ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

08-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #23
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
There have been innumerable media and owner reviews already, but I'll go ahead and post my own in the event that anyone cares. The following is paraphrased from a similar review I sent to some of my friends so (if you're reading) sorry for the re-post. For the record, I've previously owned an E36 M3 followed by a B6 Audi S4 (with a short stint in a Z4 M Coupe) so I'm a big fan of German über-sedans.

Let's go with a Jalopnik-style review and break it up into sections:

Exterior: 9/10
I've always liked 'sleeper' cars, and while the M3 has some flash, it's no Corvette. They've taken the 3-Series and beefed it up in all the right areas without creating a shape that attracts attention. The flared fender haunches are my favorite aspect of the car. I also like the front end a lot, where I always felt the standard 3-Series was quite boring. I give the car a 9/10 only because the rear is a little busy, especially in the bumper area.

Interior: 7/10.
The seats are incredible. As good or better than the Recaro seats in my old Audi S4. Other than that, it's a standard 3-Series layout. I like it, but it doesn't scream quality the way modern Porsche or Audi interiors do. I suppose for that I could have opted for the 'full leather' option but I was already tapped out price-wise. The carbon trim is nice, but I'm sure it'll be scratched to hell in no time. The ergonomics are good, but I still hate the d@mned armrest height which makes shifting awkward.

Acceleration: 9/10
Mind-blowing. Feels like WAY more than 430 horsepower. The engine is the centerpiece and masterpiece of the car. It's SO tractable. You can lug it around in traffic at 1200 rpm, get good fuel economy with little cabin noise. Or you lay your foot in it and far exceed posted speed limits alarmingly fast. I will admit there is some turbo lag. Occasionally I'll lug it too hard, like trying to start from near-stop in third, and the engine takes some time to build thrust. But that's my fault. I've also learned with full-throttle upshifts that I should stay in the throttle a bit to keep the turbos up. If I come off completely there is a noticeable lag getting back on. I've read in Sport+ there's actually an engine algorithm that keeps the wastegates closed and turbos spinning, but I haven't played with that much yet.

Braking: 8/10
GREAT pedal feel. After the initial travel the pedal is a ROCK. BMW went with a small caliper / big disc sizing philosophy, so there isn't a lot of hydraulic deformation under braking (at least compared to a six-piston caliper, for example). If I had any complaint, the effort is a little low. I find myself over-braking sometimes and sometimes find it challenging to stop smoothly at the end of a light. I don't have much experience yet with full-bore brake applications (or track use) but if you believe the media the cast-iron system should tolerate a lot of abuse.

Ride: 7/10
On an absolute basis it's a 7/10, but in the sports car category it probably deserves a 9/10. For a car with this much performance, they've struck an amazing balance of ride/handing. The ride is really compliant. I absolutely think the 18" wheels and the adaptive suspension were the right choice. Roads in Michigan are SO bad. I was really worried that this car was going to be uncomfortable in commuting, but the ride is even better than my Audi S4. I'm very, very happy in this aspect.

Handling: 8/10
I haven't tossed it around too much, but I can tell you that it turns RIGHT. NOW. Amazing responsiveness. And GRIP. So. much. grip. I played around in some highway on/off ramp cloverleafs and Jesus does it stick, with nary a sound from the tires. If this car has tractive limits, I haven't found them yet. I suppose steering belongs in this category, so I'll say I'm pretty happy with it, but it's not as good as my Z4 M Coupe was. The ratio is good, and I like that I can select different effort levels depending on the mode I'm in, but I'm not crazy about the on-center feel, and that's a complaint I've had with other EPS cars. I find myself having to provide micro inputs in a straight line that I don't feel like I need in other cars. Don't get me wrong---it's really, really good, but not the best I've ever experienced.

