R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #111
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
I hate to break it to you, but most BMW buyers are not car enthusiasts either.
We are fairly small group

However, we shall see sales figures for M3, AMG, RSs and etc some time later this year. I'm really curious to see how TM3 is going to affect that
Regular TM3 is already outselling base 3-er, C-class and A4 in some states
It's just a beginning...
Car pool lane sticker is hugely valuable in Ca and tesla gets those. What I see in that data is there's a market for a $30-$50k EV from an upmarket brand, and I'm grateful to Tesla for proving that to the German brands.

Upcoming Tesla S Vs Porsche Mission E and BMW X3 electric vs Model Y will be the match ups I'm really interested in.

EV vs ICE car is just click bait. It's apples and oranges and a smart way to get attention for Tesla.

PS: i was in a p90d model x that went into power reduction at mosport partway through a lap and did only 7 laps on a full charge before quitting in order to have enough juice to make it on the trailer. Not yet time to get an ev as a track toy ....
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 12:14 AM   #112
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

^ even if EVs will be competent track toys in the future, the intangibles of vintage sports cars will always be there (at least for me).

I'll happily allow an autonomous EV tow rig to get me and a ICE race car to the track, but will always want to drive my own old school car
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #113
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
IIRC, the first F80 to hit the road was around fall of 2014 as 2015 model year, so assuming the normal 7-year cycle, we're looking at fall of 2021 as 2022 model, which is "at least" 3 years from that post in May. In any case, it's around 3 years whereas the first performance Model 3 has already rolled off the line.
The first F80 hit the road in early 2014. Seven years from then will be early 2021. By the numbers, the G80 is at most three years away. Period.

Furthermore, you are under-informed about G80 M3 timelines. There is a G80 forum on this website. I invite you to go read and learn why it may very well be just two years away.

Quote:
And finally, I'm not sure why people are being defense for BMW.
Because its a BMW forum? Regardless of where you post though, you should naturally expect push-back when you are not properly informed and make inaccurate claims.

I'm a fan of performance vehicles in general, which includes Tesla's offerings. I would consider a Tesla Model 3 Performance once I can place an order for one. By the time that will be possible for me and for anyone else not currently on the Model 3 waitlist, the G80 M3 - another car which I would consider - will be imminent.

As I've already stated, the G80 will compete with the Tesla Model 3 for 100% of the former's lifespan. Those are the two cars that history will consider competitors. One could buy an F80 M3 in 2014 in advance of the W205 C63's arrival. Yet, we do not stack the early F80 M3 up against the W204 C63 available at that time as its contemporary Mercedes equal. We measure all F80 against the W205 C63 that came onto the market a year-ish later. A similar situation will result with respect to the Model 3 Performance and G80.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #114
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The Performance Model 3, which is the one that we are talking about in this thread, is not yet in production.

However, we can say for the sake of argument that it will be in production sometime this year (supposed to be July - we shall see). But that’s not the same as being “readily available”, which is what I said. Unless you are on the wait list already, it will not be readily available to you this year.

Check that. It is at *most* three years away. It is at least two years away, though, sure.

The comparison against a car at its end of life is not very persuasive for those in the know, and performance car enthusiasts typically are. That’s why I called it misguided. Perhaps there are better words to use, but I maintain that the current M3 isn’t ultimately what the Model 3 PD will be measured against. If we assume a lifespan for the Model 3 that is similar to Model S, the G80 and Model 3 Performance will be market place competitors for the entire life of the former. The F80 M3, by contrast, will compete for buyers against the Tesla for exactly zero days of its life.

Also, I absolutely agree that what Musk is doing is ultimately a good thing. I am a fan of electric vehicles and will definitely buy one sometime in the next 15 years. Could be sooner than later, who knows? I don’t think much of the fact that Elon makes promises about availability timelines that he isn’t consistently able to keep, but whatever. I don’t have to like the guy’s approach to appreciate the results.

IIRC, the first F80 to hit the road was around fall of 2014 as 2015 model year, so assuming the normal 7-year cycle, we're looking at fall of 2021 as 2022 model, which is "at least" 3 years from that post in May. In any case, it's around 3 years whereas the first performance Model 3 has already rolled off the line.

And finally, I'm not sure why people are being defense for BMW. I used to be a BMW fanboy always defending BMW on this and other car boards but no longer. I don't own BMW stocks, I just care about driving cars and I'm happy Musk is pushing the envelope. I've doubted Musk before and should've bought Tesla stocks 5 years ago. More competition can only make the G8x better.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #115
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

the model 3 is ugly. I really wanted to like it, but that body style is jacked up!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #116
eonflux
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Hopefully the performance Tesla Model 3 will be engaging and fun to drive.
I've driven Model S and 3 cars, and while the drivetrain was cool, other things were not impressive: steering, steering feel, suspension tuning, etc. There was pretty much no connection to the road.

Driving dynamics that are enjoyable about my M3 and even more so in a previous 911 (991) and Boxster (987) were lacking in those Teslas. Even my X6M (F86) was more satisfying. The Teslas's weren't bad, but about the same as non-M, non-RS, non-AMG, etc, vehicles.

If the Performance TM3 will simply put up good performance numbers, but is not involving to drive, it would hold no appeal to me.
The Audi TTRS will leave behind an M2 and Cayman at a streetlight and maybe on some tracks, but pretty much every reviewer would rather take the BMW or Porsche out for a backroad drive.

Hopefully the Performance TM3 is truly a driver's car, not just a car that looks good on paper.

Last edited by eonflux; 06-17-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0