BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
2015 software update options

This might not be the right place for this but, here goes... I'm considering purchasing my 2015 M3 off lease. The 15 software that has no overrun on decel, some issues with steering feel and diff operation.

I've tried to get my dealership to update the software which they have done at least once early on but, I'm not sure what version I'm on. Ideally I'd like to get what would be equivalent to the ZCP or CS.

I've played around with some basic coding (turn off idrive disclaimer, amber lights, etc...) but, if there is a DIY software update option I'm thinking it will likely be beyond my comfort level.

I know there are options like bootmod now that can address the engine side of the equation. I don't need to worry about the trans as my car is a manual. Can something like bootmod or similar also address the steering and diff software as well or is there a reasonably user friendly DIY solution for this?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
My sticky software update DIY may not be user friendly, but so is updating the car’s software, so stay away and have it done for a modest fee.

Some of what you seek may be also coding, so a one time shop like Alex@Alpine may provide what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
My sticky software update DIY may not be user friendly, but so is updating the car’s software, so stay away and have it done for a modest fee.

Some of what you seek may be also coding, so a one time shop like Alex@Alpine may provide what you are looking for.
I am also on the same level as the OP but everyone was beyond their comfort level when doing it for the first time, so I will try to gather as much info as I can so I can flash my steering,esp and diff with gts software.

As I have gathered so far I need to:

-change typenschlusel to 4S91 - I do that just buy clicking edit and changing it in FA edit?

And by clicking complete flash will that flash the enitre car or just the ecu I need?

Sorry for this last stupit question but there are some things I know very well and some plainest things I am simply unsure and would rather if someone would tell/confirm please.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

From my understanding. If you want to flash per module, use esys, if you want to flash the whole car use ista (rheingold) although esys can do whole car too
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:

That's pretty much what I was asking, if I wanted not just a tune but, to basically bring my car up to current ZCP software for engine, steering, diff and any other modules that would need updates to be compatible, are most tuners able to do that now? I've only seen them advertising engine and trans software mostly.

Also, if I'm going that far are there any hardware differences that would interfere with getting to the current idrive? I don't believe the 15s have over the air update capability.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
OP, if you want to update your F8x 2015 software, that is possible and is supported as the newer Istep is released by BMW for all year models. ISTA/Esys applies the relevant software update based on your car’s hardware.

Regarding your ZCP, CS,... questions, reach out to the sponsor above (AA) and describe what you’d like to do and he’ll take care of all of your needs, coding, software update and tuning.

PS: based on your questions, I do not recommend to attempt any DIY to do any of the above, sometime paying for a service is worth all the headaches you may encounter.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
OP, if you want to update your F8x 2015 software, that is possible and is supported as the newer Istep is released by BMW for all year models. ISTA/Esys applies the relevant software update based on your car’s hardware.

Regarding your ZCP, CS,... questions, reach out to the sponsor above (AA) and describe what you’d like to do and he’ll take care of all of your needs, coding, software update and tuning.

PS: based on your questions, I do not recommend to attempt any DIY to do any of the above, sometime paying for a service is worth all the headaches you may encounter.
I’ll hit him up. Paying someone has pretty much been my intent unless there was a user friendly solution that had come along in the last few years. It obviously sounds like there isn’t.

I’m pretty confident that I could figure out as I have experience with various motorsports ECUS and PDMs (motec, mclaren, Bosch, OBR) but, those are made to be somewhat user friendly and I don’t really want to invest the time in learning the specifics of this if I don’t have to.

That said if I’m going to pay someone I want to be sure of what I’m getting and preferably get it all from one provider to minimize chances of problems. Which is why I figured I’d ask here who might be best to do that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #8
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Alex would be the best person to ask. I don’t think he’ll update your whole car to the latest istep as that would take too much time and would require a battery charger. I think he’ll only update the modules that need updating for the gts/cs changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
So what is the latest ISTA/P version and is that software compatible with all model years of F8X chassis?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
kelje19
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 YMB 2015

Garage List
Tried to ask for a software update for my 2015 F80 but the dealership is charging me $260.00 for it. When I asked about what are included on the updates they would'nt say but it's more of the cosmetics and bug fixes as per the service department.

Does anyone know what is really included on the 2018 update and is it really worth $260...? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #11
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Just contact alex@alpine, he will take care of you car for a lot cheaper than 260$ and you will know exactly what updates he's gonna do on your car,

I feel that dealer don't know anything and in the end you won't get what you want and won't know really what was updated on your car

My 2015 base m3, built date early 2014 was fully coded to gts, active sound to zcp, edc to clubsport and the car feel awesome, absolutely worth it

Alex is doing remote coding, very safe and easy, you just need a cable
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
kelje19
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 YMB 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
Just contact alex@alpine, he will take care of you car for a lot cheaper than 260$ and you will know exactly what updates he's gonna do on your car,

I feel that dealer don't know anything and in the end you won't get what you want and won't know really what was updated on your car

My 2015 base m3, built date early 2014 was fully coded to gts, active sound to zcp, edc to clubsport and the car feel awesome, absolutely worth it

Alex is doing remote coding, very safe and easy, you just need a cable
I think this is what I need but will it void my warranty?

Sorry for this questions I am new to this Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #13
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

No no warranty void with updates or coding
Appreciate 0