proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #177
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
We're exploring some options but no ETA on it unfortunately. For now you could accomplish that with a backend flash for an E85 blend and a JB4 on top where you run in say map0 or 4, flash only, when no E85 in the tank and then map6 with higher boost when you have E85 in there. Maybe double check with BMS if they have a map where boost can go higher based on ethanol sensor input like for instance with meth. Might be worth looking into..
When is the E85 map going to be officially released?

I think I finally found a vendor within driving distance I'm comfortable with. Should really help me get this going.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #178
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
We're exploring some options but no ETA on it unfortunately. For now you could accomplish that with a backend flash for an E85 blend and a JB4 on top where you run in say map0 or 4, flash only, when no E85 in the tank and then map6 with higher boost when you have E85 in there. Maybe double check with BMS if they have a map where boost can go higher based on ethanol sensor input like for instance with meth. Might be worth looking into..
Thank you for the quick response.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #179
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

This flash tune sounds awesome and I could get it done locally but this goddamned Crank Hub issue is keeping me from pulling the trigger. So fucking annoying
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #180
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
This flash tune sounds awesome and I could get it done locally but this goddamned Crank Hub issue is keeping me from pulling the trigger. So fucking annoying
I'm worried about it also. There is another thread floating around about a recent crank hub failure from a 2016 build.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #181
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
I'm worried about it also. There is another thread floating around about a recent crank hub failure from a 2016 build.
Yeah, I was just about to pull the trigger on this and saw that. Really very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #182
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I was just about to pull the trigger on this and saw that. Really very frustrating.
Whats Bootmod3 got to do with very very rare crank hub failures? The recent failure is on a bone stock car.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      02-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #183
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Whats Bootmod3 got to do with very very rare crank hub failures? The recent failure is on a bone stock car.
I just feel like if I do spin my HUB I have a better chance of getting it fixed under warranty than if I have a broken-in-to DME.....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #184
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I just feel like if I do spin my HUB I have a better chance of getting it fixed under warranty than if I have a broken-in-to DME.....
Unfortunately I feel the same way. I've been waiting for the nicer weather to jump on BM3 but this recent spun crank hub has me rethinking things. I know it's rare but it's still a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #185
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I look at it differently. There is also a chance of getting run over on the street or getting into an accident both of which are probably higher in probability than spinning a crank hub. In two years almost now its what like less than 10 cars if that? Thanks, I'll take my chances just like crossing the street or driving my car risking, but not everyone is the same I do get that.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      02-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #186
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
I look at it differently. There is also a chance of getting run over on the street or getting into an accident both of which are probably higher in probability than spinning a crank hub. In two years almost now its what like less than 10 cars if that? Thanks, I'll take my chances just like crossing the street or driving my car risking, but not everyone is the same I do get that.
What he said...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #187
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good point, two question and sorry to thread jack!

lol.

1) If a crank hub is spun, and is not covered under warranty, what's the cost? (Approx)

2). Once the DME is cracked open and the tune is installed, can you "refladh it" back to OEM?

Thanks. Really wanting to go with this Flash tune
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #188
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

lol.

1) If a crank hub is spun, and is not covered under warranty, what's the cost? (Approx)

2). Once the DME is cracked open and the tune is installed, can you "refladh it" back to OEM?

Idk best bet I think would be to call the stealership and ask them.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      02-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #189
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:

lol.

Yes thats the big seller point of Bootmod3 being able to flash back to stock on your own without needing to visit anyone.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1321851

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #190
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Awesome, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #191
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Quote:

lol.

Yes thats the big seller point of Bootmod3 being able to flash back to stock on your own without needing to visit anyone.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1321851
It's not the only tune that allows you to flash back to stock on your own.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #192
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, thanks
Ya but if they plug it in to BMW FASTA data they'll flag you car even if you flash back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #193
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
Quote:
Awesome, thanks
Ya but if they plug it in to BMW FASTA data they'll flag you car even if you flash back to stock.
^this is the real problem. Like Chewy basically said to each his own. Everyone is different regarding risk vs reward and how far they are willing to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #194
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, thanks
+1. This is the key point for warranty-worriers when it comes to flash vs. piggyback tunes (or tune vs. not).

With a flash, be it BM3, Hex, or one of the template tuners using the Euro-sourced file, if you flash back to your actual stock map or the dealership updates your DME, you'll get the 'DME tamper' code. You can flash back to a stock performance map using BM3 (not sure about VF) but any digging whatsoever on BMW's part will quickly put that little lie to bed.

Long story short, as soon as you unlock the DME and flash it, it's really game over for being able to flash to undetectable stock mode. That's just a risk you have to take if you want to jump in to the performance game.

On the piggyback front, I'm guessing it would take about 2% more effort on BMW's part to determine if there was a tune or not.

Based on that, if you're tuned, I wouldn't bother flashing back to stock or a stock performance map if taking your car in for service/warranty. The damage was already done.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #195
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, thanks
+1. This is the key point for warranty-worriers when it comes to flash vs. piggyback tunes (or tune vs. not).

With a flash, be it BM3, Hex, or one of the template tuners using the Euro-sourced file, if you flash back to your actual stock map or the dealership updates your DME, you'll get the 'DME tamper' code. You can flash back to a stock performance map using BM3 (not sure about VF) but any digging whatsoever on BMW's part will quickly put that little lie to bed.

Long story short, as soon as you unlock the DME and flash it, it's really game over for being able to flash to undetectable stock mode. That's just a risk you have to take if you want to jump in to the performance game.

On the piggyback front, I'm guessing it would take about 2% more effort on BMW's part to determine if there was a tune or not.

Based on that, if you're tuned, I wouldn't bother flashing back to stock or a stock performance map if taking your car in for service/warranty. The damage was already done.
Even with a piggyback they can see the tables have been changed and the boost was raised at certain rpms meaning there has been something adjusted. Point blank if they want to know they'll find out.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      02-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #196
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, thanks

Even with a piggyback they can see the tables have been changed and the boost was raised at certain rpms meaning there has been something adjusted. Point blank if they want to know they'll find out.
Tables aren't changed with a piggyback. Boost will also report as stock as the signal to the DME is interrupted by the piggyback. Other parameters will be altered though which is the telltale that there was a tune in place.
Appreciate 1
hdubf80143.50
      02-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #197
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome, thanks

Tables aren't changed with a piggyback. Boost will also report as stock as the signal to the DME is interrupted by the piggyback. Other parameters will be altered though which is the telltale that there was a tune in place.
Thank you for clarifying
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #198
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well.. if there really is a big tamper code that pops up after a flash where any general tech can see it I would say thats a lot easier than shipping the ECU/data off to BMW to find the JB4 traces. I do not believe any BMW dealer techs have the ability to get that deep into the ECU logs.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00