European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

My 4500 Mile European Delivery Journal- F80 BSM M3

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Background on vehicle purchase:

It all started back in December of last year, as more and more details became available in regards to the F80 I knew more and more that this was the vehicle I wanted in the garage. Around March the allocations rolled in, and was able to configure the vehicle to my exact specifications. As my build order was accepted by BMW I set the date for ED pickup on 8/15/14.

As far as the options selected on the vehicle I kept it very basic. Car comes with most of the gadgets anyone really needs plus I was hoping to keep the vehicle weight down as much as possible.

2015 F80 BMW M3
6 Speed Manual
Black Sapphire Metallic paint
Extended Sakhir Orange interior
Enhanced Bluetooth
Harman Kardon Sound

I would like to thank Charles Scott at BMW North Scottsdale for the flawless arrangement of this Euro Delivery. This happened to be my first brand new vehicle purchase so I was a bit nervous, but Charles made the purchase painless, and was constantly keeping me in the loop as to where BMW was in regards to allocations and news on the F80. Not only was the process easy and smooth but also remained that way through the entire trip. Any members in Arizona don’t hesitate to contact him if interest in ever purchasing a BMW.
Charlie Scott
Sales & Leasing Consultant
BMW North Scottsdale
480-538-3989 direct
www.bmwnorthscottsdale.com
Charles.scott@penskeautomotive.com

Lets fast forward to last month when I departed to Munich to begin the incredible nearly month long journey across Europe. This is the first time I have done European delivery on a vehicle. I cannot think of a better way for an individual to get better acquainted with their new M car than doing the process for ED. If you have the opportunity to do ED I highly recommend it. Any future M cars will be purchased through the ED program.

Planning:

Unfortunately there were no decent flights from Phoenix to Munich, either was too long of a journey or the price was just ridiculous. I left Phoenix in the morning 8/15/14 and took the short flight to Los Angeles. Was able to use my credit card rewards points for this leg of the flight since it was such a short trip. Found a great trip from LA to Munich through Air Berlin. Air Berlin provided a very enjoyable flight, and staff on flight were all great.

I spoke with my brother who lives in Vienna Austria as well as Sibiu Romania, and began planning the journey with him. Essentially the plan was to arrive in Munich, and from that point head to Romania to pick him up to begin the journey across Europe.

Here is a rough map of the journey over the month long period. There were stops along small villages throughout the journey but this will give you a general idea of the trip layout. Returned the vehicle with over 4 thousand miles.

The Trip:

Departure from Phoenix, AZ to Los Angeles. 8/15/2014

Munich:

I arrived in Munich on the 16th in the late afternoon. Luckily one of my cousin’s lives in Munich so was able to stay there for two nights. This was my second trip to Europe so I experienced previously how badly the jet lag affects me. Therefore I set the delivery day for that Friday the 18th so I would not be tired during the delivery and the long driving portion to Romania.

From my cousins apartment, just a short walk to the city center. Inside the center of the building plus balcony area. Never had seen a garage like this, automated machines that move your vehicle between you and your neighbors vehicle.

Guess its mandatory to have a big beer immediately when arriving in Bavaria according to my cousin :lolhit: needless to say I wasn’t complaining.

Here are some pictures as I discovered Munich for two days before the delivery date.

Some incredible desserts, came back here twice before I left to get a few more.

In the evening my cousin took me to a beer garden. Never had been to one previously and must say it was a pretty cool experience. Mostly just a social scene of people enjoying some of Bavaria’s finest brews and chatting it up. Plus one of me having one too many that evening.

Few pictures of the old cathedrals in the city center. The intricate detail in some of these places especially considering how old they are is just simply breathtaking.

While walking around the city center happened to stumble across a MB dealership that had a F1 car in the display area.

Delivery day:
The night before delivery had to have a few more tall beers to calm my nerves and help me sleep. Needless to say I still struggled to fall asleep from the excitement of tomorrow being the big day. The pick up date was scheduled for 10:10 am with a check in not later than 9 am. As I couldn’t sleep I fell asleep I arrived at Welt a hour early and explored.

Getting the boring paperwork aspect out of the way as quick as I can. BMW made this process quite simple, just sign a few papers and if you have any questions they are more than happy to sign them, thereafter enjoy the premium lounge before the delivery.

First view of her from the premium lounge!

Enough waiting now, time to get down to the floor.

After delivery the vehicle was left with valet, took a short walk across the street to the museum. Didn’t have enough time to get a picture of every single vehicle, but managed to get most of the ones that stood out. Must say BMW did a great job on all aspects of the museum, whether it is the layout and organization, or the vehicles displayed themselves.

