EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

04-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #67
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
What are you talking about?

The f80 M3 shares the same front end of the f32, not the f30. Exactly how the e90 M3 shared the same front end of the e92 (pre-lci, which the e92 M3 also shared)...there is your "m3 specific front end" you are talking about.

The kidney grills are also different - again the shape from the coupe (again, the same as the last generation of cars). Whats also different is that the M3 has double slatted grills vs the non M version of the 3er.

The hood has a powerdome but is also based off the coupe. The fenders are different.

Basically the front clip of the F80 M3 is based off the F32, NOT the F30 - again, exactly the same as the e9x generation.

Its hard to tell because the F30 in this thread is in black, but you need to pay attention to the details a little more (as a car guy)

Look at the side profile of the 335....the headlamps angles upward quite steeply vs the rounded edges of the m3. Look at the grill, on the m3 it curves to the a point on the top outter edges whereas in the 335 its more squared off. Its a sedan with the coupe front end....same frankenstein concept with the bullish sedan stance!!!!
Did not notice this detail!
They are so similar... i had to really look hard but you're right.
Turns out you are more "detail-oriented" than me then

But i must say, if one really has to look that hard to notice the details on the edges then still, the F80 & F30 bear a stronger resemblance (not a bad thing) than the previous E90 front ends, which were more noticeably different.

Interesting observations. I find that pretty cool that they stuck with that frankenstein concept.
Attached Images

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #68
e39>all
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i sedan

I don't read much on here besides the m3/5 forums so my sample size is small, but that's the best f30 I've seen. Still love those style rims or variations of them
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #69
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi
Still don't like that they changed the M3 to be the F80. Why isn't it the F30 M3?
I feel retarded now because I was asking myself the same shit!! Lol. Why? Sorry in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #70
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I literally loathe the fender vent and rear bumper of the M3.

They make zero design sense to me and don't flow AT ALL.
How does the front fender vent make zero design sense? Its the most natural place it could possibly be! It's based off of the same line as the e9xM, just larger.
The shape of it just looks awful to me. It's much larger/taller than the one on the E9X, and I don't like the way it curves back to the door with the bottom line crease. If it were me it would be an upside down nike swoosh (two lines instead of three). And there are so many sharp lines in this design, yet the fender vent is very smooth and curvy. To me it isn't right. The location isn't what I have a problem with at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #71
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Quote:

The f80 M3 shares the same front end of the f32, not the f30. Exactly how the e90 M3 shared the same front end of the e92 (pre-lci, which the e92 M3 also shared)...there is your "m3 specific front end" you are talking about.

The kidney grills are also different - again the shape from the coupe (again, the same as the last generation of cars). Whats also different is that the M3 has double slatted grills vs the non M version of the 3er.

The hood has a powerdome but is also based off the coupe. The fenders are different.

Basically the front clip of the F80 M3 is based off the F32, NOT the F30 - again, exactly the same as the e9x generation.

Its hard to tell because the F30 in this thread is in black, but you need to pay attention to the details a little more (as a car guy)

Look at the side profile of the 335....the headlamps angles upward quite steeply vs the rounded edges of the m3. Look at the grill, on the m3 it curves to the a point on the top outter edges whereas in the 335 its more squared off. Its a sedan with the coupe front end....same frankenstein concept with the bullish sedan stance!!!!
Did not notice this detail!
They are so similar... i had to really look hard but you're right.
Turns out you are more "detail-oriented" than me then

But i must say, if one really has to look that hard to notice the details on the edges then still, the F80 & F30 bear a stronger resemblance (not a bad thing) than the previous E90 front ends, which were more noticeably different.

Interesting observations. I find that pretty cool that they stuck with that frankenstein concept.

That white one looks the business. I think im goin coupe dct this time. Then i have best of all four worlds. Sedan manual coupe dct. Sweet.

I think its the angle of the pics. In real life it is easier to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #72
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Both Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:48 AM   #73
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

That white one looks the business. I think im goin coupe dct this time. Then i have best of all four worlds. Sedan manual coupe dct. Sweet.

I think its the angle of the pics. In real life it is easier to see.
Would be a decent combo. Excuse my fanboyism but you should also consider a P-Car in lieu of the M4 if you already have the sedan. Would be an awesome Jeckyl & Hyde garage.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #74
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
Its a piece I'll be painting or wrapping black that's for sure.
I think that will look better, i'll look forward to seeing it!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:11 AM   #75
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
beautiful rides.
      04-15-2014, 04:24 AM   #76
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

can any pics without filter? i wanna see pics of ymb #nofilter lol if possible
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:32 AM   #77
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I always hated how central the exhaust was located on my E90 M3, but for some reason, it works better for the E46 M3 and F8x M3 platform as it accentuates the width of the car more because those generations have instantly-recognizes wider fenders (it's a little too subtle on the E9X platform IMHO).

