Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #23
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile Moments with the F80- There are Plenty

OP, there have so many varying moments with this car and I cannot equate them to being the Best or Worst. There have been other moments in life that have that honor.

Less Than Stellar moments: Bumping into my motorcycle (second or third time pulling into the garage), mountain bike falling down the side of the car after I drove to close, reversing into an inappropriately parked car, the one time I got pulled over after doing about 80 in a 35. I had actually pulled away like a maniac from the cop who was at my right quarter panel, I had not seen.

Great moments: Ordering day, Pick-up day, every time I get in the car, Auto-crossing, interacting with folks who comment about the car, simply listening to the car during start up, washing, detailing, doing donuts or doughnuts, and the one time I got pulled over. The officer gave me a verbal warning after a very interesting interaction of me admitting I was being an idiot and him in disbelief I did not see him.
MN2///M521.00
jwar9323.50
      11-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #24
MonacoMurphy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Best- An awesome weekend at Watkins Glen throwing it down. Hit 142 on the back straight, and if anybody has been there before, that means turns 2/3/4 (the Esses) had to be hit just right at full throttle!

Worst- 10 mins into my 5 hour drive headed out to Watkins Glen (the same weekend as above) I was turning left and hit a pot hole at just the right angle to chip my wheel and rip my tire which then caused me to have to over night a new tire to the track. I was on the phone with tire rack all day and night. Drove to the local airport during the first session of the day to grab my tire, otherwise it would have been on the truck going who knows where and taking who knows how long to get to the track. Got back to the track, had the tire installed during my mandatory drivers class, came back out for the second session and it was ready to go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #25
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Damn any CF roof damage? That's my nightmare.
No, just the windshield took it right on. The rest of the car still is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #26
DEANMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2024 M4  [0.00]
2023 X5  [0.00]
Best: Pushing it on an auto-cross (more like pushing myself)

Worst: Amazon delivery driver backing into my driver side fender and not having it for a month while insurance paid $15k to fix it
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #27
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Best: Driving through mountains in western North Carolina while my wife was sleeping from Dramamine.

Worst: Damaging oil cooler by running over road debris on the highway in traffic following a football game.
MN2///M521.00
lukej387.00
      11-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #28
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

best: driving from los angeles all the way to portland taking the 1

worst: going back to stock
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

worst moment - the dreaded curb rash , just stood there and stared at it in disgust of myself for at least 3 minutes

best - lets just say ive had a few best moments in the back seat if you know what i mean.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #30
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Best: Trying out launch control for the first time after getting the break-in inspection
Worst: Getting a chip on the front bumper ON THE WAY to getting PPF installed.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #31
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
Worst: Getting a chip on the front bumper ON THE WAY to getting PPF installed.
This is my nightmare. Driving straight from dealer to detailer but it's like 100 miles
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #32
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

To give different responses from the ones given since my worst would a really bad case of curve rash, and the best is my first drive after I figured out all the options and setting for DCT (It took a day or two to noodle though Efficient vs Sport vs Sport +)

Since my car is not my Daily driver:

Best: Any day I get to jump and and drive it. I still get a thumbs up on the road or someone coming over to me when I am stopped to compliment me on my M3.

Worst: Whenever I get to my destination and the drive is over. I just love driving this car. I have driven down the performance Center in Spartensburg, from DC a couple of times. I never use the cruise control, I just drive. I have driven down there in my Jeep, and I can't wait for the trip to be over.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #33
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Two moments are tied for best moment - taking delivery and getting Hex Tune Stage 1 at 25k miles 15 months later. The first time i heard burbles from my own car and now a video on youtube or someone else's ZCP was magical.

my worst moment is getting pulled over for speeding. I carefully and deliberately pulled over so as not to curb my rim, only to have the cop yell through the loud speaker that I was not pulled over far enough. I panicked and jerked the car over more, only to curb my rim. I did, however, not receive a ticket. Having a brother who is a cop certainly helps with a Yas Marina Blue F80.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #34
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Best, the day I picked her up in Munich. Worst.... the day I overheated the DCT at the track lol
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-09-2017, 02:56 AM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Worst: car is maybe 4 months old and I? crunch my front bumper on a parking lot pylon.

2nd worse: has the bumper fixed and repainted. About 4 months later I? find road rash on the bumper. Maybe I? hit a tire?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-09-2017, 06:32 AM   #36
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Best day - when i picked it up!

Worst day - when some stupid ass woman decided to bonzai an exit from the middle lane of the beltway 200 feet before the exit and then jammed on the brakes therefore leading to an accident that killed my headlight, bumper, fender, hood and a bunch of internal supports because she was too busy texting or some shit. In process now of going after diminished value.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #37
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

A
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #38
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Best: Hands down European delivery at the Welt.

