R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #45
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
AWE is the opposite of rasp. It's deep AF. Compared to my friends Amytrix exhaust which is raspy as hell, the AWE makes my car sound like a V8. I haven't heard the AA exhaust in person but I can def say that the AWE has no rasp whatsoever.
I owned AWE man (both res and non-res) and it definitely has rasp. Dont know what to tell ya. I was pretty disappointed with mine overall and thought it was way overhyped on these boards. Not to mention the customer service from AWE is horrible.

Last edited by dmk08; 11-13-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #46
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRT_SG*E92 M3 View Post
Hello All,

Honestly this exhaust doesn't sound like a bad choice. The exhaust clip sounds like it is on par for the AWE system.

Pros about the AWE system would obviously by the intoxicating sound. This sound convinced multiple people to buy this exhaust. Not just the 5 people that I am talking about in my AWE exhaust journey thread.

Another pro about the the AWE system is that once broken in fully it definitely gives you that V8 feel and allows you to hear the crackling and popping. As heard on Sameets car.

The last Pro would have to be the ability to keep the open and close function of the exhaust. This is imperative for most of us because the added attention from Cops, our Neighbors, etc is not warranted.

I think what this will come down to is personal preference coupled with how this exhaust sounds after its fully broken in.

Thanks for posting the AA system I think it looks nice and also sounds nice as well.

I will add sound clips of the AWE exhaust with Fabspeed DP over the weekend. One of the kits arrived yesterday will be installing it over the weekend.
Thats only a pro if you want it louder. Remember AA always goes through mufflers so it's like the AWE with the valves closed volume wise.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #47
Glina
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTURE View Post
As far as the plate, its a ticket but I do have a sheriff I know personally that signs it off for me all the time

that is stupid to say on the Internet. Fixing tickets can cost your friend a job. On the other hand, I love the exhaust, especially the large tips. Car looks sick . congrats
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #48
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Still think we are deeper with less rasp. Hopefully we can get a better comparison videos with both systems.

No doubt it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #49
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

We've had each variant in our shop, EXCEPT AA w/stock downpipes.

Here are videos:

AWE w/downpipes

AWE w/o downpipes

Active Autowerke w/downpipes

You really can't go wrong with either system. Our HONEST feedback is Active does have a cleaner sound with minimal rasp. The AWE has a bit of rasp after about 4k rpms. It's a throaty rasp, not a high pitched sound like Akra on the S55.

A short list of pros for the AA:

- Clean sound
- No Drone
- Tips looks fantastic

Pros for AWE:

- No drone... Unless you pair the non resonated midpipe with dps
- deep and throaty sound
- OEM valve control use is retained

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #50
marcus321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Acura NSX

I have heard AWE and love the sound(it was my second choice) but it does definitely have rasp in the higher RPM bands. I could really care less about valves, most cars dont have them that I was cross shopping nor do I want my car to be quiet(why get an exhaust if you want to tame it to OEM) so that was not a factor for me which is why I went with AA.

IG: marcusnc1
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #51
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus321 View Post
I have heard AWE and love the sound(it was my second choice) but it does definitely have rasp in the higher RPM bands. I could really care less about valves, most cars dont have them that I was cross shopping nor do I want my car to be quiet(why get an exhaust if you want to tame it to OEM) so that was not a factor for me which is why I went with AA.
Is it on yet??
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #52
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I've been pretty vocal about how bad this car sounds no matter what exhaust you have. To me the AA sounds pretty much the same as AWE, Akra, MPE, with very slight character differences. My definition of rasp must be different than the rest of the world because I hear rasp and farting from all of the exhausts videos shown.

It's always great to have more options, but the weird third muffler and giant tips are a no go for me. I loved the look and design of my Akra, but the AWE tone and character with the 3" piping and traditional muffler/tip design make it still superior to me.

I think saying this exhaust eliminates the rasp and fart of the S55 is a bit much. It sounds nothing like an E92 M3.

Last edited by Money2536; 11-13-2015 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #53
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I've been pretty vocal about how bad this car sounds no matter what exhaust you have. To me the AA sounds pretty much the same as AWE, Akra, MPE, with very slight character differences. My definition of rasp must be different than the rest of the world because I hear rasp and farting from all of the exhausts videos shown.

It's always great to have more options, but the weird third muffler and giant tips are a no go for me. I loved the look and design of my Akra, but the AWE tone and character with the 3" piping and traditional muffler/tip design make it still superior to me.

I think saying this exhaust eliminates the rasp and fart of the S55 is a bit much. It sounds nothing like an E92 M3.
It will never sound like a high revving v8 and there will always be some level of rasp. However we are doing the best with what the engine has to offer.

Have you heard any of those exhausts in person to make that statement? The exhausts you mentioned sound nothing alike in person especially when you add downpipes to the mix. Not hating but the Akra downpipe combo has to be one of the worst ive heard and a few others don't fall far behind. Some exhausts are just not ment to be paired with downpipes.