Romania & Austria
Once I had finished up with the museum at Welt, it was time to grab the car and head to Sibiu Romania to pick up my brother. Sorry I didn’t happen to capture many pictures during this leg of the journey, once the vehicle was in Romania it was garaged for 90% of the time as I didn’t feel fully comfortable with it being outdoors.

First fill up just outside of Vienna as I was near the Hungarian border. As pricey as the gas is in Europe, 100 octane though

As soon as I arrived at my brothers home in the early morning gave the car a quick wash, roads were very bad in some portions as not every kilometer was autostrada. And a few pictures of Romania.

After 10 days in Romania, we packed up and headed to Vienna. Was raining heavily during entire stay which made it difficult to see the city. This is where the 1200-mile service was scheduled as well. Unfortunately was only there for two nights so was not able to see everything the city had to offer.

Break in service stop at BMW Wien. Was a very large dealership for being in Europe, and overall very pleasant to be at. They happened to have a M4 on show room floor. Price was $124,000 Euros, almost had a heart attack when I saw that.

Croatia:
After the break in service had been completed on the last day of Austria, we got on the autobahn and made our way to Pula Croatia. This was by far one of my favorite stops along the way. Stayed at Park Plaza Resort right next to the beach for 5 nights.

Here are a few pictures of the M and of the resort.

Italy:

Rome:
After the stay in Croatia we were off to Rome, Italy. I was not originally planning to visit Rome, as this being the last major city that I had yet to see in Europe it was only time to finally make the stop. This city made me nervous to bring the brand new M3 too. Fortunately we were able to find a hotel just outside of the city center that offered free private parking. I was simply fascinated with Rome, the culture, food, architecture, etc. Simply everything about the city was fascinating and am glad I made the trip down there.

Lake Como/Milan:
This was by far my favorite portion of the trip. Lake Como is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Temperature is perfect in this region during summer, was a cool 75 degrees entire three nights we were there.
Leaving Rome and entering the mountainous regions had the opportunity to chase this around for a few hours

Stopped in Portofino Italy for the day. Amazing small town on the coast in Italy. Not sure if there was a event that weekend, but many million dollar yachts in port and along the coast that week.

Final days:
At this point we were beginning to be tired of constantly moving and driving across Europe. After leaving Portofino we began our journey towards Germany. We at this point made the trip to the Ring. Unfortunately I arrived late that day so didn’t have much time other than to get 4 laps in then head on my way back to Munich for final drop off. It had been a dream of mine for many years to one day drive on the ring, this time it being with my own vehicle was the icing on the cake. The course kept me on my toes and alert every second, whether it be from the blind crests, uphill passes, or open straightaways. On the laps I decided not to let my ego/adrenaline get the best of me, I pushed the car but well within the safe limits didn’t want to turn this incredible trip to disaster on my last day.

Here are the few pictures I collected while at the ring.

Final wash & Drop off at Munich International. Now here is the long two month wait till the vehicle reaches the states :banghead:

Driving impressions:
I ended my European Delivery with just barely over 4500 miles so I thought I would give my brief opinion on aspects of the vehicle.

Engine & Power: Before driving one I would say that this was where I was most worried about the new M3. I can truly say that this engine is a piece of art. The power that the vehicle delivers is just truly mind-boggling. With the power delivery being quite linear for a turbo vehicle it creates very little to no turbo lag sensation. The engine sound is actually phenomenal under load. I found myself opening the windows and just listening to the various sounds as I went through the gears.

Steering & Handling: Many of us have argued over the hydraulic vs. electric power steering. While I can say that it this is a great EPS unit, it is not identical to that of a hydraulic unit. The EPS is good at relaying the road conditions to the steering wheel, but it is not a hydraulic unit where you feel every single little crack. The EPS steering is responsive and intuitive. The vehicle dives into corners nicely under throttle and is predictable under acceleration on exits. One thing that did annoy me though, the turning radius on the car is beyond terrible. Trying to turn around in Europe with this was a challenge a few times. As far as handling goes this generation feels significantly lighter on its feet in turns, and the level of grip was amazing. The vehicle feels very planted at all times and displays tons of grip, no matter what you are throwing at it.

Transmission: Since my vehicle is equipped with the 6 speed transmission I must say it is a great one at that. BMW after so many years has finally listened and fixed the notch feeling and long clutch pedal travel that plagued previous generation M cars. The shifts are perfect length and very precise as that. Must say it is one of my favorite parts of the vehicle.

Interior: Nothing to really say here but it is great all around.

Wish i could of taken more pictures of the vehicle but unfortunately i was exploring the cities the vehicle remained in the garage. Thanks for reading the thread guys and if you have any questions in regards to the vehicle feel free to ask

Last edited by ///M Dream; 08-21-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
bmoneystatus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Wow amazing trip. I'm currently starting to plan for the same next year. Might have to get some specifics on hotels, etc. if you don't mind.

