Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #133
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guy3 View Post
nah man. I use to drive a E92 M3 with full catless exhuast+tune. the E92 is a outdated car, which is why i got rid of mine. currently looking to get a 911 or corvette z06.

The F80 are very fast, but just doesn't hit the spot like they use to (M3s).

if you can get over the honda like sound of the car, then its totally one of the best buys on the car market,.
The Honda sound? So you never really drove one?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #134
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
The Honda sound? So you never really drove one?
inside the car, it sounded fine. It was outside the car where the problem was.

Also it made a fart noise which i didn't really like.When i let off the gas at higher RPM it makes this weird noise also(like a sudden drop in exhaust noise). overall not a good sounding car.

although coming from a E92 M3. the e92 M3 sounds better to my ears, but its also a fair bit slower. The f80 pulls really nice, down low power was great. So i can understand why people love the car. I personally had a full exhaust e92 m3, so its just to hard for me to like the sound. but everything else was great.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #135
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Also it made a fart noise which i didn't really like.When i let off the gas at higher RPM it makes this weird noise also(like a sudden drop in exhaust noise). overall not a good sounding car.

although coming from a E92 M3. the e92 M3 sounds better to my ears, but its also a fair bit slower. The f80 pulls really nice, down low power was great. So i can understand why people love the car. I personally had a full exhaust e92 m3, so its just to hard for me to like the sound. but everything else was great.
How did you hear the car from the outside while driving it? So really you're just worried about what others think about the sound?

The fart sounds actually are caused mostly by the exhaust valves. Locking them open changes it a good bit. Many full exhaust solutions also make the car sound much better.

I personally came from two e9x w/ like 7 different full exhausts. They sound different but comparing a stock F8x to a full E92 exhaust is a bit unfair no? The E92 only sounded good stock because of the intake noise. The exhaust was pretty meh.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #136
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:

funny that almost everyone I know that heard my F80 M3 go by say nice effing sound!

Last edited by /// M sa; 05-28-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #137
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How did you hear the car from the outside while driving it? So really you're just worried about what others think about the sound?

The fart sounds actually are caused mostly by the exhaust valves. Locking them open changes it a good bit. Many full exhaust solutions also make the car sound much better.

I personally came from two e9x w/ like 7 different full exhausts. They sound different but comparing a stock F8x to a full E92 exhaust is a bit unfair no? The E92 only sounded good stock because of the intake noise. The exhaust was pretty meh.
the E92 came from a different era, the stock exhaust does not have the tech the F80 has. Where it came open up and close. the F80 is louder stock, but its not a good loud IMO. I find it hard to believe the f80 will never sound good, exhaust or not. in fact after driving the F80 i would want my car quieter from the outside because i dont like the noise that others will hear from my car. I was able to hear the car from the outside by rolling down my windows, AND hearing it with a drive by while standing outside the car.

Listen just like the E46,the F80 sounds like crap to me. there are mixed reviews on the sound of the car from both professionals and the public. some like it, some dont . Why is it so hard to believe that some people think the F80 sounds terrible? I will probably order a Z06 once i can get a allocation for a 2016 model. I prefer a S/C V8. i will let you guess why.

the f80 is great car, if you are ok with how it sounds. I really mean that.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #138
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the E92 came from a different era, the stock exhaust does not have the tech the F80 has. Where it came open up and close. the F80 is louder stock, but its not a good loud IMO. I find it hard to believe the f80 will never sound good, exhaust or not. in fact after driving the F80 i would want my car quieter from the outside because i dont like the noise that others will hear from my car. I was able to hear the car from the outside by rolling down my windows, AND hearing it with a drive by while standing outside the car.

Listen just like the E46,the F80 sounds like crap to me. there are mixed reviews on the sound of the car from both professionals and the public. some like it, some dont . Why is it so hard to believe that some people think the F80 sounds terrible? I will probably order a Z06 once i can get a allocation for a 2016 model. I prefer a S/C V8. i will let you guess why.

the f80 is great car, if you are ok with how it sounds. I really mean that.
I implore you to give an F80 w/ the valves locked open a try. It really does make a huge difference. Instead of farts you get awesome cracks and burbles in deceleration. But it'll never sound like a V8. It is what it is right.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #139
M3guy3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I implore you to give an F80 w/ the valves locked open a try. It really does make a huge difference. Instead of farts you get awesome cracks and burbles in deceleration. But it'll never sound like a V8. It is what it is right.
far enough, maybe i will hear one when i am back in cally.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #140
krishenv
Private
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishenv View Post
Is the c63s a direct competition to the m3 or is it supposed to be the direct competition to its competition package when it comes out ?
People will argue both ways. My opinion is that the C63 best compares to the M3 and the C63S to the M3 with competition package. However, all C63 versions are absolutely direct competitors to the M3 as it sits today. We also aren't sure what the competition package will even bring relative to changes so it may only be a nominal change to the current car.
Interesting ? When do u think theyll release the competition package
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #141
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Don't know... maybe next year. Maybe the year after. Lots of speculation but no clear answers.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #142
krishenv
Private
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't know... maybe next year. Maybe the year after. Lots of speculation but no clear answers.
When do u think the facelift for the m4 will come out ?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #143
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Again, not sure... my guess is next year.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #144
krishenv
Private
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hopefully itll have no dimension changes .. That would suck
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #145
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I'm guessing 2018 as the F32 was 2 years behind the F30 right?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #146
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

similarly optioned right now C63s vs M3 is about a $10k price differential... that is significant enough to convince me. I optioned both and keeping in mind that benz dealers currently want close to MSRP on these cars and you can find some deals on M3s the difference was about $15k. If you are planning on leasing you are in a whole other league. We don't know residuals on MY16 M3 yet but leases on the C63s are being quoted north of $1200....
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #147
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Copied from a post I made in another thread...

