EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

50k miles and end of warranty - things to look at and do

Hi all,

I'm a few months out from 50k miles and the end of all factory warranty and maintenance. I've decided not to purchase any extended plans - I do my own oil changes, my brakes are good for another 50k miles at least, and I haven't ever had a single problem with the car.

That being said, I want to take the car in for a few items and have the dealership go over the car with a super fine tooth comb before I'm out of factory warranty. Here are the items on my list to look for/do at 50k miles and wondering if anyone has additional, reasonable recommendations:

1. I'm going to change the rear diff and manual trans fluids
2. I'm going to look myself and have the dealership look over the struts, engine, trans, rear diff, and axles for leaks.
3. I'm going to check the radiator hoses and intercooler hoses AND caps for signs of leakage
4. I'm going to visually check suspension bushings for cracking

Given a lack of issues or symptoms, not sure what else to visually inspect - the car is 4 years old and drives perfect.

Any recommendations for 50k mile plans given what I've outlined here - let me know!
Joe
      05-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Hi all,

I'm a few months out from 50k miles and the end of all factory warranty and maintenance. I've decided not to purchase any extended plans - I do my own oil changes, my brakes are good for another 50k miles at least, and I haven't ever had a single problem with the car.

That being said, I want to take the car in for a few items and have the dealership go over the car with a super fine tooth comb before I'm out of factory warranty. Here are the items on my list to look for/do at 50k miles and wondering if anyone has additional, reasonable recommendations:

2. I'm going to look myself and have the dealership look over the struts, engine, trans, rear diff, and axles for leaks.
3. I'm going to check the radiator hoses and intercooler hoses AND caps for signs of leakage

Given a lack of issues or symptoms, not sure what else to visually inspect - the car is 4 years old and drives perfect.

Any recommendations for 50k mile plans given what I've outlined here - let me know!
Joe
Bring donuts!!
      05-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Hi all,

Joe

Did you get your plugs changed yet? I assume so since it's after the 3rd oil change (not including the 1200 mile run in). But you did say you did your own oil changes so not sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Did you get your plugs changed yet? I assume so since it's after the 3rd oil change (not including the 1200 mile run in). But you did say you did your own oil changes so not sure.

Are plugs time or mileage based?
      05-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Are plugs time or mileage based?
Pretty sure they are just based on the number of oil changes - my Service Advisor told me after the 3rd CBS oil change as have other SAs on the forum.

The mileage may vary, some people got them with low miles some have gotten them with higher ones. If you were to follow the 10k mile oil change / once per year, you would get them around the 30k mile mark.

1200 miles run in
10k miles first oil change
20k miles second oil change
30k miles third oil change - spark plugs changed here.

My scenario was a little different...
1200 miles run in
3k mile first oil change 2016
6k mile second oil change 2017
9k miles? third one will be due 2018 - spark plugs should be changed on this interval

I don't drive my car much so was pretty amazed to hear that I'm due for my plugs on the next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Pretty sure they are just based on the number of oil changes - my Service Advisor told me after the 3rd CBS oil change as have other SAs on the forum.

The mileage may vary, some people got them with low miles some have gotten them with higher ones. If you were to follow the 10k mile oil change / once per year, you would get them around the 30k mile mark.

1200 miles run in
10k miles first oil change
20k miles second oil change
30k miles third oil change - spark plugs changed here.

My scenario was a little different...
1200 miles run in
3k mile first oil change 2016
6k mile second oil change 2017
9k miles? third one will be due 2018 - spark plugs should be changed on this interval

I don't drive my car much so was pretty amazed to hear that I'm due for my plugs on the next oil change.
Interesting, and thank you. I’m going in this year for my last free service before my 4 year anniversary is up, just over 20k on the odometer, so hopefully they will get my plugs changed. They are expensive and being it will be my 4th oil service I hope they are included.
      05-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

My plugs get changed every 25k miles according to CBS - am past 75k miles.

Since you change your own oil - changing plugs yourself isn't much harder. You need to remove a few more parts but that isn't hard. There is a good write up on it.

Get the BMW specific socket (thin walled).
Get a torque wrench that works in the range required (20 Nm or so iirc).
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

I did have my plugs done once by BMW.