Gearbox: 9/10
I started to write 10/10, but then I realized I need to reserve that 10/10 spot for the NSX and S2000 gearboxes. But it's damned good. Throws are long by sports car standard, but I like that. The throw, combined with the engagement feel... there's no doubt when you're in gear. I can't describe it in words. You just need to drive it. NO REGRETS about getting a manual.

Toys: 8/10
I'm overwhelmed. I've never really had a car with any technology beyond automatic climate control or rain-sensing wipers. This thing is a whole different world. Nav, backup sensors, cameras, Bluetooth audio, heads up display... I could go on and on. It's too much for me at the moment. I feel distracted. Sometimes I just turn the screen off. I do REALLY like the heads-up display with the //M tachometer and shift lights.

Audio: 7/10
The Harmon Kardon system sounds pretty good. Most of the time I just listen to NPR.

Value: 8/10
Is this car worth $75,000? Yes. Was it worth the $10k in options I added to it? Maybe not. But all-in-all, I'm not suffering from any buyer's remorse.

In total the car scores a respectable 80/100, which (on the Jalopnik scale) puts it in the same company as the 911 4S, Audi R8 and Jaguar F-Type. Not bad.

Drive safe, enjoy your cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

In keeping with Floridagator, I decided to also add a review using the same Jalopnik-style idea/format. I hope he doesn't mind but I found it terrific!

I am still in my break-in phase, and because of that, the categories for Acceleration/Braking/Ride/Handling may need slight, or significant adjusting once I am able to put the car through a more diverse array of environments and conditions, while being able to fully utilize the many terrific attributes the vehicles has to offer (to the best of my capability that is) and hopefully even a track day or two before winter hibernation.
That being said, this will be done in two parts- Pre Break-In/Post Break-In...

Pre Break-In-
Approx. 900 miles on the ODM

Interior:- 9/10
I still feel BMW should have kept the integrated E90/92 style Sat/Nav screen in the dash, as to me it flowed better with the interior. I just feel the pop up looking screen simply looks like an after thought, or that it at least should actually function as a pop-up/slide in to the dash. But that I suppose is subjective, as the screen is clearer than the previous gen. The iDrive controller I personally have never had a problem with, and actually didn't mind it even in the earlier models. I know it did not receive great fan fare, but to me it works just fine and I always felt it was reasonably user friendly. I guess I do not spend large amounts of time tinkering with it for it to be an issue perhaps one way or another. I did notice there was a bit of cost-cutting that went into various plastics used. No need to specify, but to pack this much super car into a 4 door sedan, while also keeping the gas guzzler tax at bay, that would be just splitting hairs really.
*I did option for Full Leather which I feel helped add a little....je ne sais quoin, to the cars interior persona.
Also- the seats alone- 10/10

Exterior: 9/10
While the M3 does have flash and holds its own in a crowd, it isn't a "super car" per-se. I put it to the ultimate (Michigan) test last week, taking it down the the Dream Cruise. And for those that are unfamiliar, it is held annually in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan. Essentially consisting of automotive enthusiasts of every way, shape and form, and all sorts of vehicles. From your classics to your new Euros
I received so much positive feedback I was overwhelmed! I was getting thumbs up by everyone from the Asian crowds, to farmer-tanned F150 drivers, literally you name it! I couldn't have been more proud to be able to drive down Woodward and receive such terrific feedback.

Acceleration: 8/10
The acceleration in this car is just insane. And if I am honest, there are only a handful of cars I have driven, both NA and FI, rolling right off the showroom floor even come close to having the *usable* power this car has. I obviously have yet to fully open it up yet, but if what I have experienced thus far is any inclination as to what's to come, well...there is way more power than I will ever fully be able to utilize anywhere safely (or legally), with the exception of the track. And even then, I only hope my skill level allow me to reach, or even come close to unleashing it's full potential. I had to leave a bit of room in the score for after I have the opportunity to romp on the gas after break-in. Though I did experience, if ever so slight amount, of turbo lag that I have felt at various times. Though BMW did a terrific at nearly eliminating this, I would be lying if I say it was absolutely perfect. Though I am sure as various tunes become available, and this engine realizes its full potential, I'd say it is only a matter of time that, that issue is eliminated completely.

