mechanic and get a better idea as to what happened. Even if its on your own dime you can wind up with a great car (especially if you don't track) at a very discounted cost.

Also if you intend to hold on to the car for a few years and get an appreciable warranty you can easily come out ahead. These cars tank in depreciation and so the margin between say your car and another of similar miles could only be 5k tops when the car itself is worth 25-30k at 5 years. This is assuming you vetted the car and have a good warranty to address problems that can and will arise (keep in mind clean cars have their share of problems too). Then 5 years down the road you end up ahead of all of us. Of course if you are going to flip the car in a year all bets are off.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #22
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Its true. Do not always trust CarFax as it can be wrong, I know from personal experience.

My 3er was re-sprayed through insurance. I told my insurance multiple times it is not accident related and just purely road damage/severe rock chips hence why I was doing it. I told them and they told me it would be under comprehensive, thus not show up as damage.

Surprise, surprise about half a year later as I was in the process of selling the 3er. It showed up on CarFax as Damaged. I have paperwork to prove otherwise however it is always on CarFax. CarMax told me they know it isn't damaged because of the body structure wasn't fixed but it was reported so they cannot do anything about it. The hilarious thing about this is, it wasn't on CarFax report 3 months prior, so it showed up after. I don't know why.

Do not always trust CarFax. It doesn't give you enough information. It isn't good enough most of the time. However if the car is truly REALLY damaged aka it was written off by Insurance for certain, don't buy it.