Just to clarify: BMW has done all it's free maintenance to date. I've also done some in between oil changes because I believe in it and it's simple and relatively inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:23 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Maintenance expiration check list

My 4 year anniversary comes up in 6 weeks. Less than 31k miles - I was averaging 9k a year until I retired a year ago and quit commuting. My plugs were done at 26k. Assuming brakes are still good, and no other known issues, but will have everything checked out by the dealer after my own look.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Remind me, Is the Factory warranty up at 4 years or 5 years? I’m getting close to 4 years, although no where near the miles.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Factory warranty period

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Remind me, Is the Factory warranty up at 4 years or 5 years? I’m getting close to 4 years, although no where near the miles.
Four (4).

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

i would check your leather bolsters for wear and steering wheel for any wear there also.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
e90alpineNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
i would check your leather bolsters for wear and steering wheel for any wear there also.
Warranty wouldn't cover this ...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90alpineNYC View Post
Warranty wouldn't cover this ...
covered it for my friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #15
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Leather under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
covered it for my friend.
That's pretty unusual. Obviously, leather is a wear material, unless there truly was a material/manufacturing defect.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
That's pretty unusual. Obviously, leather is a wear material, unless there truly was a material/manufacturing defect.
the color was coming off, it should be covered, it wasn't normal wear.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

This spark plug discussion is very interesting... I'm at 25,000 miles and my replacement rear differential should be completed today at some point. I have DP's and Stage 2 BM3 ordered... should I hold off on requesting them to change out my plugs until I purchase the upgraded versions suggested by others to be gaped at .18 - will they even use plugs that I provide to them with my requested gap, or do they only follow OEM parts lists?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
This spark plug discussion is very interesting... I'm at 25,000 miles and my replacement rear differential should be completed today at some point. I have DP's and Stage 2 BM3 ordered... should I hold off on requesting them to change out my plugs until I purchase the upgraded versions suggested by others to be gaped at .18 - will they even use plugs that I provide to them with my requested gap, or do they only follow OEM parts lists?
I highly doubt the dealership would replace your plugs with non-oem at your request, or at least not do so under the maintenance plan and charge you for it. Not to mention clearly telling the dealer you require different plugs because you are running a stage 2 tune and downpipes probably isnt the best idea...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I highly doubt the dealership would replace your plugs with non-oem at your request, or at least not do so under the maintenance plan and charge you for it. Not to mention clearly telling the dealer you require different plugs because you are running a stage 2 tune and downpipes probably isnt the best idea...
I'm fine with being transparent/upfront with my service center, but in this case I will not be disclosing why I want different plugs unless they inquire, and I see no reason why they wouldn't accept "free" plugs of my choosing to install when I'm at the point where I'm due for the maintenance. Otherwise I have to take the car to another shop to pay to replace brand new plugs.

I'll find out in the next day or two if in fact they will make the change per my request, since I need to plan out my 1200 mile service on my replaced rear differential, and may as well get the plugs swapped at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #20
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
I'm fine with being transparent/upfront with my service center, but in this case I will not be disclosing why I want different plugs unless they inquire, and I see no reason why they wouldn't accept "free" plugs of my choosing to install when I'm at the point where I'm due for the maintenance. Otherwise I have to take the car to another shop to pay to replace brand new plugs.

I'll find out in the next day or two if in fact they will make the change per my request, since I need to plan out my 1200 mile service on my replaced rear differential, and may as well get the plugs swapped at the same time.
If I was any service center anywhere and you requested different plugs, I'd reject it. If you forced the issue, I might install them and tell you I'm rejecting any engine related warranty work - period.

I've seen more mis-fire/rough running issues related to non-OEM plugs than I think any other "modification" I've ever seen.
      06-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
If I was any service center anywhere and you requested different plugs, I'd reject it. If you forced the issue, I might install them and tell you I'm rejecting any engine related warranty work - period.

I've seen more mis-fire/rough running issues related to non-OEM plugs than I think any other "modification" I've ever seen.
I had my plugs changed out to the NGK ones for my tune and when it was time to get them replaced at the dealer the Service Advisor just gave me the stock plugs from the dealer and let me keep them. So maybe you can do the same?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #22
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Hi all,

Joe
How much was it going to be?
Appreciate 0