Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #45
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
That makes sense. Polarization is all about rotation angle. I guess I will need to find a pair that has their polarization at 90 degrees off from my current pair.

Thanks for humoring me.

p.s. That was my first drive in a true M. My GOD!!! What have I been missing?!?!?!
Indeed it is about rotation angle, which is why a polar filter for cameras rotates. However, since the purpose of polarization in sunglass lenses is to counteract the predominant solar reflection mode which is light reflected from above the eye off of a horizontal surface, the most common of which are water and smooth roadway. These reflections yield light that is mostly polarized vertically.

So, there is almost no everyday purpose to a polarized pair of glasses with vertical polarization, as they would pass most refelected light that we want to eliminate. And, my suspicion is that the vast majority, if not all, of polarized sunglasses are horizontally polarized for this reason. The difference you might see in attenuation of light is, to my guess, probably due to the various levels of efficiency of polarization, as opposed to the rotation angle.

If you're curious whether your polar lenses which pass more of the HUD are simply aligned differently than others which don't, just rotate your head while looking at the HUD and observe the brightness. If the least bright passthrough is when your head is upright, then your glasses are the same as everyone else's. If it doesn't change at all, then you got ripped off for a pair of polarized shades.

In short, if you want sunglasses that don't interfere with the HUD, simply find yourself a high quality pair of NON-polarized sunglasses.

Cheers!

mjc
      09-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #46
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I have a pair of non-polarized Scheyden's that I used in the cockpit for a while. They are very good glasses and popular with pilots:

http://scheyden.com/

However, the absolute best glasses I have found are the brown lens RAVISION's that have been consistently using for several years now (Model RA-VG-1). Although I have a pair for flying, I also bought another pair to keep in my M6. They are EXTREMELY light (polycarbonate lenses) and have very thin wire ear frames (perfect for use with helmets or headsets):

http://www.ravisiongear.com/

When I went out to find the web site to post above, it looks like these glasses are on close-out. (I originally paid almost $300 a pair for these and now they have them for $99!) Maybe the company is going out of business. However, once I saw this, I just bought TWO more pair to keep in my M4 and X6M! (Had to get the order in BEFORE I posted this message since it looks like they are on close-out now!)
Thank you for the link. I recently purchased a pair of Nautical polarized from Amazon on sale. When they came in, I loved them UNTIL I drove my M3 and couldn't see my HUD I stumbled on this thread, said what the hey and ordered the Ra's which now have a permanent home in the M3. The Nauticas stay in the Z4MC now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #47
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

The RaVisions are great!

Super light, polycarbonate lenses (brown or grey), very thin/light wire frames, great optical quality. With the recent sale, I now have 4 pair! (One for each BMW and one for my Cirrus).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #48
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Polarized glasses that are HUD compatible?

Hello all!

No F80 yet until my lease is up, but my pair of 2 year old Costas has started shedding its rubber bits so
I need some new glasses. I've noticed that during my test drives with the Costas, and my Maui Jim's before them, that the polarization wipes the HUD almost completely out. How Cadillac manages to get around this is baffling but I digress.

Does anyone have polarized shades that actually work with the HUD? And by work, I mean hardly changes the look vs. "I can sorta read it with the brightness cranked to max"?

I love polarized shades, and down here in TX with the glare off the concrete good eye protection is essential. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #49
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Not that I know of but subscribing in case something comes up. Easy answer is no polarized lenses.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #50
VitaminTee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm wondering the same thing, I can't see my HUD at all in my F80.

If I had to guess Cadillac gets around this orienting the HUD display differently. If you turn your head 90 degrees in the F80, you can see the HUD just fine, LOL! You'll notice the same thing if you look at any other LCD with polarized glasses on. Anyways, seems like a miss by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #51
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Have been a few threads on this - here is one that I think recommends Oakley's (vs Ray Bans that won't work at all - have not read the whole thread though!)

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1156712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Hello all!

I love polarized shades, and down here in TX with the glare off the concrete good eye protection is essential. Any suggestions?
      10-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #52
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I picked up a nice pair from Persol while on vacation in August (during which older Ray Bans broke). I like them a lot. They are non-polarized so they work well with HUD.
      10-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #53
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

I have Oakley Eye Jackets polarized sun glasses and can confirm they 100% work with the HUD. The HUD stays just about as bright as when I'm not wearing them.