Worst: When I first heard the M2 exhaust What were they thinking when they designed the M3 exhaust?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 2
MN2///M521.00
spdandpwr441.00
      11-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #39
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP\2018 X5 35i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Best: First track day at Spring Mountain.

Worst: Took it in for routine oil change. A tech working on the car next to mine had removed one of the seats. While moving it to the bench it fell on my drivers side fender. Took almost 2 weeks to fix. Picked up only to find major rock chips on the front to the point it went through the clear bra and a large paint drip on the drivers door. Sent back and took another 2 weeks to get it all right again.

Looked brand new when I finally got it back after getting the GM involved.
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #40
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
So now that some have shared, like many, I have many ///Moments. So hard to pick the best and worst so I'll probably add a few here and there.

Driving to Denver one day, traffic is backed up doing about 55 in the 2 most left lanes of the 4 lanes going north just past Castle Rock where the speed limit is 75 . I'm in the 3rd lane from the right and see that the right lane is totally open, so I signal and slide into the 2nd lane in front of a gold Chevy Tahoe, paused just long enough to check my mirrors before signaling again as I accelerate into the completely clear right most lane. I have no idea how fast I was going at that moment, but the gold Tahoe slides in behind me and a moment later I glimpse flashing red and blue lights in the rear view.

Damn! I immediately signal and brake as I pull onto the shoulder of the road followed by the unmarked police Tahoe. I pull my license and insurance and wait for the officer to come walking up to my driver's window. He says, "Car's pretty quick isn't it?" I simply replied "yes" as I hand him my license and insurance. He then says, "I had you at 91" to which I replied, "Yea, I was just trying to get around everyone hanging out in the left lane doing 20 under". At the time this happened, I still had a Florida driver's license and Florida plates on my car, so the officer advises me that it is illegal to pass on the right hand side here in Colorado. Now I am thinking this is really going to hurt as I wonder just how expensive this is going to be as he says to me, "The car stops pretty quick also, I was afraid I was going to run into you" and hands me my license/insurance back and tells me to pay more attention to my speed as he nods towards a State Trooper pulled over a few hundred yards up the road and says "That Trooper wouldn't be so nice; have a nice day".
Wish I had some nice cop encounters. So far I'm out of 3 times that I got pulled over, I was ticketed twice. The time I wasn't ticketed, I hadn't even done anything wrong. My whole car was searched in a quiet area here in NYC. The first thing the DT said to me was "Mr.Need for Speed over here huh?" & I was like "I'm sorry sir, but I wasn't speeding". He goes "I never said you were.License and registration". He then asked if the license was clean, so I said "Yes". He then threw it into my passenger seat and told me to step out the car.

He guided me towards the rear of the car, then told me to face his partner (At this point I'm facing away from the car).

After a few minutes, It done with and I get in & he had made a mess.

2nd time: Pulled over speeding, ticketed.

3rd (2 weeks after the speeding), 2 tickets for not signaling, at 1AM, with no cars around me.

In 2 weeks time, I went from having a clean license, to now being 1 point away from having my license suspended.

The fact that my car is super bright & sticks out like a highlighter in the sun, doesn't help.If my car was black, or any other subtle color I don't think I'd have as many issues.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      11-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #41
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreventador View Post
Wish I had some nice cop encounters. So far I'm out of 3 times that I got pulled over, I was ticketed twice. The time I wasn't ticketed, I hadn't even done anything wrong. My whole car was searched in a quiet area here in NYC. The first thing the DT said to me was "Mr.Need for Speed over here huh?" & I was like "I'm sorry sir, but I wasn't speeding". He goes "I never said you were.License and registration". He then asked if the license was clean, so I said "Yes". He then threw it into my passenger seat and told me to step out the car.

He guided me towards the rear of the car, then told me to face his partner (At this point I'm facing away from the car).

3rd (2 weeks after the speeding), 2 tickets for not signaling, at 1AM, with no cars around me.

In 2 weeks time, I went from having a clean license, to now being 1 point away from having my license suspended.

The fact that my car is super bright & sticks out like a highlighter in the sun, doesn't help.If my car was black, or any other subtle color I don't think I'd have as many issues.

Isn't it illegal for them to search your car without a warrant?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #42
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Quote:

It is without probable cause. However it's just not worth arguing, I had nothing to hide. These days probable cause can be just about anything here in NY.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #43
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

dreventador is right, you'll very rarely win an argument with a cop on the side of the road and many times make things only worse for yourself. There are lots of good cops out there, but unfortunately there seems to be more lately who just should not be in the job.

In my opinion, all the more reason to have front/rear dash cameras.

dreventador good for you for keeping your head otherwise you may have been arrested by this less than stellar officer. I would have filed a complaint for sure though, if not directly, through my attorney.
Appreciate 1