But hey my sound preference may be different than yours and if your happy thats all that really matters in the end.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #54
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Im not a big fan of how this car sound stock but there is no way all the exhausts you mentioned sound the same.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #55
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It will never sound like a high revving v8 and there will always be some level of rasp. However we are doing the best with what the engine has to offer.

Have you heard any of those exhausts in person to make that statement? The exhausts you mentioned sound nothing alike in person especially when you add downpipes to the mix. Not hating but the Akra downpipe combo has to be one of the worst ive heard and a few others don't fall far behind. Some exhausts are just not ment to be paired with downpipes.

But hey my sound preference may be different than yours and if your happy thats all that really matters in the end.
I had the Akra for about 2,500 miles. It's okay, but I agree yours sounds better. What I was getting at is the character of the S55 is fixed. All of the aftermarket options are working within the limitations of what the motor/turbos sound like. So to my ear, they all sound similar with minor differences that could sway someone one way or the other.

I couldn't handle this car with downpipes on any exhaust. It sounds terrible.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #56
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I had the Akra for about 2,500 miles. It's okay, but I agree yours sounds better. What I was getting at is the character of the S55 is fixed. All of the aftermarket options are working within the limitations of what the motor/turbos sound like. So to my ear, they all sound similar with minor differences that could sway someone one way or the other.

I couldn't handle this car with downpipes on any exhaust. It sounds terrible.
Just open up that Gt3 when ever you want to hear the music

I dont think this sound's overly aggressive though in the cabin . Car is Full bolt on

Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #57
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just open up that Gt3 when ever you want to hear the music

I dont think this sound's overly aggressive though in the cabin . Car is Full bolt on
Not bad! Sounds much more organized than normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #58
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@TAG View Post
We have done many different exhaust setups here at TAG Motorsports. One of my favorite is the AWE Non-Resonated with stock down pipes. It makes the car sound like it should. I like the fact that the AWE uses the factory valves so you can have the car tame when you want and loud when desired.

Here is a video of the AWE Non-Resonated. It gets much deeper sounding once the exhaust is broken in
+1 Here are some other vids of varying angles. I had a E92 Akra V8, and got to say, this comes close to the sound enjoyment of that set-up for me.

Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #59
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent View Post
Is it on yet??
I just finished it today and I must say that I am extremely impressed with this exhaust. I will be doing a full review soon. I think this exhaust by far does the best job at cleaning up the horrible sounds the s55 makes. AA really hit it out of the ball park with this exhaust. I've heard awe non res, magnaflow, and mpe and this one is easily my favorite.

Install was really smooth, did it all on my back with just a set of ramps on the rear tires in about 2.5 hours. I've heard people say the tips stick out to far?? Maybe it's my install job but they sit in slightly under the rkp diffuser at the furthest length I could get them which was exactly the look I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #60
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
I just finished it today and I must say that I am extremely impressed with this exhaust. I will be doing a full review soon. I think this exhaust by far does the best job at cleaning up the horrible sounds the s55 makes. AA really hit it out of the ball park with this exhaust. I've heard awe non res, magnaflow, and mpe and this one is easily my favorite.

Install was really smooth, did it all on my back with just a set of ramps on the rear tires in about 2.5 hours. I've heard people say the tips stick out to far?? Maybe it's my install job but they sit in slightly under the rkp diffuser at the furthest length I could get them which was exactly the look I wanted.
Awesome man! Post some good videos up and maybe some good drive bys.

Side note, what did to think of the Magnaflow exhaust? I've yet to hear one in person.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #61
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Awesome man! Post some good videos up and maybe some good drive bys.

Side note, what did to think of the Magnaflow exhaust? I've yet to hear one in person.

I liked the Magnaflow for the price, it is decent and sounds better then some of the 4k+ exhausts out there.

Ya I will upload good ones in my review. Cameras don't seem to do a great job at capturing a lot of the s55 exhaust notes that you hear in person which is kind of the opposite of what I experienced in my gtr where it sounded exactly like the videos

This is a snapchat so take it for what it is...

Last edited by marcus321; 11-14-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #62
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Digging the sound but those tips at too big and look out of place. Yes, there is thing as too big. Not meant to put down the exhaust but just my take on the tips.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #63
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Digging the sound but those tips at too big and look out of place. Yes, there is thing as too big. Not meant to put down the exhaust but just my take on the tips.
Those are the 90mm tips, looks like. All of the aftermarket exhaust out there feature at least 90mm tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #64
marcus321
Captain
Rep

Yup, they are 90mm. I think it's a good size. 102 is to big on this car for me. My last car was 120 lol so 90 is pretty conservative. You won't find many, if any, tips under 90 for aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #65
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Yup, they are 90mm. I think it's a good size. 102 is to big on this car for me. My last car was 120 lol so 90 is pretty conservative. You won't find many, if any, tips under 90 for aftermarket
It's probably the picture angle then. Makes them look a lot bigger.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #66
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
It's probably the picture angle then. Makes them look a lot bigger.
If youre talking about OP his car has 102mm tips he said. Mine has the 90s. Need to adjust my left one a tad tho.

Appreciate 1