Also, that F30 is nicely modified and looks great, kudo's to the owner of that F30!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #78
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Both look good
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #79
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Would be a decent combo. Excuse my fanboyism but you should also consider a P-Car in lieu of the M4 if you already have the sedan. Would be an awesome Jeckyl & Hyde garage.
yeah I am also definitely considering a porsche (Cayman S, 991 S) but I don't know - $500 oil changes?! I know when I can get a GT3 I'm definitely going pcar but the other cars just make me not want it THAT much. I'm perfectly happy with bmw ///M cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #80
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
yeah I am also definitely considering a porsche (Cayman S, 991 S) but I don't know - $500 oil changes?! I know when I can get a GT3 I'm definitely going pcar but the other cars just make me not want it THAT much. I'm perfectly happy with bmw ///M cars.

its a pretty easy DIY, and I am definitely not an above average mechanic.

I would take a 991s or gt3 over the m3/4, but none of the other models.
      04-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #81
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

its a pretty easy DIY, and I am definitely not an above average mechanic.

I would take a 991s or gt3 over the m3/4, but none of the other models.
i would do that too but Porsche says that would kill your warranty. i feel like they would be a little more strict on that as well....(and I agree I still can't get over a cayman or base 991)....I think the Macan might be my first pcar (for my wife)....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #82
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

On the F30, would the aero kit look better painted in body color?
It looks like the rear spoiler is painted
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #83
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I am biased toward M3 (since I have one on order) - but the 335i with M sport package looks great!!! Much better than I thought!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #84
The_M_Way
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

big fan of the F30 m performance parts. I wish the m-sport package came with the rear diffuser...i feel like that should be standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 02:38 AM   #85
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Such beautiful machines
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #86
Ric rock
BMW NOOB
Rep
Drives: 15' 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
The wide fenders and the front of the F80 look much better, than the F30. But the F30 look good too.
+1 couldnt have said it better myself
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #87
Spoolin55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Car looks great man we are almost twins...

What suspension did you finally decide to go with here?

I have H&R Super Sports on the way but trying to see what others are doing...
      01-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #88
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post

I just lost a good entry; somehow I closed the window while drafting it.

The members seeing both cars as similar are correct. There are two reasons for it. First, Florian Nissl. One cannot discuss looks without mentioning him, no more than one should comment on the iPhone looks while not knowing Jonny Ive (he stars at any launch, usually a video). Florian Nissl designed the M3 and M4, and was responsible for the base M design.

The F30 F32 F80 designs were approved 1-3 years before launch. BMW reserved itself a cushion window to complete the M look. Initially, then the 335 F3- came out, Top Gear gave it 2 points less!!! For looks only. That hideous. Secretly, BMW and Nissl were working on the M Performance Parts, and anyone can find those videos.

When cameras go speak to Nissl, mock-ups are covered, but wall sketches point out the future several versions ahead.

Whatever the frames look like- generally similar- the M is the trademark. The #1 design went to the M series, and #2 to M performance. Either case, both the frames and the design were a departure from the E9x series. Florian started in 2006 so he only worked on the new lines, where retaining certain corporate guidelines in mind, the Series division, F vs M etc.

Second, it is the BMW head design and approval board that retained the base F30, 32, 80 looks. They shared a common base, and a discriminatory incrementally better looking refinement as one moves up the scale. So the higher the #, the more “masculine” “athletic” and “exclusive” the look. These are BMW words I heard in their documentaries.

No matter, the F30 is a terrific design, and the M Sport version comes from the exact same hand that designed, simultaneously, the M3/4 lines, thus sharing the similarities the post members noticed. Fact. At its base, the F30 M Performance is a more masculine, athletic and exclusive look than previous models including older M series. Nissl is that good. I do not like the black plastic side skirt BUT it is a terrific winter slush protector, I found out, deflecting wheel debris.

I prefer the M3 lines, obviously, but I also appreciate the terrific look and effort that went into the F30 M Sport PE Laguna Seca. That aside, mine turned out twice as much as the base 335i. From the 20” wheels to the 18” Black I had painted for winter, after 9 months of ownership I can attest to the following: just about no one can tell them apart if seeing mine as standalone, and not without a careful look. The F30 Laguna Seca is an incredible illusion. From BMW tech and sales people, when the car moves or pulls in, from 20 feet or further, the blue tells them, mentally, that it is an M3. Once the mental bias is set, hard to undo. Google “Optical Illusions.” Even veteran BMW salespeople have to look closer to realize the hood bulge is missing, the vents, and, from behind, 2 not 4 exhausts. Since there are no M3 or 4s in blue anywhere around the Ottawa dealerships (if they were, they would be instantly sold), Nissl’s F30 Blue M Performance line is an interesting ‘Trompe l’oeil.”

One of my right side profile pics, check the hood. The quality of the Suntek film covering the paint (the whole front, no visible lines) is such that the hood looks almos tlike bulging a bit. Unless seeing the real M3 next to it, most people confuse mine for the other one.

On a daily basis I get asked just one question “Is this an M3?” or “Is this an M?” Guys or girls. Quite tiring having to answer- especially a crowd near a classy business/restaurant entrance so just came up with one reply that saves me breath: “What do you think?” Take a closer look. Come for a ride - ladies;" the visual confusion is such that they cannot tell.
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 01-09-2015 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0