BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-07-2018, 03:26 AM   #45
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92ben View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
I haven't driven it, but two pluses are AWD and the fact that you can get a decent stereo system.
awd is not a plus
Except if you live in 75% of the country and get snow every year :-)
That's what winter tires are for. Just saying
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #46
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't driven it, but two pluses are AWD and the fact that you can get a decent stereo system.
awd is not a plus
Not even nearly the same. Come out here in Wisconsin with your winter tires. (Been there done that on 3 different Ms). 1/3 of the winter you still can't leave the house. That's why you own 2 cars. Or if you can't. Buy something AWD

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #47
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
awd is not a plus
Not even nearly the same. Come out here in Wisconsin with your winter tires. (Been there done that on 3 different Ms). 1/3 of the winter you still can't leave the house. That's why you own 2 cars. Or if you can't. Buy something AWD
Well we get plenty of snow here some years and I'm fine with my M4 and winter rubber. Maybe you should check out some Audi's

It's sad but BMW has nothing left. Ultimate Driving Machine is gone

Heavy AWD vehicles made in Mexico
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #48
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Coming from having a F10 550i and F85 X5M to now F80 M3 I can offer my experience between these cars.

The 550 was fast, deceptively fast since its so smooth and quiet. Same with the X5M. They were both pretty looking cars, fast in a straight line but I found myself getting bored with both of them in less than a year. Blasting off in a straight line is fun but after awhile it gets boring and these cars don't offer anything else in terms of driver enjoyment/involvement.

As for my F80 it lacks alot of the refinements that the other two cars had but it MORE than makes up for it in terms of the fun factor it provides me. Its the best looking BMW to date and it makes me look forward to driving it even if its just going to the grocery store. (being 6MT helps alot here). Most would think the 550 or X5M are better road trip cars but after doing it with all three I find myself enjoying the M3 way more because it keeps me entertained on the long drive.

Maybe the M5 is the happy middle ground out of these cars but without a manual gear box I still don't think it will be as fun as the M3 even though its faster.

Alan
      11-15-2018, 07:17 AM   #49
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Three weeks ago I traded my M4 (F83 ) for my new, 2019 M550i Xdrive. Absolutely no regrets, but they are, indeed, different cars. The M4 was a raw beast, easily breaking the rear wheels loose at almost anytime. It cornered on rails, and you feel every bit of the road. By contrast, the M550i is refined, luxurious, comfortable, quiet, and stable. It is very quick off the line, corners very well in sport plus mode, and the V8 sound is wonderful. I, personally, had missed some of the luxury I had before I purchased the M4. I made the right decision to get all that back, and retain the performance I enjoy. I never tracked my M4 (did drive COTA with BMW's cars), and never intend to track the M550i. I agree, drive both and you will immediately feel the difference and be able to decide for yourself. I love the M550i. BTW, I'm 69, and I am a grandpa!
Appreciate 1
Arcades8121.50