Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

10-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
///MPE
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Why is Euro MDM less intrusive than US MDM?

My Question ^^^
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

american's love to sue because no one protected them from their own stupidity, thats my guess.
Appreciate 16
SakhirM410784.50
///MPE217.00
Lups11826.50
stormlv932.00
Naz241627.50
rr006rbc1204.00
M-Pilot4859.00
Ex_Stig2594.00
AndrewC198910931.00
      10-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
american's love to sue because no one protected them from their own stupidity, thats my guess.
"Accountability" will be removed from the english dictionary in the very near future...
Appreciate 6
SakhirM410784.50
stormlv932.00
Naz241627.50
Ex_Stig2594.00
      10-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
I go with this one, I think euro MDM is less intrusive because Americans likes to sue.

Here in Asia we get Euro version BMWs, so that means Asians better driver than Americans too?

I think it's liability reasons.
Appreciate 1
Lups11826.50
      10-23-2017, 05:21 AM   #5
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
I go with this one, I think euro MDM is less intrusive because Americans likes to sue.

Here in Asia we get Euro version BMWs, so that means Asians better driver than Americans too?

I dont think so... You can sue here in Germany as well. Law suits exists everywhere. The Germans do not like to brag about it and you will not see them in the front cover of newspapers the same way you would in the US.

I think the roads are in way better condition in Germany than in the US despite the fact that you cannot get on one autobahn and go from point A to point B without encountering the damn construction zones... There is a lower margin of error caused by foreign debris, external conditions, different road building practices. ect. And hence you do not want to enable a driver that is supposed to have check systems behave in a way to is not adequate for the environment where it is supposed to operate.

Also, we do not know if a vehicle from Germany has the same exact MDM setting by default from a vehicle that is sold say Czech Republic. Not sure at this time but the MDM coding is a little more granular than just a generic setting from US to ECE in some areas. They could be different. I dont know one sane driver that would drive the same way in a Czech back country road as he would in a German back country road. That is because you start driving from country to country and the condition of the infrastructure becomes obviously different.

Also, i have driven in Korea and Japan... The japanese are mode cordial to other drivers than the South Koreans but nothing to write home about. Dont get me started talking about Thailand, India and China when it comes to driving... Just NUTs...

and NO. You do not get the European versions of BMW platforms. you guys have your own...

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 10-23-2017 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I doubt it's for liability reasons. When you're in MDM mode in either continent, you've disabled stability systems which I'm sure can be verified after an accident.

I'd lean towards the US having more auto safety laws in general.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

LAWYERS
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile United States - FMVSS Cause of LED Light and MDM Parameters

Pretty much the same reason the Adaptive LED lights are not functional in this country, is the reason why the Dynamic Stability Control is more intrusive than in the European Nations.

The United States has the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard and is not part of the UN's version known as the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations.

Looking at the driving capability of some of the nations being compared to the US's and we all see a difference of ability. While it is an issue to some, taking the time to go to an appropriate place to turn it all off is worth it. I find no reason to be less intrusive, since I go somewhere I can negate it completely.
      10-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

Because 'murica.

Same reason I can't understand why our LED lights have limited brightness unless coded, our anti-dazzle is disabled, no laser lights yet, ugly reflectors on every edge of the car, can't close my windows with keyfob, brake force tail light flashing disabled & many more, but you get the point.
Appreciate 2
Naz241627.50
      10-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Someone in Europe actually wants the amber side markers!
Coding F80 LCI II - Amber Side Markers in Adaptive LED Headlights http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1433109
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Definitely a liability issue. Way too many lawyers in this country. Where else in the world do you see warnings on coffee cups?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Definitely a liability issue. Way too many lawyers in this country. Where else in the world do you see warnings on coffee cups?
Yea thanks Kramer
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
Pretty much the same reason the Adaptive LED lights are not functional in this country, is the reason why the Dynamic Stability Control is more intrusive than in the European Nations.

The United States has the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard and is not part of the UN's version known as the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations.

Looking at the driving capability of some of the nations being compared to the US's and we all see a difference of ability. While it is an issue to some, taking the time to go to an appropriate place to turn it all off is worth it. I find no reason to be less intrusive, since I go somewhere I can negate it completely.
Seems this gentlemen is correct:

https://www.carsim.com/applications/fmvss126/index.php
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 10:58 PM   #14
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
Quote:

I dont think so... You can sue here in Germany as well. Law suits exists everywhere. The Germans do not like to brag about it and you will not see them in the front cover of newspapers the same way you would in the US.

I think the roads are in way better condition in Germany than in the US despite the fact that you cannot get on one autobahn and go from point A to point B without encountering the damn construction zones... There is a lower margin of error caused by foreign debris, external conditions, different road building practices. ect. And hence you do not want to enable a driver that is supposed to have check systems behave in a way to is not adequate for the environment where it is supposed to operate.

Also, we do not know if a vehicle from Germany has the same exact MDM setting by default from a vehicle that is sold say Czech Republic. Not sure at this time but the MDM coding is a little more granular than just a generic setting from US to ECE in some areas. They could be different. I dont know one sane driver that would drive the same way in a Czech back country road as he would in a German back country road. That is because you start driving from country to country and the condition of the infrastructure becomes obviously different.

Also, i have driven in Korea and Japan... The japanese are mode cordial to other drivers than the South Koreans but nothing to write home about. Dont get me started talking about Thailand, India and China when it comes to driving... Just NUTs...

and NO. You do not get the European versions of BMW platforms. you guys have your own...
I highly doubt BMW individualized MDM settings for different countries.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #15
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPE View Post
My Question ^^^
It actually had more to do with Canada than the US. Once CMVSS was changed, "US MDM" was made the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #16
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
I highly doubt BMW individualized MDM settings for different countries.
Me neither....to comply with EU regs for electronic stability control, BMW produces a harmonised system for all EU markets.
While they may well be prepared to produce a more stringent system for a market that requests/requires it (USA), I strongly doubt they would provide other markets with a system that is less stringent (than the EU standard).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #17
jbwolfe
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
Concur about the Japanese cordiality but they are still poor at lane discipline (better than US drivers though). China is utter chaos- if you blink, you lose. Lanes are suggestions only, shoulders are fair game. Not too many speeders or hoonigans. Twenty years ago everyone had a bicycle. It was chaos then and that's where all the traffic habits evolved from.

'15 M3 6MT MetGrey 19s: hull strike 2018
2018 M3 TanzBlue DCT
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #18
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Flashed the GTS MDM and was able to catch a WOT run today. SOLID chirp when shifting from 2nd to 3rd at full tilt. SATISFYING !! 95f+ degree weather helped these PSS's grip as well.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread