proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: RC F or M4
RC F 9 9.47%
M4 70 73.68%
Too early to tell 16 16.84%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

01-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #45
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270 View Post
Where the hell have i been under a rock? This thing is 100K!!?
Seriously. There has to be something big missing we don't know about for it to hit 6 figures. I'd think it would be priced less than the M3 to be competitive unless it has some insane tech that makes it run in GTR territory.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #46
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

the only car right now that i would consider over the M4 is an RS5.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #47
The Fatal Gamer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Greatest M

Sorry, who would think that this will be a fair poll in the M4 forum?

The ISF does look like the predator though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #48
Ash Williams
Groovy
Rep
Drives: '13 BRZ

Obviously Lexus isn't known for making performance cars, and that hasn't really ever been their target market until now. However, Lexus cars are essentially just fancy Toyotas, and there once was a time when Toyota made great sports cars. The lead designer on this car I read used to be on the Supra team, which is a good sign. The 86/BRZ is a great little car, and has gotten amazing reviews across the board (as a BRZ owner perhaps biased about the first statement there, but the second is objective). Personally I hope that this car is a big hit and leads a comeback for serious Japanese sports cars.

The styling is pretty controversial--I hate the grill as well, but love the rest of the car. That interior is just gorgeous. Love that it's a naturally aspirated V8, very powerful, lots of torque.

Obviously the arguments have already started about its performance vs. other cars, particularly the new M4--no one has tested either so it's all just speculation at this point. I think if it's as heavy as everyone predicts it will be it will be more comparable to an RS5 than an M4. It's easy to dismiss the Lexus since they don't have the sports car "heritage" that the Germans have, but anyone who's been paying attention to auto publications knows that BMW has been losing favor to competitors, including Lexus (the new IS beat the 335i in a recent Car and Driver comparison test), and, dare I say it, Cadillac (Motor Trend but the ATS ahead of the 335i and C350, CTS came in 2nd ahead of 535i and E350, behind the A6).

In any case it would be silly to choose any poll option besides "Too early to tell," because, well, it is. Obviously you'd expect a BMW forum to favor the M4, but I'm pretty surprised at the utter dismissal of the RC F by some. Sure I understand the opinion that it looks ugly, but aren't you more interested in how it feels to drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #49
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

You guys are so biased LOL!

I am a past IS-F owner and can honestly say the IS-F is a more liveable car for DD then the e90 M3 DCT. Love Lexus products and BMW as well. Both have good and negatives.

Lexus paint is very thin and metal is also thin, certainly does not have the feel of a BMW or Mercedes. Qualiy is un-surpassed though something BMW can learn from, also their customer service is top top notch.

Personally I like the styling of the BMW more so I ordered an new M3 sedan but the RC-F has potential. The dealbreaker for me is the auto tranny only option. Too bad Lexus does not get this part that BMW still understands.
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #50
Ash Williams
Groovy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post

I am a past IS-F owner and can honestly say the IS-F is a more liveable car for DD then the e90 M3 DCT.
DD livability has never been an M3 objective though, as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #51
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Williams View Post
Obviously Lexus isn't known for making performance cars, and that hasn't really ever been their target market until now. However, Lexus cars are essentially just fancy Toyotas, and there once was a time when Toyota made great sports cars. The lead designer on this car I read used to be on the Supra team, which is a good sign. The 86/BRZ is a great little car, and has gotten amazing reviews across the board (as a BRZ owner perhaps biased about the first statement there, but the second is objective). Personally I hope that this car is a big hit and leads a comeback for serious Japanese sports cars.

The styling is pretty controversial--I hate the grill as well, but love the rest of the car. That interior is just gorgeous. Love that it's a naturally aspirated V8, very powerful, lots of torque.

Obviously the arguments have already started about its performance vs. other cars, particularly the new M4--no one has tested either so it's all just speculation at this point. I think if it's as heavy as everyone predicts it will be it will be more comparable to an RS5 than an M4. It's easy to dismiss the Lexus since they don't have the sports car "heritage" that the Germans have, but anyone who's been paying attention to auto publications knows that BMW has been losing favor to competitors, including Lexus (the new IS beat the 335i in a recent Car and Driver comparison test), and, dare I say it, Cadillac (Motor Trend but the ATS ahead of the 335i and C350, CTS came in 2nd ahead of 535i and E350, behind the A6).

