Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
nicob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 m3 sakhir orange

2 cents on aftermarket exhausts

First of all, i was doing a lot of research about aftermarket exhaust setups for my m3 f80 non-zcp. I leaned towards Mpe because it sounded great on that bmw commercial at the track. Ive heard all the setups in youtube and extra clips on the mpe. What held me back was the price tag. But after hearing it all again, my stock exhaust sounds good but not as loud. It's not too deep. All the aftermarket exhausts either makes the car sounds like a lawnmower or a diesel truck. Its a 6cycl and i wouldnt want it to be perceived as a truck. The only exhaust i find different was the akrapovic.

There was a head 2 head exhaust battle of the e90 vs f82 armytrix and my goodness, it opened up my ears and eyes. That e90 is the sound ive been looking for. A sound like a porsche or even close to ferraris. Its so beautiful. Not too deep and a screamer. F82 with the armytrix which is one of the loudest, was made too look like a baby getting lectured by an adult. Not a toddler, kid or a teen. A fking baby jeebus. My question is, why cant we have exhaust systems that sounds like that? V6 f1 sounds similar to a v8, v10, v12 f1's. One of the youtube clips i saw was an m5 that sounds like an f1 speeding through a tunnel. Id pay holy 10k$ for such an exhaust. Now i felt like i might get an audi r8 for the weekend just for an exhaust and just dd my f80 because its so comfortable and its fast. My budget is under 100k so i am looking for the 2014 r8 model as the exterior looks better with the s-tronic transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 03:04 AM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicob View Post
First of all, i was doing a lot of research about aftermarket exhaust setups for my m3 f80 non-zcp. I leaned towards Mpe because it sounded great on that bmw commercial at the track. Ive heard all the setups in youtube and extra clips on the mpe. What held me back was the price tag. But after hearing it all again, my stock exhaust sounds good but not as loud. It's not too deep. All the aftermarket exhausts either makes the car sounds like a lawnmower or a diesel truck. Its a 6cycl and i wouldnt want it to be perceived as a truck. The only exhaust i find different was the akrapovic. It sounds good but when your about to stop, it sounds like a bitch got choked the fked out from screaming. Its really annoying.
There was a head 2 head exhaust battle of the e90 vs f82 armytrix and my goodness, it opened up my ears and eyes. That e90 is the sound ive been looking for. A sound like a porsche or even close to ferraris. Its so beautiful. Not too deep and a screamer. F82 with the armytrix which is one of the loudest, was made too look like a baby getting lectured by an adult. Not a toddler, kid or a teen. A fking baby jeebus. My question is, why cant we have exhaust systems that sounds like that? V6 f1 sounds similar to a v8, v10, v12 f1's. One of the youtube clips i saw was an m5 that sounds like an f1 speeding through a tunnel. Id pay holy 10k$ for such an exhaust. Now i felt like i might get an audi r8 for the weekend just for an exhaust and just dd my f80 because its so comfortable and its fast. My budget is under 100k so i am looking for the 2014 r8 model as the exterior looks better with the s-tronic transmission.
Appreciate 5
      03-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
F80R
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicob View Post
First of all, i was doing a lot of research about aftermarket exhaust setups for my m3 f80 non-zcp. I leaned towards Mpe because it sounded great on that bmw commercial at the track. Ive heard all the setups in youtube and extra clips on the mpe. What held me back was the price tag. But after hearing it all again, my stock exhaust sounds good but not as loud. It's not too deep. All the aftermarket exhausts either makes the car sounds like a lawnmower or a diesel truck. Its a 6cycl and i wouldnt want it to be perceived as a truck. The only exhaust i find different was the akrapovic. It sounds good but when your about to stop, it sounds like a bitch got choked the fked out from screaming. Its really annoying.
^^lololol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
Daxos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I don't think it matters what you do, but a V6 or I6 will never, ever sound like a V8, 10 or 12.

You are switching cars based purely on exhaust sound? Sounds like something you may have wanted to decide before you bought the M.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

If ur looking for exhaust sound, pick up a used Jaguar F Type R. Sounds brutal and the crackles/pops are like gunshots!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

If all you care about is sound go get a Mustang GT.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

There is a very simple answer to your question.

Turbo.

The reason the F8x does not sound nearly as good as the E9x M's or any of the other cars you listed is solely due to the fact that our new M cars are turboed and as such the exhaust note gets affected by the gasses running through the turbine as opposed to directly out the car.

Our cars wil never sound as good as a N/A car. Period.
Appreciate 5
      03-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post

Turbo.

