Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
mrfox
W33M W33M
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY18 F80 MW ZCP

Rear Mirror Mount for Valentine V1

Interested in mounting my V1 beneath the rear view mirror. Anyone tried one of these or something similar?

http://a.co/d3SqRCh

Is there a better alternative?

This one looks good but it's pricey.

https://store.blendmount.com/blendmo...ies-p1661.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mrfox; 09-04-2017 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
gori
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP Fully Loaded, MPE

I too am interested in this mounting.

Additionally, what's the best way to wire this into the car? have any thoughts on that? just starting to review all the threads as i just bought my F80.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #3
GasHead
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3M SMB

Garage List
2024 BMW X3 M  [0.00]
I love it mounted there, Check out some pics here.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1087897
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
mrfox
W33M W33M
United_States
Rep

Good call on the BlendMound, GasHead. I found that thread after the OP (newb move I know).

Planning to order the blend mount once I know which one I need. My F80 just boarded the boat.

For the wiring, I've picked up the Valentine "Savvy" adapter which appears to have a clean wire path to OBD II port for power. Others around here do the wire tap off the rear view mirror power.
      09-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Bite the bullet and get the BlendMount. The quality is great and isnt as plastic as a lot of the other competitors.

006 mount on the Max360

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Don't waste your money on the blendmount; it sticks out like a sore thumb and screams steal me, better yet it's very noticeable to law enforcement in its mounting location. The mounting hardware that comes with allows you to nest it high up on the windshield and tucked close to the mirror. Virtually hidden inside and out- most ppl get into my car and don't even realize I have the V1 installed and check their seat belts when it chirps for the first time. (pretty hilarious!)

I'll upload a photo from both angles tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
backagain345.00
      09-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
mrfox
W33M W33M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
Don't waste your money on the blendmount; it sticks out like a sore thumb and screams steal me, better yet it's very noticeable to law enforcement in its mounting location. The mounting hardware that comes with allows you to nest it high up on the windshield and tucked close to the mirror. Virtually hidden inside and out- most ppl get into my car and don't even realize I have the V1 installed and check their seat belts when it chirps for the first time. (pretty hilarious!)

Sweet, thanks. So I'm clear, you're suggesting using the mounting bracket that comes with the V1?
      09-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #8
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfox View Post
Quote:

Sweet, thanks. So I'm clear, you're suggesting using the mounting bracket that comes with the V1?
Yes!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Outside shots to come. I'm also tapped to the rain sensor which takes all of 5 minutes to do, even for novices.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
mrfox
W33M W33M
United_States
Rep

Thanks for these pics BoxKing ! Interested to see if the suction cups are noticeable from the outside.

Is there any perceived loss in range with the unit up so close to the headliner? Specifically to the rear. In doing some reading I learned that clear line of sight front and back provides maximum range (which is what got me to the idea of hanging off the mirror in the first place; for clear and unobstructed line of sight our the front and rear glass).

In NY radar detectors are legal for cars, so not worried about PO more so then I am about left while parking (although not worried about that much either). Do people report detectors getting stolen often?
      09-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfox View Post
Thanks for these pics BoxKing ! Interested to see if the suction cups are noticeable from the outside.

Is there any perceived loss in range with the unit up so close to the headliner? Specifically to the rear. In doing some reading I learned that clear line of sight front and back provides maximum range (which is what got me to the idea of hanging off the mirror in the first place; for clear and unobstructed line of sight our the front and rear glass).

In NY radar detectors are legal for cars, so not worried about PO more so then I am about left while parking (although not worried about that much either). Do people report detectors getting stolen often?
Sorry I got side tracked and didn't snap picks from the outside looking in. Basically the suction cups are camouflaged by the dots on the windshield where I mounted my V1. My line of sight to the rear is equal to, or greater than the Blendmount position.

As far as theft goes... would you hang $500 from your mirror...? Cops/Troopers are not fans of radar detectors, regardless of the legality; this is not much of a concern but you may see less leniency if you get pulled over with one dangling from your mirror like a disco ball.
Appreciate 1
mrfox148.00
      09-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Sorry I got side tracked and didn't snap picks from the outside looking in. Basically the suction cups are camouflaged by the dots on the windshield where I mounted my V1. My line of sight to the rear is equal to, or greater than the Blendmount position.

As far as theft goes... would you hang $500 from your mirror...? Cops/Troopers are not fans of radar detectors, regardless of the legality; this is not much of a concern but you may see less leniency if you get pulled over with one dangling from your mirror like a disco ball.
This.

Plus, you don't have anything below the mirror that could block your view.
Appreciate 0