EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-22-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

0-60 speeds; faster DCT manual or automatic mode?

Seems like a simple question, but which would be faster 0 to 60 acceleration on a DCT - manually shifting or automatic (fast mode)?
      08-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

They should be identical as long as you are shifting at the proper RPM when in manual mode. Using similar Drivelogic settings in both cases may also be important, and obviously this assumes equivalent launch techniques as well.

Depending on circumstances, using Launch Control might give you best results, but even if so, you could still emulate that in manual mode. Remember, you'll only need to shift once - from first to second - to get to 60mph. That would be easy enough to get right manually even if you used LC to do the actual launch.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Auto. Less role the driver plays the better. Soon they will have a "0-60 Button" and all you gotta do is press it. It's a trend I don't like at all but it is real.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
OutlawX3M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Manually shifting the DCT vs letting the programming do it for you?

Logically speaking, for us to be faster manually shifting the DCT, the assumption would need to be that the programming isn't shifting at the optimal upshift point and we (humans) could do it.

I can't see M doing that. Then again, I could be wrong..... I'm assuming the shift points are programmed for "absolute speed" where there could be more variables involved (longevity/warranty, liability, etc).

Would be fun testing this if we had the proper equipment.....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
They should be identical as long as you are shifting at the proper RPM when in manual mode. Using similar Drivelogic settings in both cases may also be important, and obviously this assumes equivalent launch techniques as well.

Depending on circumstances, using Launch Control might give you best results, but even if so, you could still emulate that in manual mode. Remember, you'll only need to shift once - from first to second - to get to 60mph. That would be easy enough to get right manually even if you used LC to do the actual launch.
0-60, Is this also true in sport vs sport+ engine management mode? Efficiency, must be slower based on my dyno butt?

Last edited by shortseller; 08-22-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
OutlawX3M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
0-60, Is this also true in sport vs sport+ engine management mode? Efficiency, must be slower based on my dyno butt?
This is a good article that explains some of the dynamics of the "modes".

"In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbochargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbochargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine’s build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.

The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast buildup of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems."
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks, that explains a lot behind the modes. I'm just curious if anyone has done 0-60 runs in each mode to see what the time differences are, if any? I've never seen this addressed by any of the review magazines. I'm guessing sport+ is faster in a 0-60 sprint than efficiency, but wondering if sport+ is faster than sport?
      08-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
A bit OT, but yes, engine dynamics modes should also be normalized if for no other reason then it makes for a more controlled experiment.

That being said, if you compared two M3/M4, one set to D1/Efficient and the other set to S3/Sport+, my guess is that they would be very close in acceleration. I say this because at WOT and while shifting at high RPM, there is not going to be a whole lot of difference between the behavior of the engine and transmission.

Also, FWIW, theoretically, suspension settings will play a roll in launching as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
krotondo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW/Full SO M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G View Post
Seems like a simple question, but which would be faster 0 to 60 acceleration on a DCT - manually shifting or automatic (fast mode)?
Side note...

Any pics of your car? I am ordering the same combo in december just will Full Leather (not sure if you have it)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotondo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G View Post
Side note...

Any pics of your car? I am ordering the same combo in december just will Full Leather (not sure if you have it)
I don't have full leather; to me that's a bit much and more Maserati-like. But I love the car; such a different beast though from my E46 M!
Attached Images

08-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
Kevin G
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And interior:
Attached Images

08-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
A bit OT, but yes, engine dynamics modes should also be normalized if for no other reason then it makes for a more controlled experiment.

That being said, if you compared two M3/M4, one set to D1/Efficient and the other set to S3/Sport+, my guess is that they would be very close in acceleration. I say this because at WOT and while shifting at high RPM, there is not going to be a whole lot of difference between the behavior of the engine and transmission.

Also, FWIW, theoretically, suspension settings will play a roll in launching as well.
Yes, and thank you. Just that I've yet to see this covered here on the forum, unless I missed it -even after a search, and to my knowledge never addressed in an article, so the 0-60 DCT shifting seemed more appropriate than starting a whole new thread that would get no participation.