I got to see a C63S Edition 1 in the flesh today. I didn't drive it (it hadn't gone through PDI) but I got to sit it in, rev the engine and play around. My observations...
  • In person, it looks nicer on the outside than in pictures. However, I now officially don't like the rear (too round and soft) or the profile. Clearly personal preference and others will have different views.
  • The rear looks just like a C300 except it has a very small trunk lip and the diffuser exhaust area. Please, MB, fix this on the coupe!!
  • Wheels looked great... offset is aggressive and wheel gap is well executed (or better than the M anyway).
  • Offet won't allow for concave wheels... I dislike that but, again, personal preference.
  • Interior is very nice. The seats were absolutely stellar... likely the best I have ever seen on any car. No exaggeration.
  • Steering wheel... awesome!
  • Center console was also amazing... the CF center had a red tint to it and was very sporty.
  • I did not like all of the chrome/silver trim... too old man luxury and not enough sportiness IMO
  • Here is a surprise... the full leather dash on the M3/4 looks nicer than the dash of the C63S. It has a great feel but a fake looking texture. I much prefer my full leather.
  • I don't personally like the dash design over the glove box... too boxy.
  • I don't mind the shifter on the steering column which surprises me. In fact, I find the center console to flow exceptionally well because there is no shifter.
  • The technology was really cool. Tons of customization. Awesome graphics. Well executed menu system. Better than the current version of iDrive IMO.
  • I love the on/off switch for the exhaust valves... why BMW didn't give this to us is beyond me.
  • The sound? AWESOME!!! In race mode, the exhaust sounds deep, smooth, rumbly, farts and is angry. True V8 sound and not too disimilar to the W204 C63 that I owned. As much as I thought I liked the M4 sound, this reminded me of what I was missing... time to buy the AWE exhaust!!

Overall, I liked it more than I thought which is a good thing. But, for me, the M3 is clearly the nicer looking car on the outside... by a wide margin IMO. The C63S, in person, looks "classy" and "elegant" and not as sporty or aggressive as the M3 with its wide rear end, deep concave wheels and aggressive stance. Inside, however, it's closer with a win to MB. I like the C63S more but only because of 3 things... the seats (mainly), the steering wheel, the cool tech and the well executed center console. What's holding it back from being a big victory, IMO, is the chrome (a.k.a. "old man") trim and the surprisingly less expensive feel and look of the dash.

I hope people know that I try to be as unbiased as I can be (not that anyone is ever really unbiased). I really like and appreciate a lot of cars, have owned a lot of brands and likely will own a non-M something again at some point if for no reason other than it is fun to do so. Having said that, and putting performance aside (as I haven't driven it) the M3 wins for me even when sound is taken into account at this point.

I am, however, excited for the coupe. I'm hoping MB fixes the exterior design issues (that I see, anyway) and if they do, the C63S coupe will be a real head turner and a worthy alternative to the M4. At this point, exterior aesthetics alone keep the M3 ahead of the the C63S sedan. The dealer told me I can take a C63S for a test drive once they finish PDI, etc... I'll report back then but I expect the C63 will fair well from a performance perspective
Saw it today. Agree on all the points you made.
- The exhaust actually sounds better than my C63
- The slanted console looks awesome. I really don't think MB will go back to the console based shifter
- The front is very different from the regular C
- The new front caliper's design is really nice
- Really nice Comand this time, awesome graphics and easy to use

Definately will buy the coupe.

Last edited by bimmerj; 05-28-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2015, 12:43 AM   #148
gxman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
similarly optioned right now C63s vs M3 is about a $10k price differential... that is significant enough to convince me. I optioned both and keeping in mind that benz dealers currently want close to MSRP on these cars and you can find some deals on M3s the difference was about $15k. If you are planning on leasing you are in a whole other league. We don't know residuals on MY16 M3 yet but leases on the C63s are being quoted north of $1200....

It all depends on how heavy you want to go with the options.

C63s with mulitmedia package totals $76.5K.
This includes full leather, nav, rear camera, HUD, 19" wheels, and MC-T auto.

M3 $74K.
full leather, exec package, 19" wheels, DC-T

So $2.5K difference for similiarly optioned. The C63s will lack carbon fiber trims and the 4yr free maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:44 AM   #149
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Hi guys I'm currently deciding between buying an m4/m3 or a c63s as my daily driver ,please help me make my choice . Ive been surfing this forum ever since the m4 and m3 released and i have learnt that the car is nothing but spectacular, but from what ive heard the c63s is a beast as well and im torn apart between choosing between them . Im not biased over amg nor m but i really need honest opinions! Thanks guys ! :
Hyundai Genesis coupe is probably your best bet, nothing is comparable to the Genny Zone.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #150
krishenv
Private
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich
Quote:
Hi guys I'm currently deciding between buying an m4/m3 or a c63s as my daily driver ,please help me make my choice . Ive been surfing this forum ever since the m4 and m3 released and i have learnt that the car is nothing but spectacular, but from what ive heard the c63s is a beast as well and im torn apart between choosing between them . Im not biased over amg nor m but i really need honest opinions! Thanks guys ! :
Hyundai Genesis coupe is probably your best bet, nothing is comparable to the Genny Zone.
Ew
Appreciate 0