proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Yeah and it seems that a lot here just take it as normal and then it's too late to have it corrected under warranty. Hope it is fixed and you don't mind sharing your service order to see if I can gain some insight into mine.
Yup, will scan to a PDF and upload it here once I get the car back, figure this could help anyone else who runs into this issue!
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR712.00
      01-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Just got back, it's much better than it was, but....still feel like the wheel is just not right. It's not a pull to the right now as much as the car just wants to aim right. Hard to explain, it will go left if the crown of the road is left, but on totally flat surfaces there is still a tendency to want to meander to the right.

Not having to add constant left input any longer, but have to make occasional steering corrections where I didn't when I took delivery.

I'm going to give it a few days and see if I get used to it or if I have to run it back in...work order attached...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW001.pdf (786.2 KB, 267 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #25
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Just got back, it's much better than it was, but....still feel like the wheel is just not right. It's not a pull to the right now as much as the car just wants to aim right. Hard to explain, it will go left if the crown of the road is left, but on totally flat surfaces there is still a tendency to want to meander to the right.

Not having to add constant left input any longer, but have to make occasional steering corrections where I didn't when I took delivery.

I'm going to give it a few days and see if I get used to it or if I have to run it back in...work order attached...
Thanks for posting - once again you are describing exactly what mine feels like. Much better after they replaced my front left steering knuckle, but still wanting to favor to the right.

Interesting that mine was +30 MIN on the left while yours was -30 MIN on the right. Did they happen to give you your before and after alignment sheet? I assume they change the side that keeps the geometry closest to the center mark.

For me front camber was...
Before: -1.6 left and -1.5 right
After: -1.3 left and -1.5 right

And they adjusted rear toe to give me a -0.03 thrust angle which I was told would help compensate to the left.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:03 PM   #26
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting - once again you are describing exactly what mine feels like. Much better after they replaced my front left steering knuckle, but still wanting to favor to the right.

Interesting that mine was +30 MIN on the left while yours was -30 MIN on the right. Did they happen to give you your before and after alignment sheet? I assume they change the side that keeps the geometry closest to the center mark.

For me front camber was...
Before: -1.6 left and -1.5 right
After: -1.3 left and -1.5 right

And they adjusted rear toe to give me a -0.03 thrust angle which I was told would help compensate to the left.
So I ended up writing the sales manager after I posted the work order. Went and got my kids from school and the drive there and back made me realize it's still not right so got home and sent him a long note. Also noticed that the wheel when driving straight is not centered, it's down a couple of degrees to the right, annoying in its own right.

In the note, asked if he could reach out to BMW NA and get a suspension or alignment expert to come look at the car. A $78K car with <800 miles (300 of which I put on during a road trip to SA last weekend) should not have this kind of issue so early on.

Haven't heard back yet, so we'll see.

On the alignment, I also noticed that they didn't provide a spec sheet, will try to get one as I'm curious on the before and after, too.

I just hope all this is documented as I have a feeling I'll pop 1K miles in the next few days and I hear that's when you start paying for this kind of alignment work!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Thought about this last night and wondered if this could be related to the electric power steering on the F80

I had a E90 M3 that ran 255/275 staggered on the street - only 10mm less than the ZCP package in tire size - but never ever had this issue. Even with the track set up (275 square) on the car there was no hint of a pull or push.

And on the E36 GTS3 race car that ran -3.75 camber in the front and -2.5 in the rear with a 275 square set up, never any sort of pull - minus when I went off or pounded a curb too hard and had to get it realigned.

But both those cars had a hydraulic steering rack.

Grabbing at straws? Perhaps, just want a solution...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #28
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I ended up writing the sales manager after I posted the work order. Went and got my kids from school and the drive there and back made me realize it's still not right so got home and sent him a long note. Also noticed that the wheel when driving straight is not centered, it's down a couple of degrees to the right, annoying in its own right.

In the note, asked if he could reach out to BMW NA and get a suspension or alignment expert to come look at the car. A $78K car with <800 miles (300 of which I put on during a road trip to SA last weekend) should not have this kind of issue so early on.

Haven't heard back yet, so we'll see.