In any case it would be silly to choose any poll option besides "Too early to tell," because, well, it is. Obviously you'd expect a BMW forum to favor the M4, but I'm pretty surprised at the utter dismissal of the RC F by some. Sure I understand the opinion that it looks ugly, but aren't you more interested in how it feels to drive?
Lexus should have never said it was an M4 killer... But i'm looking forward to the competition and comparison videos, If the RC-F is $5,000 less than a similarly equipped M4 things should be pretty interesting.

I personally will never be able to get over the console in the Lexus and the fact that only an auto is offered not even DCT but I think it will appeal to those who want a really aggressive and futuristic looking car that will scare bystanders at night
      01-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #52
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Exclamation Excuse me

Quote:
It is its strength!
A car that is able to do all; track, comfort, luxury, without breaking a sweat.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #53
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fatal Gamer View Post
Sorry, who would think that this will be a fair poll in the M4 forum?

The ISF does look like the predator though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post

I am a past IS-F owner and can honestly say the IS-F is a more liveable car for DD then the e90 M3 DCT. Love Lexus products and BMW as well. Both have good and negatives.

Lexus paint is very thin and metal is also thin, certainly does not have the feel of a BMW or Mercedes. Qualiy is un-surpassed though something BMW can learn from, also their customer service is top top notch.

Personally I like the styling of the BMW more so I ordered an new M3 sedan but the RC-F has potential. The dealbreaker for me is the auto tranny only option. Too bad Lexus does not get this part that BMW still understands.

I checked the Club Lexus forum quite a few people prefer the M4 although they have their share of bias opinions as well.

Carbuzz, which is more of a neutral site heavily favored the M4.

M4 wins the paper battle for now but we shall see once test drives begin, after all the 911 turbo was tied in the paper battle against the GTR in 2007 but the GTR lapped the ring in a faster time. Competition is always good it will help keep prices down but more importantly it will bring the best out of not only BMW and Toyota but also the other car manufacturers with upcoming vehicles in that segment

Then hopefully we can get LED taillights on BMWs pre-LCI lol
      01-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #54
Ash Williams
Groovy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
It is its strength!
A car that is able to do all; track, comfort, luxury, without breaking a sweat.
Well comfort and luxury are almost always going to come at the expense of performance, so the balance has to be carefully considered. Personally I'd love a sort of M3 equivalent to the 911 GT3 that is purely track focused.

And yes I know there are some limited edition M3s but those are impossible to get your hands on.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #55
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Toyota finally makes a supra replacement. its about time.
      01-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #56
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Quote:
Maybe I was not being clear, I NEVER said the M3 is not a liveable car, I love the car and it's got road feel unlike the IS-F.

My only grip is the DCT tranny sucks when driven in slow traffic. It hiccups and just not a smart tranny with rough shift points.

The IS-F 8-speed auto has no such problems for DD although it may not be the best tranny for the track.

Recently I drove the 2014 Pana DCT and that thing is P E R F E C T!
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #57
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I had a 1992 Lexus SC300 as my NYC daily driver for a number of years. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. It felt like it had been carved out of a solid block of steel. I replaced it with a 2007 BMW 335i which is a good car but lacks the refinement of the Lexus and IMO does not have the level of build quality that the SC300 had. I haven't driven any of the newer Lexus models but if the RC-F is the successor to the SC300/400 it will be a very good car.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #58
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Looking at the engine, weight and transmission it looks like Toyota is after AMG customers and not M3 fans. Just imagine if the F80 was 4000 lbs with a slush box only and a 7300 rpm redline. What M3 fan would buy it? None.

If Toyota built a truly competitive drivers car with the looks to back it up I'd be the first to jump ship. I'm no fan of where BMW is going but with this kind of competition there really are no alternatives.

Last edited by solstice; 01-11-2014 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #59
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

RC F Stance Vs M4 Stance

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2152725/

I'm not a huge fan of this car, and would much prefer the new M3/4 but why does BMW refuse to stance their cars nicely?

Look at the gap between wheel and fender and offset of the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #60
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

#1 - offers them opportunities to sell more expensive wheel/tire packages
#2 - "stancing" can be detrimental to performance, as it's important to have adequate suspension travel
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #61
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Looking at the engine, weight and transmission it looks like Toyota is after AMG customers and not M3 fans. Just imagine if the F80 was 4000 lbs with a slush box only and a 7300 rpm redline. What M3 fan would buy it? None.

If Toyota built a truly competitive drivers car with the looks to back it up I'd be the first to jump ship. I'm no fan of where BMW is going but with this kind of competition there really are no alternatives.
This.
Appreciate 0