Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
highbeamer
Overjoyed with the contents of my garage.
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F82

1st time DCT users

Among new M3/M4 owners, if this is your first DCT, what do you think and are you glad you chose it? I've always had manuals but decided to give this a shot and although I very much dig the speed, smoothness etc., there are a couple of things that are hard to get used to. Specifically, when backing up my driveway into my garage I'm pretty sure the clutches are slipping (they kinda have to be) just like I would with a stick. More frequently though, when stuck in traffic, before the clutch decides to let go, it has to be slipping there as well. I'm fairly confident the Germans have this dialed in but I'm curious about other owners perceptions.

Rolling backwards when in "drive", that I can get used to.

(not a forum regular so go easy on me.)
      12-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
m4pewpew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have DCT and it's my first, and I love it!
7/7/14: On the waiting list | 9/8/14: Order submitted | 10/2/14: Order approved. Production number received | 11/7/14: In Production | 11/15/14: End of production | 11/21/14: En route to the US | 12/7/14: Finishing touches | 12/13/14: At the dealer | 12/15/14: Car in garage
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

same here and never had an automatic or DCT in Europe!

its totally worth the extra money! unless you want a manual ;-)
      12-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
first for me as well....i love the "easyness" of it when i dont want to shift and the way it downshifts like a real manual and revs the engine up on each downshift where you get the "whoomp" from the exhaust or when you are hauling ass and come to a stop it downshifts thru the gears. it has so many good points that are hard to argue with... i guess i miss the ability to dump the clutch at whatever RPM i want but this car has enough power where you dont need that to rip the tires or pushing in the clutch for that random "rev" when you want to hear your exhaust. All in all Im happy with it because its a nice balance of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
highbeamer
Rep

DCT

I picked mine up on the 15th too! And I love the DCT! I thought I did my homework but had no idea it wasn't "in gear" until you kicked it in with the throttle, and would roll until you did. Still trying to fully comprehend the concept of 2 sub-transmissions trading off which one delivers the goods.
      12-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Now that I can write opinions based on first-hand experience and first time DCT users

I find the DCT behavior so refreshing after having driven many PDK and Steptronic cars. It truly acts as a manual, but I think it is even better than that. I don't think the clutches are slipping. When I am backing off, have to give a nudge on the throttle and it moves gently as I keep my foot on the pedal, but if I let go, the car slows down immediately almost coming to a stall, but it doesn't as the clutch disengages at the very last moment smoothly. At least I think that is what's happening, or maybe I am interpreting it incorrectly.

So far I am very pleased with the DCT and I cannot blame my wife for having it
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I had owned exclusively manual transmission cars for 16 years before taking a leap of faith and buying my first DCT in 2008 for my E92 M3. I liked it so much, I got DCT again on my M4.

Yes you will get some clutch slip when crawling forward or backwards. Just as you would on a 6MT.

BTW, the car is "in gear" even when you are not moving. It simply that the clutch is not engaged, hence no power transmitted. Just like a manual. If you gently tap the throttle, the clutch is slowly engaged and the car moves forward (or backwards if Reverse is selected). Stomp on the throttle (with DSC off) and the DCT will dump the clutch with the engine at high RPM for a nice smokey burnout.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
highbeamer
Rep

It is cool, once you get used to it, to dump the clutch by tapping the gas. There must be some slipping going on there as the rpms don't plunge like they would if you dumped a clutch in a manual. My CA kept correcting me when I referred to it as an automatic and now that I've driven it for a while I see why. It really isn't just a shift-able automatic. Very cool. And it sounds like most people dig it so far.

I dont mean to drill down too far into this business but I guess it would be bad to hold the car on a hill with the transmission. I know its bad to hold on a hill with an automatic, is it worse with these? It's hard to find info and I dont want to thrash the clutch in this car, I appreciate the input.
      12-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #9
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeamer
Among new M3/M4 owners, if this is your first DCT, what do you think and are you glad you chose it? I've always had manuals but decided to give this a shot and although I very much dig the speed, smoothness etc., there are a couple of things that are hard to get used to. Specifically, when backing up my driveway into my garage I'm pretty sure the clutches are slipping (they kinda have to be) just like I would with a stick. More frequently though, when stuck in traffic, before the clutch decides to let go, it has to be slipping there as well. I'm fairly confident the Germans have this dialed in but I'm curious about other owners perceptions.

Rolling backwards when in "drive", that I can get used to.

(not a forum regular so go easy on me.)
I had DCT on my 335is and loved it and have it on my M4 now. I think the roll is kind of cool and gives you the manual feel. The shifting is so fast and smooth and you can put on the harder shifting mode (3) and really feel the shift throwing you forward.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
///M Villain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
I had DCT on my 335is and loved it and have it on my M4 now. I think the roll is kind of cool and gives you the manual feel. The shifting is so fast and smooth and you can put on the harder shifting mode (3) and really feel the shift throwing you forward.
Do you not notice the difference in downshift from the 335is and M4? The 335is downshift was so much better imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

I love the DCT...if it is good enough for F1, it is good enough for me.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

About to take delivery of my first M and DCT car. On the test drives I found it pretty intuitive but as you say a bid odd being able to slip in D. At low speeds some jerkiness too but nothing compared to a torque monster with my 1st to 2nd shifts. Usually to avoid this I change so slowly in current manual all performance is lost!
      01-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I had the DCT in my second e92 and it was cool. Functioned great and was a blast in manual mode. I was NOT a fan of the way the car drove in Auto. It was not smooth IMO.

I originally ordered DCT on my F80 but switched up and got 6MT. I think there are pros and cons to both. I can say this though. I never long for DCT while getting into it because I love rowing gears. I dont track so I dont care if Bob across the street is a little quicker.

I do sometimes long for DCT when in traffic. So even though I didnt like the way auto mode felt the option was nice.

If I ordered today I would get 6MT again. I spent the DCT cash on Full Leather and Adaptive Suspension. Full leather is the tits.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #14
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I had the DCT in my second e92 and it was cool. Functioned great and was a blast in manual mode. I was NOT a fan of the way the car drove in Auto. It was not smooth IMO.

I originally ordered DCT on my F80 but switched up and got 6MT. I think there are pros and cons to both. I can say this though. I never long for DCT while getting into it because I love rowing gears. I dont track so I dont care if Bob across the street is a little quicker.

I do sometimes long for DCT when in traffic. So even though I didnt like the way auto mode felt the option was nice.

If I ordered today I would get 6MT again. I spent the DCT cash on Full Leather and Adaptive Suspension. Full leather is the tits.
i agree with this guy. except for the fact that I do track, and enjoy the manual there for the fun and the challenge.

both are great options, just depends what you like.

I had a DCT e92 and while I liked a lot of things about it, it just left me a little cold. I missed the challenge and experience of a manual. makes me more connected and focused while driving, either to the grocery store or towards that next braking zone and corner on the track

whatever you choose, get the car on the track! that way you can see what the M is all about