European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
jray23
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Lowering with M Adaptive suspension?

So I "googled" and found a thread referencing the title above. It was literally just a bunch of forum members having a measuring contest and trolling each other.

That being said, I was hoping to get some insight here!

If we use lowering springs such as H&R Lowering springs and have the M Adaptive Suspension, will it change drastically or will I lose such a feature? Sounds silly I know, but I have to ask.

Has anyone done this yet? If so what's the outcome.

Just trying to get an over all answer to fill in the huge gap on my front wheels(would be using all 4 relax).

Thanks for all the info in advance Gents!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
jim996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

See my thread here. My car rides well with springs fitted and I can still use the 3 settings on the suspension. The biggest improvement for me came with loading the latest damper steering, diff and steering software.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1335887

I'm happy with the set up on springs but will be switching the car to a full coil-over set up later this year. Not because I really need to but I've been offered an amazing deal.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
jray23
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim996 View Post
See my thread here. My car rides well with springs fitted and I can still use the 3 settings on the suspension. The biggest improvement for me came with loading the latest damper steering, diff and steering software.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1335887

I'm happy with the set up on springs but will be switching the car to a full coil-over set up later this year. Not because I really need to but I've been offered an amazing deal.
Hey thanks alot bud, I'll be reading that thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I have the Dinan coilover suspension, which is really just height-adjustable springs, lowered the recommended 1/2" with M Adaptive Suspension.

The Dinan springs firm up everything by one setting, which is to say that Comfort now feels like Sport, Sport feels like Sport+, and Sport+ is firmer. The change between settings is still noticeable. I usually drive in Comfort on the street and Sport+ on the track.

There's lots of threads about different lowering springs in this forum.

Appreciate 1
      03-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

I'm also on Dinan suspension lowered full 1" front and .5" rear and agree that things firm up nicely to remove the float and body roll with stock. Rough roads here in SF and live in Comfort mode in the City and Sport on the highways. You will definitely not loose the adjustability from EDC.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #6
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

I had KW HAS. Yes the settings still work and you can feel the difference like every one said.

Now I have KW V3 coil overs. And I don't even think about changing settings. They are stiffer than stock but they're right all the time.....At least for me. Before, I was pushing that suspension button every time I was ready to take a corner hard. Now I just Focus on my driving.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I have started looking at lowering the car and had same questions whether M Adapative suspension settings would work. I want to lower it just for looks and have no idea on suspension changes like coils , springsetc.

1. Which are my best choices without making the car more firmer , need just for looks
2. How much drop is recommended , is 1 inch at the front and 1/2 inch at rear advisable, i want the front and rear same height.
3. Also looking for adjustable settings

Please advice
      03-18-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
I have started looking at lowering the car and had same questions whether M Adapative suspension settings would work. I want to lower it just for looks and have no idea on suspension changes like coils , springsetc.

1. Which are my best choices without making the car more firmer , need just for looks
2. How much drop is recommended , is 1 inch at the front and 1/2 inch at rear advisable, i want the front and rear same height.
3. Also looking for adjustable settings

Please advice
If by adjustable settings you mean height adjustable then your best bets are Dinan or BMW MP HAS. Unfortunately, both will be stiffer than stock. I can't speak for MP HAS, but Dinan gives the car a firmer feel without making it unbearable. After a while you won't even notice it. I am lowered 1" front and 1/2 inch rear but am running 265/35 and 295/35 tires which does help dampen things up more and closes the gaps more while leaving me plenty of clearance up front.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Lowering springs work with EDC as long as the spring rates remain within the damping capabilities of the EDC shocks. The 3 EDC setting will remain active. Too stiff springs will yield a "bouncy" ride, so the comfort setting could become useless with stiffer springs. I have the Eibach on my car, which provide a moderate drop and increase in soring rate and the 3 EDC settings work perfectly well.

As a tidbit, BMW own M-Performance lowering springs (HAS kit) are designed to work specifically with the EDC dampers.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

I researched on this and find the HAS too be much more expensive than regular springs , the problem with regular spring is the lowering is set to a specific height have generally 1 inch front and .5 at the rear which would make the ride lot stiffer and I don't need that as a DD

I need only for looks and want. 5 inch drop in front and .2 in the rear , can I get any springs with that drop which is in my budget range
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

Quote:
I researched on this and find the HAS too be much more expensive than regular springs , the problem with regular spring is the lowering is set to a specific height have generally 1 inch front and .5 at the rear which would make the ride lot stiffer and I don't need that as a DD

I need only for looks and want. 5 inch drop in front and .2 in the rear , can I get any springs with that drop which is in my budget range
I purchased the Eibach Pro Kit for $275, another $325 for the install w/ alignment. Drop is .75 front and less than .25 rear. Ride is prefect with Adaptive Suspension and the latest Firmware update.

With that said I believe Eibach revised the springs which is .25 lower. You might want to contact directly them for further information.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

How much springs lower the car and how stiff the car becomes are not directly related. One has to with the total coil height and the other with the spring rate.

The Eibach I installed on my car lowered the front by 0.8" and the rear by 0.3" and only very moderately increased the spring rate over stock. The are in fact slightly softer than the CP springs.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #13
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

I have narrowed down between swifts spec R springs and eibach Pro-Kit , which one would you recommend based on ride Comfort more close to stock as both lower the car by same height
Appreciate 0