The reason the F8x does not sound nearly as good as the E9x M's or any of the other cars you listed is solely due to the fact that our new M cars are turboed and as such the exhaust note gets affected by the gasses running through the turbine as opposed to directly out the car.

You bring up a good point. Has it ever been discussed how turbo upgrades (which I'm currently doing) affect the sound?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:

Turbo.

Great point, but I would be happy if ours sounded like a 911 turbo :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Or a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Paul View Post
You bring up a good point. Has it ever been discussed how turbo upgrades (which I'm currently doing) affect the sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Or a GTR.
All good points. And again, each has a different engine alignment (Boxer, V etc) which affect the sound.

Turbo upgrades, and different manifold set ups all will change the sound slightly. I cant say I have enough experience with an inline to determine which produces a better sound, with better being subjective anyway.

I know some guys with some ridiculous setups on their GTR's, however I cant say I personally fancy the sound that much. Its mostly just noise.

I will however share the view on the 911 Turbo. Those boxer engines have a unique enough sound, and the turbos tend to compliment it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
All good points. And again, each has a different engine alignment (Boxer, V etc) which affect the sound.

Turbo upgrades, and different manifold set ups all will change the sound slightly. I cant say I have enough experience with an inline to determine which produces a better sound, with better being subjective anyway.

I know some guys with some ridiculous setups on their GTR's, however I cant say I personally fancy the sound that much. Its mostly just noise.

I will however share the view on the 911 Turbo. Those boxer engines have a unique enough sound, and the turbos tend to compliment it IMO.
Your straight 6 2jzgte sounds great too. RB26 straight 6, etc.. this might be the first straight 6 turbo I've heard that sounds like a tractor. Lol Although my Dinan / AA mid pipe setup has fixed 80% of my hate for that sound. Can't complain now.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Your straight 6 2jzgte sounds great too. RB26 straight 6, etc.. this might be the first straight 6 turbo I've heard that sounds like a tractor. Lol Although my Dinan / AA mid pipe setup has fixed 80% of my hate for that sound. Can't complain now.
Very true. All comes down to final set up. Less regulation with emissions back in the day I'd guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Single-turbo vs. twin-turbo has a huge role to play in sound. The single turbo L6's all sound great, as would the S55 if it were to use a single turbo setup.

A single midpipe goes a long way to fixing the exhaust pulse issue and acoustics of a twin-turbo setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #15
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Granted I only have 400 miles on the car but I'm hesitant to put it in my AA mid pipe and axleback because I actually like the way the car sounds. I guess adding those can't make it worse
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
nicob
Private
Rep

You guys have great points on turbos but how come our turboed Ms still sounds like shit compared to jdm turbos? I started listening to aftermarket intakes, im liking the eventuri ones. I wonder if that affects the exhaust sounds also.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #17
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

IMO GTRs sound just as underwhelming as our cars. 911 turbos are OK but next to a NA GT3 or GT3 RS, there is as big of a gap as between E9x and F8x Ms' exhaust note.

What IS disappointing is the fact that S55 exhaust does not sound as good as N54 or N55 turbo inline 6s. That should definitely not happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I honestly dont mind the exhaust that much. I pulled the valve control so the flaps are open all the time and I have to say its not as bad as everyone makes it out to me IMO.

I would prefer a bit more of a refined sound, especially in the higher RPMS, however I cant justify an $8K MPE spend.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #19
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I honestly dont mind the exhaust that much. I pulled the valve control so the flaps are open all the time and I have to say its not as bad as everyone makes it out to me IMO.

I would prefer a bit more of a refined sound, especially in the higher RPMS, however I cant justify an $8K MPE spend.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

I unplugged the Exhaust Flaps while open and it really isnt that loud at all. I really didnt notice much of a difference with the exception of start up. (Maybe because im always Sport+)?

Anyway, cant wait for AA Midpipe & Axleback, hopefully it sounds good but not loud if ya know what I mean
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #21
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Single-turbo vs. twin-turbo has a huge role to play in sound. The single turbo L6's all sound great, as would the S55 if it were to use a single turbo setup.

A single midpipe goes a long way to fixing the exhaust pulse issue and acoustics of a twin-turbo setup.
Yes. AA mid + ZCP exhaust sounds amazing. I'm very happy with this set up, if car came like this I wouldn't have touched it.

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:26 AM   #22
nicob
Private
Rep

Quote:

I totally agree but i do have mpe deal at 4k brand new and still find it not worth that much. I drive on sport plus everytime i get in the car. Mpe is deep like remus but has a little better chyme to it and cf coke can tips.
Appreciate 0