R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
m4AY
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5m, 2005 x5 4.8is

213B01 Code. Battery failure after storage

Any one have this code? 2015 m4. Stored in a heated garage for almost 3 months. Had to boost to start but now it's saying replace battery. It's a lithium ion battery and $2090 Canadian from the dealer. It's my fault because I didn't have the lithium charger on it.

I had to get my big 80k service done and had them check out the battery situation. All they said was found fault codes and lack of charge from winter storage. I said these lithium batteries are suppose to last forever. Joking. He replied with it's an M. And its 3 years old with 80k.

So if your storing your M, use a lithium charger.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5392.50
      04-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
JayZap16
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, Merc GLE 63s, F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4AY View Post
Any one have this code? 2015 m4. Stored in a heated garage for almost 3 months. Had to boost to start but now it's saying replace battery. It's a lithium ion battery and $2090 Canadian from the dealer. It's my fault because I didn't have the lithium charger on it.

I had to get my big 80k service done and had them check out the battery situation. All they said was found fault codes and lack of charge from winter storage. I said these lithium batteries are suppose to last forever. Joking. He replied with it's an M. And its 3 years old with 80k.

So if your storing your M, use a lithium charger.
Is that 80k in miles or in kilometers?.

If its kilometers, I would not find that comment amusing from the tech or SA, whoever that was. You should have corrected him and said, "it is ONLY 3 years old and has ONLY 80k"

Did they just clear the codes or did you have to replace the battery?
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2048.00
      04-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
m4AY
Private
Canada
Rep

Yeah it's a 2015 with 78000kms. So I'm out of warranty very soon. The 80k service was just done which is good. But never got word if anything is leaking or starting to leak. Just not what I expected for service.

But yeah basically "it's an M" which means parts should be expensive and "it's a 15 with 80k" so it's old. Fine by me, I'm keeping this car forever.

I talked to the service manager and he was disappointed with my service and a discount on the battery but it's not covered regardless. He did say the shop foreman said my battery is charging and seems to be ok. And the light might go away.

So spend $2000 on something that might go away? I'll take my chances for now. And yes the cleared the code and tried to do a reset but nothing work. Not %100 sure, I didn't really get an explanation of what the tech did.

Anyone with this issue. Get a lithium charger when parking your vehicle for periods of time or only doing short drives.
Appreciate 1
JayZap16104.50
      04-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Did you disconnect the battery during storage or was it still hooked up to the car? If it was still hooked up was the car locked/ alarm set?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
m4AY
Private
Canada
Rep

Yes car locked and alarm set. Heated basement/garage. Car covered. I had to move it around a month into storage. So maybe that short start up and shut down did something. After that it sat for 2 months and that's when it had to be boosted and the battery problem started
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4AY View Post
Yes car locked and alarm set. Heated basement/garage. Car covered. I had to move it around a month into storage. So maybe that short start up and shut down did something. After that it sat for 2 months and that's when it had to be boosted and the battery problem started
Now the truth came out.
The issue is locked car where the fob is within range will keep waking up the electronics, in case driver touch the door handle for example to quickly unlock.
This drains battery. if the car is in the covered garage no need to lock it. It happens since the beginning of BMW comfort access introduced.
Or keep the key fobs out of range, or put the batt on charger while in storage.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
m4AY
Private
Canada
Rep

Actually both key fobs were with me at my house in a different part of the city. Car was parked definelty out of range from the fobs. I didn't know this was a special battery as it's my first m4. But like I mentioned before. Get a lithium charger on your battery when storing.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 01:20 AM   #8
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Actually it was probably the act of having the alarm set. When storing a car for long periods I always disconnect the battery on any car. Just fired up one of my rides a couple of weeks ago after being stored for a year. Was concerned cause its a small car audio battery but I had it disconnected. No problems. Also low fuel and some stabilizer are something I also recommend doing for long storage.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Mine goes on the charger if I expect not to use it for 3 days or more. From delivery until now, neither dealership that I use has mentioned the nature of this battery or it's requirements. No one I have spoken to was advised of the nature of this battery either, and certainly not what it costs to replace it. Also, no one from BMW has ever mentioned the need for lithium specific charger. One is forced to speculate as to the reason for this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #10
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
Mine goes on the charger if I expect not to use it for 3 days or more. From delivery until now, neither dealership that I use has mentioned the nature of this battery or it's requirements. No one I have spoken to was advised of the nature of this battery either, and certainly not what it cost to replace it. Also, no one from BMW has ever mentioned the need for lithium specific charger. One is forced to speculate as to the reason for this.
I agree that it’s odd that BMW doesn’t seem to provide much of any info around the battery in our cars. The owner’s manual doesn’t even mention that it has a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery and only talks about using “compatible” batteries and chargers...

Having said that, I’d never use a conventional charger on our batteries. If you’re lucky it simply won’t charge the battery. However, it could also damage your battery and you’d face having to buy a $2,000 replacement...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Well, I certainly agree with all that above, but the only reason I knew about the battery is that I opened the trunk, pulled the panel door and looked at the battery on day three of ownership. Ordered the correct charger the next day, because the dealer didn't have any in stock. Called my brother whose M4 at that point was 20 months old, and he had no idea what was in the trunk. Have to say, there's a lot dealers don't tell us about these cars that I really think they should, like the relationship between the groundspeed limitation and the orange juice they put in the diffs prior to the 1200 mile service. This borders on the sort of nonchalance you'd expect to find at a Kia dealer.
Appreciate 0