Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

08-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Black M4 Convertible

Garage List
2015 M4 Convertible Battery Access?

Anyone have a pointer or can post a detailed how-to on accessing battery in trunk of 2015 M4 Convertible?

I tried this weekend as part of do-it-myself Dinan Stage 2 install and was shocked that the owners manual doesn't tell you how, nor were there any easily google-able searches for it, and lastly even the dealership kinda said it was a complicated set of panel removals in a specific order...

I figured this information would be helpful for future sake.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
tonydt1g3r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83

Yea it is kind of a bitch. Most of the panels are pretty obvious on how to take out. But here is a tip. For the plastic piece that covers the mechanical gears and stuff that line both sides of the center area of the trunk use the button on the trunk lid that raises everything up then take it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
mrrm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Does anyone know the correct procedure

to get full access to the convertible's battery ?

I needed to disconnect the battery this past weekend (for some mods) and could not figure out how to remove the large stiff carpeted section above the battery even though I removed a dozen press-pins and tugged in all directions. The carpeted section does not bend, and it seemed too large to extract from the small space allotted.

Any known DIY instructions ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #4
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Black M4 Convertible

Garage List
I ended up going to dealership for help. They told me there are some BMW-specific tools required to properly take everything out in the trunk to access the battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Lloyd_Christmas
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I have had to access mine a few times. It is under the plastic/carpet cover in the passenger-side rear corner of the trunk.

The easiest way to gain access to it is to open the top to about halfway. This way you can access all of the pull tabs that need be removed and then it is just a matter of pulling the piece of plastic/carpet away from the side of the trunk.

While Tony's reccommendation above does help somewhat, you still have to deal with a lot of the top's mechanics being in the way if you only use the trunk access feature that raises the glass out of the way.
Appreciate 0