Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #639
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
So I had the opportunity to see and test drive my first CP yesterday. A friend of mine came over for some coding. We parked his CP BS M4 right beside mine in the driveway for good comparisons. He also allowed me to take it for a spin for some driving impressions. Both our cars have some modifications, so it is not a true CP to non-CP comparison, but still some elements were quite revealing.

Mine, 2015 DCT M4 SS on extended SS, relevent mods:
  • Eibach Pro kit
  • GC camber plates
  • MPE
  • 265(M0)-295(*)/35R19 PSS (no spacers)
  • BMS valve controller

His 2017 DCT CP M4 BS on full black, relevent mods:
  • KW HAS
  • 12mm spacers all around (stock PSS tires)
  • Akra Evolution exhaust (2nd cats removed)
  • Dinan stage 2 tune
  • CF intake (can't recall the make)
  • BMS valve controller

The 666M wheels do indeed look very good in real life, much better than in pictures. They have a nice delicate and 3D look to them, with a strong concavity on center. Interestingly, his wheels were a little dirty which I found made them look rather good (gave them a smoked chrome look). Taking his CP M4 for a spin, it was very clear that more recent M4s are more tightly built. The whole car felt more solid with none of the shaking and rattling going on. It has to be said that his car is new while mine has 17k miles and well over 40 track days, but I don't recall my M4 ever feeling that tight and quiet inside. As for the seats, I find the CP seat feel exactly like my non-CP seats with the lumbar support fully deflated. Going back and forth between the two cars, I could not feel a difference. We wanted to measure the shoulder support with a measuring tape, but forgot to do so. The damper tune on his car felt excellent (at least paired with his KW HAS) and did not feel less comfortable than mine. With the Dinan piggyback tune, the intake and Akra evolution, his car has very strong mid range torque. The roads were cold and wet, and only moderate throttle would get the rear wheels to spin. With the road conditions and being on public roads, I did not try the top end of the powerband. Those burbles on the CP though are pure bliss . No video does them justice. With the Akra evo, they sure were loud; I would not call them burbles but rather riffle shots . The only negative note is in respect to steering feel, it felt completely dead and numb compared to mine. The 12mm spacers on his car certainly don't help in that respect, while my car has the wider M0 265 in front plus the added camber from the GC plates.

I find that the improvements made to the 2017 M4 and with the CP improve the car in a non-negligible manner. I honestly think BMW should have been making it that way from the start. It has brought back some of that "///M specialness" that I found laking back in the car.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-30-2016 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18113.00
Mr Friese183.50
Seniorleb524.50
IM2C2065.00
      10-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #640
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
So I had the opportunity to see and test drive my first CP yesterday. A friend of mine came over for some coding. We parked his CP BS M4 right beside mine in the driveway for good comparisons. He also allowed me to take it for a spin for some driving impressions. Both our cars have some modifications, so it is not a true CP to non-CP comparison, but still some elements were quite revealing.

Mine, 2015 DCT M4 SS on extended SS, relevent mods:
  • Eibach Pro kit
  • GC camber plates
  • MPE
  • 265(M0)-295(*)/35R19 PSS (no spacers)
  • BMS valve controller

His 2017 DCT CP M4 BS on full black, relevent mods:
  • KW HAS
  • 12mm spacers all around (stock PSS tires)
  • Akra Evolution exhaust (2nd cats removed)
  • Dinan stage 2 tune
  • CF intake (can't recall the make)
  • BMS valve controller

The 666M wheels do indeed look very good in real life, much better than in pictures. They have a nice delicate and 3D look to them, with a strong concavity on center. Interestingly, his wheels were a little dirty which I found made them look rather good (gave them a smoked chrome look). Taking his CP M4 for a spin, it was very clear that more recent M4s are more tightly built. The whole car felt more solid with none of the shaking and rattling going on. It has to be said that his car is new while mine has 17k miles and well over 40 track days, but I don't recall my M4 ever feeling that tight and quiet inside. As for the seats, I find the CP seat feel exactly like my non-CP seats with the lumbar support fully deflated. Going back and forth between the two cars, I could not feel a difference. We wanted to measure the shoulder support with a measuring tape, but forgot to do so. The damper tune on his car felt excellent (at least paired with his KW HAS) and did not feel less comfortable than mine. With the Dinan piggyback tune, the intake and Akra evolution, his car has very strong mid range torque. The roads were cold and wet, and only moderate throttle would get the rear wheels to spin. With the road conditions and being on public roads, I did not try the top end of the powerband. Those burbles on the CP though are pure bliss . No video does them justice. With the Akra evo, there sure were loud. The only negative note is in respect to steering feel, it felt completely dead and numb compared to mine. The 12mm spacers on his car certainly don't help in that respect, while my car has the wider M0 265 in front plus the added camber from the GC plates.

I find that the improvements made to the 2017 M4 and with the CP improve the car in a non-negligible manner. I honestly think BMW should have been making it that way from the start. It has brought back some of that "///M specialness" that I found laking back in the car.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I'm guessing you'll check the ZCP box on your next build?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #641
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I'm guessing you'll check the ZCP box on your next build?
No, simply because, in Canada, the ZCP option is a cosmetics package (M Performance Carbon Package) for the M4 convertible. But I will very likely tick the ZHP box, which is the Competition Package in Canada .

I am still very curious about that rumoured "Club Sport" package or whatever it's going to be called. If the price and package is right, I will probably go with that.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      10-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #642
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4FOREVER View Post
Im doing 90 mph and im affraid to change labes. I swear. I thought the car would be more glue to the road. But that is not the impression I get. But im probably being fool by the hardness of the suspension. Am I?
Check your tire pressures?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #643
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Nice review, thanks.

I hear that comment about the rattling and shaking from a lot of first year ish owners, especially about the roof making some sound. In my '16, it's quiet and car seems pretty tight all-around, and that's saying something with stiffer springs and rock hard RE71Rs on bumpy east roads...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #644
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Nice review, thanks.

I hear that comment about the rattling and shaking from a lot of first year ish owners, especially about the roof making some sound. In my '16, it's quiet and car seems pretty tight all-around, and that's saying something with stiffer springs and rock hard RE71Rs on bumpy east roads...
While I had no real issues with my '15 (...delivered July '14), my '17 does feel a bit tighter and the dampening seems improved. I'm comparing both with H&R springs mated to Adaptive shocks. I had a minor glove compartment rattle in my '15 Yas, but it only made itself known on really cold days, and developed over time. It had 26,000 miles on it when I moved into the '17, so we'll see if any rattles develop with more miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #645
m3forme2016
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 SSII/SS Comp

Thank you so much for this writeup. I was thinking about getting ZCP, and this helped a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #646
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Do you guys think ZCP would hold her resale value compared to regular?

I mean relative to price paid. Say ZCP costs $5000 more than normal. 3 years down the lane would you be able to sell at a price $5000 or more higher than what you would have sold your normal one for?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #647
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Do you guys think ZCP would hold her resale value compared to regular?

I mean relative to price paid. Say ZCP costs $5000 more than normal. 3 years down the lane would you be able to sell at a price $5000 or more higher than what you would have sold your normal one for?
No option will return 100% when selling. I suggest you check that box if you want to (I recommend it!) without thinking about resale.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0