Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-15-2023, 02:38 PM   #1
ramifications
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition

Cool AA Single Midpipe Impressions

After going back and forth, I chose the AA single midpipe (non-resonated) instead of equal length. I've been using it for 2-3 months now and these are my impressions on a 6MT car with no other mods:

1. Overall volume is about twice as loud on full throttle with valves open, and maybe 15% louder with valves closed. It's perfect for a nice aggressive sound when you want it to be (but not obnoxious) and still can be quiet around town. I have a baby and it is the perfect balance of nice sound when I want it.

2. The low end sound (2-5k) is now much deeper, more aggressive and it sort of roars when you step on it and quickly release the throttle (sport mode). I think it sounds awesome and is less farty than before the midpipe was installed.

3. The high end (5-7k rpm) sound seems to get a little lost. Definitely not as nice as some of the videos I've heard of the equal length midpipes, but for me the low end more than makes up for that. Also, in general I'm driving at lower RPMs 90% of time, and I don't want to have to hit 7k RPM everytime I want to hear my car sound great.

4. There is no drone that I've noticed. Even on the highway with valves open.

5. Without any tuning at all, it seems to pop a bit more, not a ton more, but noticeable and more agressive pops. But definitely not obnoxious or annoying.

6. It sounds best after warming up for 30 secs or so. On very cold start, it's a bit tinny and may have a bit of rasp that goes away completely soon after.

7. Installation was slightly annoying because it seems the fitment from the AA factory may have been off slightly. We had to adjust the rear and mid sections of the exhaust a bunch before we got it so the pipe wasn't touching anywhere it shouldn't. I used the OEM brace to lift the pipe off of the new AA brace while fitting. I did it myself with a couple of friends on a lift and it took us about 3 hours. We needed a torch to heat up the bolts that attach to the downpipes because they were rusted on even though it was a very low mileage car. I recommend buying some gaskets and new downpipe bolts before attempting install. BTW, Mike at extreme powerhouse shipped it to me across the country and gave me the best deal. It arrived quickly with no issues. Thanks Mike!

Overall, I listened to a ton of youtube videos of all types of midpipes before I bought it and I'm very happy with the choice. To me the low end sounds so much better, like what I envision from a proper sports car. I do wish it had a bit more high end like some of the "race-car" like sound of the equal length midpipe, but overall the low end improvement is worth more to me. Thanks to the advice of community members!

Feel free to ask any other impression questions, I'm happy to help where I can!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:50 PM   #2
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

Thanks for the review, I'm about to get one installed (resonated w/ VRSF catless dp and a dinan muffler). Are you running stock muffler? Catted downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:57 PM   #3
ramifications
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Y_stack_acceleration View Post
Thanks for the review, I'm about to get one installed (resonated w/ VRSF catless dp and a dinan muffler). Are you running stock muffler? Catted downpipes?
Everything else is stock. Probably will stay that way for mechanical stuff. Main thing I want to do now is to change the exhaust tips. If anyone wants to get rid of some for cheap, I could take them off your hands.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:54 PM   #4
theultimategift
noburblespls
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Great review Rami, however I do like the sonics 4k right to redline.. however I’m catless right to a stock muffler. Best setup imo, no need for an aftermarket muffler.. Are you thinking about going catless dp in the future?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0