Braking: 7/10-
Because I have not had a chance to fully utilize the power, I also have not had a chance (or need) to fully take advantage of the brakes. So this score is to be taken in the same light as acceleration/handling, I will reserve/update my score after I get a chance to give the brakes a bit more of a workout. I have driven a few cars that were noticeably better, so leaving a margin for the fact, I am curious how the CCB's would feel after break-in?

Ride: 10/10
I am approaching this with the variability of this cars suspension and adjustable driving dynamics in mind. To date, I have driven my father in-law, pregnant wife, and various others in the front and back seats. I have gotten nothing but compliments on just how smooth and quiet this car was for an "M." My brother in-law has a E90 M3 (with Akrapovic exhaust and I believe some suspension bits) due to his car being many of their only experiences with, or in an "M" car of any kind, they may have been expecting a much harsher, intrusive ride, and obviously were pleasantly surprised. I have a "Family" profile set up specifically with everything set to Comfort or Efficient, so that I can quickly switch it over when I know I will be driving around family. This is terrific as it quickly transforms from a stiff, planted, beast, to a docile, comfy panda, with which my father in-law didn't even mind driving with, even when not necessary (he refuses to drive with my brother in-law, even when he has to)
*Note, I do have the Adaptive M Suspension.

Handling: 9/10-
I have also not had a chance to really get it out and throw it through the ringer yet. Though, for all the back and forth we have all read before hand from every automotive journalists imaginable... I can say that for those of us who do not test drive cars for a living, this car is very precise, responsive, and provides ample feedback and I have absolutely no qualms at all with the updated electronic steering.

Gearbox: 10/10-
I have a manual, and I truthfully have never driven one *better* than this. I have driven a few that I would say were just as good, but I would be lying if I said I have driven better. It is light, while still having enough weight to feel the engagement (especially reverse lol) The throws are nice and short, though not too much so. I personally love the rev-meter in the HUD, and the fact it shows which gear you are in, as well as which you would be in (regardless if the clutch is fully disengaged or not)
Overall, it is fantastic. Most manuals I have had, I have either needed a short-shifter, or needed to add something to it to make it "just right." I honestly wouldn't change anything, even I could.

Toys: 7/10
This is an area of little concern to me personally. Though, now having a child, I have found myself paying more attention to little items such as USB ports, 12 volt plugs etc... for family purposes alone. This car has more of this stuff than I will ever need or use (it is fully optioned), but I have used a couple setups that were a bit more user-friendly and had more to offer in the system storage/input-output connection ports etc... There is only one USB port (unless I am missing one?) and one 12 volt plug (again, if your aware of more, please let me know)
So I could use a few more of both of those. But overall, there is plenty for the passenger to entertain themselves, that is, when I don't force them to turn off the radio and listen to the vehicle sing it's sweet, sweet melody

Audio: 9/10
Actually a few weeks ago, I would have also ranked this a 7. But I began researching and came across someone here with the HK who ever so graciously posted his equalizer setup, which I utilized and it really made a difference! I wish I could remember who that was to thank them, but having the correct EQ setup is much more important than I would have anticipated. And because the perfect setup is a subjective issue, take your time to get this right and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how great this system can sound.

