proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
luneytunes
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 f80 yaz M3

ER downpipe install question

Hey guys I just installed ER downpipes on my F80 this weekend and everything went pretty smooth other then 1 02 sensor. On the larger downpipe I had issues with the primary 02 sensor reaching and the only way that I was able to make it work was removing some of the wire from the factory clips that route the wire. Is this what has to be done or something is wrong? The issue I see with this is now that the wire is not running on the clips it is pretty much touching pipes that get really hot and on top of one of the wastegates. Any input would be great thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by luneytunes View Post
Hey guys I just installed ER downpipes on my F80 this weekend and everything went pretty smooth other then 1 02 sensor. On the larger downpipe I had issues with the primary 02 sensor reaching and the only way that I was able to make it work was removing some of the wire from the factory clips that route the wire. Is this what has to be done or something is wrong? The issue I see with this is now that the wire is not running on the clips it is pretty much touching pipes that get really hot and on top of one of the wastegates. Any input would be great thanks in advance.
Yah I like how the "diy"s don't mention this. The OEM downpipes O2 plug is angled toward the front but the aftermarket pipes have it on the side necessitating to pull it off the clip for more slack. I wound up wrapping the wire in heat shielding as it rubbed against the oil line. I also would like to know if there is a specific detail for the O2 wire to reach that I missed?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
JakOG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i MSport

ER

Yep
I hit this as well
I dont know where i can put the clips now
Sensor leads rubs on some very hot het shield and is close to exhasut
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
luneytunes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post
Yah I like how the "diy"s don't mention this. The OEM downpipes O2 plug is angled toward the front but the aftermarket pipes have it on the side necessitating to pull it off the clip for more slack. I wound up wrapping the wire in heat shielding as it rubbed against the oil line. I also would like to know if there is a specific detail for the O2 wire to reach that I missed?
Yes thank you for your input I thought I was the only one as I have not seen anything about this and I have searched everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
luneytunes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakOG View Post
Yep
I hit this as well
I dont know where i can put the clips now
Sensor leads rubs on some very hot het shield and is close to exhasut
yup my thought exactly. I believe if this stays like this in the long run the sensor wires will get damaged or melt leading into buying a new expensive sensor. I keep checking on the wire every time I drive the car to see if its ok pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I searched a bit too and didn't see a solution. It'd be nice if there is an extension clip or something so the wire isn't right against the tubing...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #7
s3ries
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3

Is this with all ER downpipes installs ? was something installed incorrectly for this to occur?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:50 AM   #8
Candyblueta
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m4

Didn’t have this issue with my vsrf surprisingly.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #9
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Thinking about doing the ER DP install myself. About how long did it take you?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyblueta View Post
Didn't have this issue with my vsrf surprisingly.
Hmmmm, I have VRSF and I did. Did BMW change the length of the O2 sensor wiring on later models? Now I'm really curious to see what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
luneytunes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermatt View Post
Thinking about doing the ER DP install myself. About how long did it take you?
took me about 2 hrs on a lift.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Zero_Cool
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Imola 6spd

Find some chaff tape and spiral wrap. Should protect the wires from the heat/rubbing the down pipe.

Luney, did you have help or do it yourself? 2hrs seems pretty fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Cool View Post
Find some chaff tape and spiral wrap. Should protect the wires from the heat/rubbing the down pipe.

Luney, did you have help or do it yourself? 2hrs seems pretty fast.
Agreed...2hrs is lightning fast. It took me 8 hrs but on jacks and I'm very slow and meticulous (clean as I go, double check, organize parts, etc)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Agreed...2hrs is lightning fast. It took me 8 hrs but on jacks and I'm very slow and meticulous (clean as I go, double check, organize parts, etc)
Yikes! 2-8hrs is quite the range. Im guessing it'll likely take me on the upper end especially after finding out from BMW that they call out for 6hrs in their service department!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #15
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

I’m assuming these are catless correct? I think the issue is that the factory cat is flat and the o2 position is on a flat cat that sticks out. There isn’t a way mimic the same exact spot because the o2 on a catless is right on the tube

Install should take about 2.5 hours. I do not recommend removing the o2 sensors on the downpipe first. This may cause the line to twist when being removed which could result in damage. You want to disconnect the wire and pull the o2 out with the downpipe at the same time. You’ll want to install the new downpipe without wires or o2 sensors connected onto the vehicle. Once the downpipes are on the car that’s when you should reinstall the wires and o2 back on.
      04-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #16
RonTen
Rep
Drives: 21 Toronto Red X3M Comp

I did AR Design catted downpipes and didn't have to do any modifications to the O2 sensor wires. Did the install on a lift and took about 3 hours.
16 Yas Marina Blue F80 M3 - Sold
18 Alpine White X3 M40i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #17
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW M4 View Post
I'm assuming these are catless correct? I think the issue is that the factory cat is flat and the o2 position is on a flat cat that sticks out. There isn't a way mimic the same exact spot because the o2 on a catless is right on the tube

Install should take about 2.5 hours. I do not recommend removing the o2 sensors on the downpipe first. This may cause the line to twist when being removed which could result in damage. You want to disconnect the wire and pull the o2 out with the downpipe at the same time. You'll want to install the new downpipe without wires or o2 sensors connected onto the vehicle. Once the downpipes are on the car that's when you should reinstall the wires and o2 back on.
I've heard this before and I do not see the need as long as your careful. The wiring on the O2 sensors isn't that fragile...imho
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #18
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

Quote:
I've heard this before and I do not see the need as long as your careful. The wiring on the O2 sensors isn't that fragile...imho
True and so long as you’re careful it should be a problem. All depends on how OCD the person working on the car is
      02-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #19
ckendri
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - F82

Glad to find this thread as I was trying to figure out what went wrong on my install. 2015 F82 with VRSF downpipes, and the bank 1 primary O2 won't reach the bung. I'm going to trace down the wire, and cut it loose to see if I can get it to go.
      03-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #20
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Not to dig up the old horse, but I just installed a set of VRSF downpipes and ran into the same issue in my Primary O2 on the long tube. I also ran into a problem with my my secondary O2 bung on the long tube. The bolt that VRSF puts in the bung is stuck. I tried giving it a single ugga dugga wrench turn, and when it didn't budge, I just backed off. I sent them an email waiting for a reply. I left the downtubes on the car, but damn. I wish I had read this thread before I started installing. I will work topside and see if I can get more slack in the primary O2 harness. I installed from the bottom, and just used gentle touches to pull the O2 sensors from the stock tubes.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:40 AM   #21
AY4EVR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow F80 M3 CCB

I had similar issue with the primary O2 sensor on long tube toward front of engine, VRSF downtubes. Removed the wire from clips and rerouted it on inside of tubing that run front-back (unsure what they are); the wire had run on outside of them. This gave more slack. I also pulled the wire/O2 sensors all the way out and screwed them into new bungs before installing the downtubes so that the wires wouldn’t be twisted at all and less likely to damage them or the sensors.
Appreciate 0