Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
eltoshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Rear shock top mount removal

Does anyone know what specific tool is needed for the top mount shock nut for the rear shocks? The Schwaben 18mm strut nut tool only works for the front struts on my car, but the rear shocks top mounts have such a narrow opening the socket can't reach the nut itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoshan View Post
Does anyone know what specific tool is needed for the top mount shock nut for the rear shocks? The Schwaben 18mm strut nut tool only works for the front struts on my car, but the rear shocks top mounts have such a narrow opening the socket can't reach the nut itself.
I use a gearwrench brand socket #80789
      11-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoshan View Post
Look for a thin wall socket from Snap On, Mac or Matco. 3/8" drive sockets will also have a smaller overall diameter than 1/2" drive.

Another option is to take your socket to the grinder and thin out the walls enough so it will fit and turn freely.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
Brentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW e90 M3 Competition

Guys thought I would pay it forward since nowhere does anyone say the e-torx (external) bolt size for the rear 2016 F82/F83 M4 shock tower mount. For clarity - pic attached... Hope this saves a few hours of some poor helpless soul like myself.

Where torx are T, External Torx are "E". The ones shown in my pic are E-12 and sold at Northern tool as set for $14.

E-12

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:54 AM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentis View Post
Guys thought I would pay it forward since nowhere does anyone say the e-torx (external) bolt size for the rear 2016 F82/F83 M4 shock tower mount. For clarity - pic attached... Hope this saves a few hours of some poor helpless soul like myself.

Where torx are T, External Torx are "E". The ones shown in my pic are E-12 and sold at Northern tool as set for $14.

E-12

Good info. Anyone who works on BMWs should have an E-Torx socket set. However, that's not what OP is asking about. OP is asking about the nut that holds the top hat to the shock shaft.

To OP: What heckyeahbro69 recommended will work. You can also take your strut to Pep Boys or something and just try a bunch of 12-pointed deep sockets to see what will fit -- this is what I did and eventually, I ended up with a 12-pointed standard (not metric) size socket with thin walls. Whatever works works I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #6
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

I went to autozone with the rear shock in hand to find a socket that fits... i vaguely remember that 1/2" socket is thicker and wouldnt fit the hole. The 3/8" socket worked.

Try a auto store first. Homedepot and lowes might also work too.
Appreciate 0