Last edited by Bmwguy11; 10-18-2015 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #54
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Polarized has never worked with the HUD. Just buy a pair of non polarized for driving. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #55
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Polarized has never worked with the HUD. Just buy a pair of non polarized for driving. Problem solved.
Why do mine work then? Seems like a few members have stated that their oakleys or raybans work fine. I don't know jack about polarization and whatnot so I'm all ears.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #56
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11
Quote:
Why do mine work then? Seems like a few members have stated that their oakleys or raybans work fine. I don't know jack about polarization and whatnot so I'm all ears.
I have 2 pairs of Ray Bans - one polarized and one not. I can't see the HUD nearly as well with the polarized pair. Not all Ray Bans are polarized.
      10-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #57
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say that your glasses are not polarized. I'm not a sunglasses whore, but I've never had a pair of polarized that worked with the HUD. That goes back to the 2007 X5 that was the wife's car, believe that was the first car I owned that had it. Have had 4 others since, and same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #58
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Serengeti makes non-polarized glasses for pilots and they are awesome. Dark in normal conditions, darker in bright conditions. Photocromic is great. I have them in drivers and 555nm. Drivers exaggerate detail, 555nm are neutral. Both are Granada frames.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/serengeti-sunglasses.html
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #59
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say that your glasses are not polarized. I'm not a sunglasses whore, but I've never had a pair of polarized that worked with the HUD. That goes back to the 2007 X5 that was the wife's car, believe that was the first car I owned that had it. Have had 4 others since, and same thing.
I use them to see in the water when I go fishing so I guess I assumed they are. Could they just be really good at filtering light then? I admit I don't know much about sunglasses so I don't know about the light filtering technologies they use.

Edit: they are polarized. The word polarized is even etched onto the front of the left lense.

Edit2: tested them in the car. They make the HUD quite dim compared to not having them on. If I turn them sideways the HUD looks normal. So they are vertically polarized but must not block 100% of that light?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #60
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Because in my experience, polarized offer superior protection from glare.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #61
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Serengeti makes non-polarized glasses for pilots and they are awesome. Dark in normal conditions, darker in bright conditions. Photocromic is great. I have them in drivers and 555nm. Drivers exaggerate detail, 555nm are neutral. Both are Granada frames.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/serengeti-sunglasses.html
Thanks for this. How's the glare reduction? The glare off the concrete here can only be understood if you live in the south with concrete roads and parking lots.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #62
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

It had to do with orientation. As another poster mentioned, turn 90% and you will see it come up.
There is a standard "most" LCD type displays follow. Go to the gas station with the glasses on and you will notice what I mean. Especially if older. Some displays are oriented correctly to convention others not.
Look at the nav. Does it go away if you rotate 90%? If the nav goes dim but the HUD goes bright then someone at BMW really wasn't paying attention to LCD polarization & orientation when they designed the displays.
Remember polarized glasses are designed to eliminate reflected light on surfaces. Guess how a HUD works... Reflected light... So some may say the glasses are working as designed. I say BMW should have reoriented the display correct to work with polarized glasses. (Note: some polarized displays are turned 90% on purpose)
Also some rarely rotate displays or glasses 45% to get around inconsistencies.
I don't have my m3 just yet so I can't verify for sure (stuck in quality for 2 weeks now????) but if the NAV and HUD operate on different polarization then BMW:Total "FAIL" in my design book..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #63
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ You can rotate the HUD but it doesn't do much to make the display work better with polarized. It looks much better with non-polarized sunglasses than polarized. Results may differ with different sunglasses, but overall it is best to buy non-polarized if shopping for new shades if you have HUD.

This issue isn't unique to BMW or even to HUDs. Some infotainment screens also have issues with polarized sunglasses. There was an article about it in Road & Track about it a while back.
      10-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #64
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

I have a pair of Ray Bans that have no issues with the HUD but I don't think they're polarized. Isn't the windscreen polarized anyway?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #65
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
I've had polarized Oakley, Revos and Maui Jim's.. all of them affected my view of the HUD.. Recently got prescription polarized Maui Jim's and can see the HUD fine (not as clear as without, but usable). Not sure if they're circular polarized or what.. but much improved. Just an FYI.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #66
Mud8541
Itchy Right Foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

Interesting info...

I'll post an abbreviated version of what I stated in another thread on this topic.

I have a pair of polarized Maui Jims. I turned in a US 2014 535d with HUD last week. I could see that HUD just fine with my Maui Jims on.

I bought a lightly used US 2014 535d that day (couldn't give up the diesel).

Same Maui Jims. HUD gone.

I suspect that if you could peel off the little overlay on the HUD area of the windshield, rotate it 90 degrees, and stick it back on, our prob would be solved.

PS: Using the HUD rotation setting has no effect for me.
Appreciate 0