Value: 10/10
I absolute love this car inside and out. I wouldn't change a thing!
I was able to option this vehicle to the exact specs I wanted (all of them lol) as I have been planning this for over a year. I also decided I will not be selling this car, even after moving on to my next vehicle. This will be a project, a family friend, source of entertainment, a teaching vehicle for my children etc... This one is for keeps

Pre Break-in total=88

Like I said, once I have the break-in service performed and a few more miles driven, I will do this again. I too am curious if my thoughts will change once I have had the opportunity to drive in a few more environments, while being able to fully utilize the power and braking when desired.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope this was at least a little helpful to anyone who might be considering this vehicle, as I know it is a major leap of faith becoming a buy-before-driving customer. Furthermore, I know it is quite obvious that I am no journalist, so I appreciate your patience in my attempt at expressing my opinions in this manner.
Regards,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
thrilla
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I just put in a deposit for an F80 from an ohio dealer. The Local dealer was less enthused in getting me an allocation. Production is set to start on Sep 22.

Looking forward to learning more about this platform, and meeting other enthusiasts.

Last edited by thrilla; 10-19-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #26
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've been seeing more and more of the F80/F82's on the road. There's someone in a white M3 that I regularly see on my way home on I-275. Then I was in downtown Detroit for lunch and caught a glimpse of an Austin Yellow M4. If you guys are reading, chime in.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Look for my SO M3 in the Campus Martius area Downtown. Ended up taking delivery of the car after all.

Anyone want to do a meetup and get some pics? Would be cool to get the Michigan F80/F82 together and get some pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Can an older high-revving V8 brother come along for the meet?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #29
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode
Can an older high-revving V8 brother come along for the meet?
But ofcourse! And Floridagator-that would probably be me you see regularly in the white M3, driving like a bat outta heck I can't help it, she asks for it!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #30
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
But ofcourse! And Floridagator-that would probably be me you see regularly in the white M3, driving like a bat outta heck I can't help it, she asks for it!

Hows the car, you break it in yet? An the kido
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #31
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
And another sighting... These things are everywhere! I swear I saw a black M4 on M-59 (Highland Road in Waterford) this afternoon with NUMBERS ON IT. Coming from Waterford Hills?

Anyone want to join me at Gingerman this weekend?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #32
Floridagator
Obsessed with braking
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
And now the actual Jalopnik review is out.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-bmw-m3-the-...iew-1635342844
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #33
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
Quote:

Hows the car, you break it in yet? An the kido
Absolutely fantastic! And my son is doing great. He is gaining weight and adjusting well! And just for the record, I never drive with the kids in the car, that's what the 5 Series GT is for!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #34
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagator View Post
I've been seeing more and more of the F80/F82's on the road. There's someone in a white M3 that I regularly see on my way home on I-275. Then I was in downtown Detroit for lunch and caught a glimpse of an Austin Yellow M4. If you guys are reading, chime in.
The white M3 is most likely me. Black wheels? I drive 275 North in the morning from 14 to 696 and south in the afternoon. I have yet to see another one on the road.

Edit: just saw Chris's post. So there's two white M3's running up and down 275 every day? Chris, which wheels do you have?
      10-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Hey guys, FYI there is a TSE ///Michigan meet and drive this weekend. Would love to have you all there.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...8#post16743528
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #36
AyM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
1983 Mini Turbo  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm in. Receiving my M4 in mid January from Erhard Bloomfield Hills.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #37
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyM4 View Post
I'm in. Receiving my M4 in mid January from Erhard Bloomfield Hills.
great dealership!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #38
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guy3 View Post
great dealership!
I personally work with Farmington Hills, but they seem to provide terrific service across the board!
A bit off topic, but what do you guys think about this little (expensive) gem?
I happen to see this at Erhard Bloomfield as well not too long ago.
Hard to justify the price of nearly an M3/4 for a 4 Series with a bunch of M-Performance add-ons.
Although, you do get the X-Drive capability, and it even has the correct amount of pedals!
It actually reminds me of that model that was supposedly exclusively for Canadian markets, but I would bet most sales are through BMW of Vancouver simply due to the ridiculous amount of wealth there.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=989393

But I digress...
Details are here for the car in Bloomfield.
http://inventory.worldoferhard.com/w...ition_id=10425
I suppose the cost could be justifiable if this was your year around car. Though, I am curious if the power upgrade that comes on the one listed above in Canadian markets, is also applied to the one here in Bloomfield?
-

