proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I ended up painting my AW 1M bumper twice due to rock chips. This time around I'd like to protect the paint a bit better because I'm most likely going with MW and to match that paint with a respray might be more difficult.

Having said that, I've been reading up on Opti-Coat. Does anyone here have personal experience with the product and does it hold up against rock chips? The other option would be going with the 3M film but I would like to avoid this due to the visible lines it typically shows.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

No personal experience yet, but I used to be a bit into detailing. In a few weeks, I'm going to opti-coat one of my cars after I get a minor dent removed.

It's been around for years, but has semi-recently (last few years, IIRC) been released to the general public in a 2.0 version you can do yourself. For low maintenance, it seems to be pretty good. For paint protection against rock chips, I'd venture a guess that it's non-existent. Basically, it's a sealant, which doesn't protect against rock chips. The only thing to do is a PPF (Clear Bra). I do a lot of freeway driving, and I'm planning on getting a clear bra. Even the clear bra most likely will not completely protect the bumper, but I'm guessing it will help a LOT. I'm just debating whether I will do just the front fascia, or include the entire hood and fenders to reduce the visible lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Opti-Coat will do basically nothing for protection against rock chips.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Two threads for you.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=clear+bra

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954440
      03-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Well that settles it, I'll go with one layer of Opti-coat 2.0 and install a clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

Clear bra is such a eye sore for me. I'd rather have the rock chips than have that shit caked onto my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

It's car, It won't stay 100% perfect and only you will see the rock chips!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
ShePearl
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 & F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55
Clear bra is such a eye sore for me. I'd rather have the rock chips than have that shit caked onto my car.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I have opticoat on the X3. Car stays cleaner. It does nothing for stone chips. Still possible for encrusted road salt to be ground into the paint/through the coating (don't ask how I know)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

A hair thin layer of acrylic isn't going to stop a pebble slamming into your vehicle at 75mph from connecting with the paint.

However, it can reduce the incidence of rock chips a small amount - just like an extra thick clearcoat layer can protect paint better.

The only way to truly protect is a thick layer like a clear bra that can absorb and take the damage instead. I personally have found many modern clear bra applications, done right and not treated incorrectly, to look fine. Just me though.

In my next of the woods, rock chips accumulate fast. I see people with 25k miles on their e90 m3s claiming "just 1-2 rock chips" and I wonder where the heck they have been driving. An accumulation rate of 4-8 rock chips per 100k miles is a pipe dream around here....re-painting bumpers and hoods every 75k miles due to rock chips is more likely.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
To each his own.

There's JZB paint with clear bra and non-clear bra in this pic.

03-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Problem with clear bra is, once you get a chip, it looks worse than a paint chip, IMO.

It also cost at least $1,000 depending on how much you cover.
I can get the bumper resprayed for $300.
You guys must be following cars closely to get all these chips.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Problem with clear bra is, once you get a chip, it looks worse than a paint chip, IMO.

It also cost at least $1,000 depending on how much you cover.
I can get the bumper resprayed for $300.
You guys must be following cars closely to get all these chips.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #14
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
The clear bra, and other paint protectant films on the market, sound good in theory, but I haven't seen their worth proven in reality, at least not yet. As some of other posters on this thread have noted, it is quite expensive to get the stuff applied. Once it is applied, you will have other visual indicators from rock impacts. As well, I've heard a lot of people complain about discoloration that occurs on the edges of the clear bra because of wax/soap buildup. And the stuff only lasts for so long before it needs to be stripped and reapplied.

This stuff is still relatively new...once it has developed some sort of track record and the price comes down, I think it could be worth it. But as of now, you are much better off saving your money and doing a repaint if the rock chips get that bad.

The other thing to remember is...it's a car!!! It won't stay perfect forever. Drive it! Enjoy it! Maintain it as best you can but there is no point in fretting over every pothole and every rock chip.

Last edited by Patronus86; 03-30-2014 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Flying Brick
Private
Rep
Drives: m

I have put clear bra on my last 2 cars. There are different type of clear bra materials you can get. The more you pay the better the stuff gets. I usually do the whole hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. Even though I can get my cars painted for free because family friends own a auto-body. I still spend the money to protect the original factory paint. After market paints and primers are never as strong as the original factory paint which will chip of easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

I had a clear bra on my 2008 M3, did a really good job against rock chips. You could see little plastic indentations in the bra where the rock chips hit.

I would highly recommend it if that is your concern. I agree with the point that the paint will wear unevenly under the clear bra, which gives a two tone effect if you try to take it off later.

Just keep in mind, my detailer made multiple small holes and rips in it with his power washer, because he was too close. Be really careful washing the clear bra, it requires some mild extra care and diligence.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Also keep in mind clear bra is only suppose to stay on for 3-4 years. Any longer, and it becomes hard and brittle and you have to chip it off in little pieces the size of a pencil eraser.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Given how little steel there is in front end of the car it's less of a concern for me. Especially when you think about how much plastic and aluminum there is no concern about rust from the rock chips.

I'm definitely not concerned and strongly dislike the look of clear bras ( on cars any way, LOL)
      03-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

God you guys are babies. Must never take your cars to the track. Try having in Corvette with stickies throwing rocks at your M. You guys should buy a A4 would be a better fit. I mean rock chips? Who cares? Think anyone from 10-15 feet away in another car is gonna see the stupid rock chip that is driving your OCD crazy? I could think of so many better thing to blow 1000 bucks on this car. Clear Bra is like putting dust covers on your sofa. Stupid and pointless. Like anything you use daily a pair of shoes, your sofa, iphone. It is going to get some wear live with it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:43 AM   #20
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
God you guys are babies. Must never take your cars to the track. Try having in Corvette with stickies throwing rocks at your M. You guys should buy a A4 would be a better fit. I mean rock chips? Who cares? Think anyone from 10-15 feet away in another car is gonna see the stupid rock chip that is driving your OCD crazy? I could think of so many better thing to blow 1000 bucks on this car. Clear Bra is like putting dust covers on your sofa. Stupid and pointless. Like anything you use daily a pair of shoes, your sofa, iphone. It is going to get some wear live with it!!
Amen Tony!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #21
Flying Brick
Private
Rep
Drives: m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
I dont think it has anything to do with babies, actually if I recall it is the babies who don't take care of there belonging because they do not see the value of things. Even on my full out track cars I do as much as I can to protect the car because in the end it is me who has to pay for any repairs. Plus " Actions speak louder than words, and how a person takes care of their car, says a lot about the person, then the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Same people that get clear bras get their car washed at the dealer and cheap hand washes. I've watched both drop towels and continue to dry. Swirl marks galore. Funny that people need a clear bra get there car washed anywhere. The baby reference was to the whining. I respect my car but rock chips are a part of any car. You could have a sick arsenal of detailing supplies and a nice orbital for under 1000$ and your car would look better than any car with a clear bra that is not washed properly.
Appreciate 0