Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

08-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Evanallan1
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3 3.0xDrive, 2015 VW GTI

Would you buy a salvaged title M4 for around $40K

There is a 2015 Alpine White M4 with just under 15K miles on it with a 6pd MT. the car got in a bad front end accident and had to have the front bumper, left front quarter panel and suspension replaced. I have been dying to get an M4 and this is under the budget so i could start modifying immediately. What do you all think about this deal?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
styler69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

id probably be okay with it if i knew who did the work and what kind of effort they made to make sure it was sound
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
schrdngrsct
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I wouldn't if the accident reached the suspension.

I hate when people say I'm a blah-blah-blah... trust me but here it goes. I'm a mechanical engineer who designs aircraft parts so I know a thing or two about build tolerances and repair processes. If this were a subaru/honda you'd likely be alright even if a few things within the engine bay and along the drive train weren't straightened back out, since compared to BMW they have less number of "different" parts fitted together per some cubic volume; less parts and lower manufacturing tolerances = lower price vehicles.

I haven't seen a picture but if the accident went as far as crumpling past the suspension hanger and some portion into the engine bay, then its likely that other parts have been shifted or bent, and only time will really tell. If you're a gear head and feel up for the challenge of giving this car the love it deserves go for it! But if you're on a budget then this may not be the one for you considering the potential costs up ahead, and everyone here would really hate to hear that you spent $50XXX+ dollars for something that doesn't work.

Also keep in mind that the warranty may be voided on your car, and since the F8x series is still pretty new, no one really knows the longevity.

EDIT:

I just realized you posted this almost a month ago! Sorry you haven't had too many responses... hope you find/found a M4 one way or the other!
Appreciate 1