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #39
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

My local dealer in Chicago has a similar car on the showroom floor right now (a silver 435xi convt. with every M sport accessory imaginable put on) for more than the cost of my optioned M4 coupe $77k vs. $75k.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #40
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
A bit off topic, but what do you guys think about this little (expensive) gem? I happen to see this at Erhard Bloomfield as well not too long ago. Hard to justify the price of nearly an M3/4 for a 4 Series with a bunch of M-Performance add-ons. Although, you do get the X-Drive capability, and it even has the correct amount of pedals!
I've got a relatively stripped M3 with a ~$66k MSRP, so my opinion is evident right there.

For me, the vast majority of the value in the M3/M4, or any BMW, or really any car, is the performance. Or to be more specific, the right mix of utility and performance. Most everything else to me is superfluous. In fact, if I could get an M3 with the feature list of a base 316d as it is found in Europe and pay $XXXX less for it, I'd probably go there too. For that matter, if BMW had a non-luxury arm (like Audi vs. VW, say) under which they sold cars with equal performance (for example, an S3 vs. a Golf R) I'd be apt to just go with the non-luxury model instead. That goes for any brand, by the way. I'd consider any sedan with M3-matching performance from any brand if it were cheaper. But as we know, no one builds non-luxury, small (relatively), RWD, high performance sport sedans so an M3 it is.

The optional AWD does present some additional value though. I probably would not choose it even if it were available for the M3/M4, but I would not rule out a car if it only offered AWD either, especially one with as much power and torque as we have in these cars. For a 335i, not really necessary to get the traction IMHO, but a nice feature for those who want it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #41
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I've got a relatively stripped M3 with a ~$66k MSRP, so my opinion is evident right there.

For me, the vast majority of the value in the M3/M4, or any BMW, or really any car, is the performance. Or to be more specific, the right mix of utility and performance. Most everything else to me is superfluous. In fact, if I could get an M3 with the feature list of a base 316d as it is found in Europe and pay $XXXX less for it, I'd probably go there too. For that matter, if BMW had a non-luxury arm (like Audi vs. VW, say) under which they sold cars with equal performance (for example, an S3 vs. a Golf R) I'd be apt to just go with the non-luxury model instead. That goes for any brand, by the way. I'd consider any sedan with M3-matching performance from any brand if it were cheaper. But as we know, no one builds non-luxury, small (relatively), RWD, high performance sport sedans so an M3 it is.

The optional AWD does present some additional value though. I probably would not choose it even if it were available for the M3/M4, but I would not rule out a car if it only offered AWD either, especially one with as much power and torque as we have in these cars. For a 335i, not really necessary to get the traction IMHO, but a nice feature for those who want it.
I see your point to a certain extent. The value of the car is really about the base MSRP (which includes if it is AWD or not) and maybe a few sought after options (optional OEM rims, leather interior, nav, etc.). These will determine the resale value along with the condition and miles driven. If you go on cars.com you can see that most E92 m3s are clustered between $37k - $45k if miles are <30,000 (all of these cars have varying options).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #42
AyM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
1983 Mini Turbo  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I saw that exact car when I was ordering mine. I saw the sticker and was pretty shocked.

For reference, what I thought was strange is that Erhard Farmington Hills wouldn't move even $500 off sticker and Erhard Bloomfield met me within $600 of invoice.

I like the service department better at FH, but will probably stay at Bloomfield for service to be more loyal to them for the discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #43
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

F80 M3 ED pick up Jan 31 / ordered from BMWDavid in Cali.

Will definitely use E-Fh for service all day every day - Chad is the man.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #44
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
F80 M3 ED pick up Jan 31 / ordered from BMWDavid in Cali.

Will definitely use E-Fh for service all day every day - Chad is the man.
Chad is the man but the salespeople I don't like so much
Appreciate 0