Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Sorry if this has been covered, ive used search but keep getting American threads which are not really helpful due to lack of supply.

I've got a trackday booked at cadwell park in 3 weeks but after my massive brake issues at Bedford last year I want to get them sorted first.

I've ordered motul 600 fluid so that's that sorted. I'm now considering pads. The only thing I can find is ebc yellow stuff for the F8X. Really mixed reviews online so I'm not really sold. Also I can't be bothered to swop pads back and fourth so want something that's not hugely squeaky on the road.
My oem pads are at 50% so I'll still keep those to swop back if the track pads are unbearable for the daily commute.

I also don't want to knacker my discs super quickly and although track pads will wear them faster I hear some are more rotor friendly than others.

But all this is kind of irrelevant if the only option is yellow stuff as it's that or oem.

So has anyone firstly actually fitted yellow stuff and can comment on wear, performance (on track and road) or suggest any alternatives available to the uk market.

Oh and reduced dust would be nice but performance more relevant to me.

Thanks in advance for any input
      04-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

as there were no replies to the first post i thought id update this.

I fitted EBC yellowstuff 2 weeks ago. they are fantastic in comparison to OEM. Daily driving cold bite is fine (not noticably worse than OEM) and once warmed up they stop HARD.

the trackday at cadwell park went well, fluid held up nicely, no issues at the pedal even after 15 lap sessions. pads didnt fade at all either and the stopping power in track conditions is tremendous.

All together a good buy and at half the price of OEM pads ill be running these full time.

they also dust less than OEM which is an added bonus.
Ade_7314.00
      04-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Thanks for the update and glad you liked them.
      04-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

Question re the Yellow Stuffs?

Is there any more noise from them vs OEM?

And ... are there any issues with wear sensors etc - ie can I just order them and get a local garage to fit them without any other complications??

Cheers,

Richard.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 02:30 AM   #5
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4
Question re the Yellow Stuffs?

Is there any more noise from them vs OEM?

And ... are there any issues with wear sensors etc - ie can I just order them and get a local garage to fit them without any other complications??

Cheers,

Richard.
They don't make any noise at all after break in. Also the oem drone when you've been pressing on and the pads are hot seems to have disappeared. I've done about 700 miles so far including 150 on track and all is good. I'll update this thread as I clock up the miles as it's still early days but so far so good.

They have the sensor cutouts so no change from oem in that respect sensors just swop over.
I did exactly that, took to local garage, £40 cash in the back pocket and fitted in an hour.
Ade_7314.00
      04-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #6
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Okay thanks - very tempting vs the M Performance options that will likely end up taking 750 quid plus from me!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 03:16 AM   #7
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
Okay thanks - very tempting vs the M Performance options that will likely end up taking 750 quid plus from me!!
I may be wrong but I think bmw will only fit mp pads if you also change discs. Unless you just buy the part and fit yourself or at a local garage of course.

For the price difference I would give the yellows a go and see what you think. The set front and back were around £270 I think (eBay)
      04-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

What's the part number for the rear? Looks like DP42130R on the front but can't find the yellowstuff part for the rear calipers.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What's the part number for the rear? Looks like DP42130R on the front but can't find the yellowstuff part for the rear calipers.

Cheers.
Sorry just seen your reply. I'll check in the morning I've still got the box in the office with the part number on the side
      04-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #10
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
Quote:

Cheers.
Sorry just seen your reply. I'll check in the morning I've still got the box in the office with the part number on the side
Fronts are DP42133R
Rears are DP42130R

Or it could be the other way around but those are 100% the front and rear part numbers. The box's don't actually say which is which but one box was for the fronts and the other the rears but as they are no longer in the box I can't tell which is which lol
      04-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

How easy is it to fit them, any problems with the sensors?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
How easy is it to fit them, any problems with the sensors?
Simple. Passed £40 to a local garage and they appeared on the car

However after watching some YouTube videos I think it's pretty simple. The sensor just pops off the old pads and onto the new ones. Although not actually done it myself.
      08-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #13
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 2018

Try the Pagid RS29's all round. Unbelievable stopping power, if you can handle the clunking of the pads in the callipers when reversing and also the squeal, which is the worst I've ever known. But braking power is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

A consideration for me was the legality of running pads on the road. In the UK I believe pads need to be ECE90 compliant which most track pads are not. This is why I got Yellostuffs because they are ... even if they are not as good as others. They cope with the heat, don't melt and don't fade which was my main requirement .. plus are road legal. They do however wear out quickly and apparently create a lot of dust ... as downsides. Also pedal feel isn't great when hot but they still stop the car which is the main thing!

For one I'm not prepared to take the uninsured risk running illegal pads on the road ... hence was a good compromise for me without the need to switch pads back and forth at the track and/or take the car on a trailer!

R.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 2018

Good point.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
amarxyz
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 UAV View Post
Try the Pagid RS29's all round. Unbelievable stopping power, if you can handle the clunking of the pads in the callipers when reversing and also the squeal, which is the worst I've ever known. But braking power is awesome.
+1. Awesome stopping power and great pads for track. I just swap them over the night before a trackday. Takes about 45 mins with basic tools.

I tried DS2500 front pads for the road but they bite instantly and there's not much modulation so ends up being jerky if you're not very gentle with the brakes.

Also going to try braided lines and Castrol SRF fluid next as I notice some brake fade after a few laps.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #17
amarxyz
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
A consideration for me was the legality of running pads on the road. In the UK I believe pads need to be ECE90 compliant which most track pads are not. This is why I got Yellostuffs because they are ... even if they are not as good as others. They cope with the heat, don't melt and don't fade which was my main requirement .. plus are road legal. They do however wear out quickly and apparently create a lot of dust ... as downsides. Also pedal feel isn't great when hot but they still stop the car which is the main thing!

For one I'm not prepared to take the uninsured risk running illegal pads on the road ... hence was a good compromise for me without the need to switch pads back and forth at the track and/or take the car on a trailer!

R.
I feel there's more chance of an accident on track(there's loads of people pushing their limits in cars which cost a fraction of the M4) which won't be covered by insurance at all, in comparison to them finding out you're running non compliant pads on the street after a road accident and invalidating your claim!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 02:14 AM   #18
C2VNY
Monster unit
Rep
Drives: Monster spec tme sold

I've been using pagids rs19/29 for awhile and love them but after trying endless ME20's these are a different level, really flipping good!

GT4 - AKRA EVO - RECARO - AP RACING -

KW CLUB-SPORTS - VOLKS
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #19
V8MBO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335D

Where is the best place to get Endless ME20's please?

I am needing a brake upgrade as well : )
Appreciate 0