Regardless, congrats on the trip and the car! Now the wait begins to get it back on US soil!

Also, thanks for the dealer information. I went to ASU so I have no problem picking up in Scottsdale, visiting friends, and making the short road trip to San Diego if the service and the price is right!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Epic, makes me really want to do the EU, thank you for sharing
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Charles@Gintani.com
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Euro Delivery threads are always the best ones! Congrats on your new car and thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

That's just awesome and just what I needed. I've been trying to get the wife excited about this so I made her look at all the pictures. She's fully on board now with the ED trip and excited as much as I am.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that and congrats !!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Thank you for sharing! Enjoy your M3
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Autocouture View Post
Epic, makes me really want to do the EU, thank you for sharing
No you don't, you suck...
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Dude your trip is a dream trip for me. Unfortunately I won't be buying another M car for years, so I won't likely be able to do this anytime soon. Then again, maybe I can trade in our Touareg for an X5 and do it? Hmmmm... there's an idea!!
      08-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Lynchmob6
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO/SO F80 & 135 M-Sport

Garage List
Great trip, pictures and write up…thanks for sharing and congratulations!
///M3 SO/SO / MT / 19" Black Alloys / Executive Pkg. / Lighting Pkg. / Adaptive Suspension / Enhanced USB / HK / Full Front XPEL / 35 Tint / MODS: Custom painted engine cover and grill surrounds, Pedal Haus Kit, M-Performance Alcantara shifter/boot & e-brake boot, carbon e-brake handle, wrapped seat shells/rear headrests, M-Performance Spoiler with CRT Stripe.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Nice read. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
NOcastillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Thank you for sharing a wonderful experience
This has motivated me to do this sometime next year, although not for a month but it will be a great experience...
What tips do you recommend while in Italy?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
No you don't, you suck...
i was going to ask you to come.....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Autocouture View Post
i was going to ask you to come.....
liarrrrrrrrrrr
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing.
yes! i just booked your ticket
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Congratulations, what a great trip.

Hopefully will be doing the same next year.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

That really looks like an amazing trip. Seems like you had fun. I went to Rome a few years back and didn't like it as much as Munich. Overall great write up
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Thank you everyone for the great comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoneystatus View Post
Wow amazing trip. I'm currently starting to plan for the same next year. Might have to get some specifics on hotels, etc. if you don't mind.

Regardless, congrats on the trip and the car! Now the wait begins to get it back on US soil!

Also, thanks for the dealer information. I went to ASU so I have no problem picking up in Scottsdale, visiting friends, and making the short road trip to San Diego if the service and the price is right!
Sure thing as your trip gets closer shoot me a PM and id be more than happy to give you some tips on where to stay in certain places. And not a problem at all give them a call and see if theres anything they can help you out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
That's just awesome and just what I needed. I've been trying to get the wife excited about this so I made her look at all the pictures. She's fully on board now with the ED trip and excited as much as I am.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that and congrats !!!
Haha glad i could help man :thump:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
Dude your trip is a dream trip for me. Unfortunately I won't be buying another M car for years, so I won't likely be able to do this anytime soon. Then again, maybe I can trade in our Touareg for an X5 and do it? Hmmmm... there's an idea!!
Ive been thinking of ways to do ED again and i just got back. Its truly a great experience. Plus with X5 you can get even better ED pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOcastillo View Post
Thank you for sharing a wonderful experience
This has motivated me to do this sometime next year, although not for a month but it will be a great experience...
What tips do you recommend while in Italy?
Depends on what you would like to see. Italy is so vast and different from the northern end to the southern. What i would recommend to anybody is seeing Lake Como, the region is magnificent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
That really looks like an amazing trip. Seems like you had fun. I went to Rome a few years back and didn't like it as much as Munich. Overall great write up
Thank you, and i agree with you. Out of the places that left the best impression on me it was Munich. City is so clean and organized it makes you feel right at home. Rome i had never seen so was nice to get out and see all the ruins and monuments.
      08-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #19
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Nice! Finally someone visited beautiful Croatia while doing ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
haynstyleM2
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Fantastic read. Thank you for taking the time and sharing all your pics and thoughts. I definitely have to do this one day. Enjoy the ride and take it easy!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

very very cool, congrats!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #22
M4LF
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Thank you for this amazing post!! I'm thinking about doing this next summer and you just got me really excited. I've only been to London, Paris, and Amsterdam. One of my worse fear is going to countries where they don't speak English. I would love to visit at least Germany and Italy. Will definitely look you up when I'm close to traveling.
Appreciate 0