On the alignment, I also noticed that they didn't provide a spec sheet, will try to get one as I'm curious on the before and after, too.

I just hope all this is documented as I have a feeling I'll pop 1K miles in the next few days and I hear that's when you start paying for this kind of alignment work!
It's like our cars are twins. I have the MP steering wheel with the blue center stripe and mine is a full degree off center with the stripe just before noon.

Stay the course and escalate to BMW NA yourself if you have to. That is exactly what I did in 2013 when my F30 had the same issue. I also think the work order you have should be enough proof of you addressing this within the warranty limit. As long as there is no sign of physical damage, they can't back out since they have already performed work under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #29
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's like our cars are twins. I have the MP steering wheel with the blue center stripe and mine is a full degree off center with the stripe just before noon.

Stay the course and escalate to BMW NA yourself if you have to. That is exactly what I did in 2013 when my F30 had the same issue. I also think the work order you have should be enough proof of you addressing this within the warranty limit. As long as there is no sign of physical damage, they can't back out since they have already performed work under warranty.
Yah, when I wrote at $38K check to move from the 340i lease to the F80 a little over 3 weeks ago, definitely didn't think I'd have any issues like this, especially below 1K miles!

Never did with any other BMW I've owned before, and there were a lot of them:

540i, 335i, E90 M3, 340i and now this...the e36 track car doesn't count, was a franken-car and was never street legal

I'm still waiting to hear from the sales manager, we'll see what happens!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #30
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

PS found the alignment sheet in my glove box....

I don't see much of a change after they replaced the camber swivel joint, only toe really changes.

Curious what would happen if I were to run the a little + Toe like the track E36...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW004.pdf (487.6 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by AustinTrkJunkie; 02-01-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #31
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PS found the alignment sheet in my glove box....

I don't see much of a change after they replaced the camber swivel joint, only toe really changes.

Curious what would happen if I were to run the a little + Toe like the track E36...
Yeah, your readings make sense since both were taken after they replaced your swivel bearing. Positive toe is probably going to make the car less stable. That is how mine was left initially and the car was extremely unstable and had noticeable understeer. I am actually a little surprised at how little negative camber you have at all four corners compared to mine and other sheets I've seen. I do notice your adjustment range is also different so perhaps that is due to you having 20" wheels.

Check out my latest alignment sheet. Note the aggressive toe in before alignment. This is how the shop left it after replacing front left knuckle to help compensate.
Name:  0201172130.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  610.5 KB

Also check out these other threads I came across. One guy managed to get his lemoned after paying to have it fixed. I hope ours do not come to this...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1165430
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1146394
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #32
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, your readings make sense since both were taken after they replaced your swivel bearing. Positive toe is probably going to make the car less stable. That is how mine was left initially and the car was extremely unstable and had noticeable understeer. I am actually a little surprised at how little negative camber you have at all four corners compared to mine and other sheets I've seen. I do notice your adjustment range is also different so perhaps that is due to you having 20" wheels.

Check out my latest alignment sheet. Note the aggressive toe in before alignment. This is how the shop left it after replacing front left knuckle to help compensate.
Attachment 1566229

Also check out these other threads I came across. One guy managed to get his lemoned after paying to have it fixed. I hope ours do not come to this...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1165430
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1146394
Holy hell, that is scary. I can't believe that they actually allowed a lemon at 5K miles, but happy for him that they did. Agree, I don't want to go down that path!

I still haven't heard from my sales manager, giving it one more day as I hope he's trying to find a solution before I call back in.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #33
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

I posted this in another thread, but this last alignment and steering wheel center has apparently resolved the issue. Wheel's centered and any right push/pull is almost all purely road crown now.

Was able to take my hand off the wheel at 90 on the tollway and the car barely moved to the right, where this morning before the last work, it would have slung to the right.

No idea what they did different, but seems to be fixed!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #34
YMBdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB Competition F80

Here is what my alignment showed at dealer today...what do you think? I feel that it still moves to the right
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #35
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMBdoc View Post
Here is what my alignment showed at dealer today...what do you think? I feel that it still moves to the right
That front right camber looks way off, -1.24 on left, -.58 on right, that's way too much delta, I've have them realign it for sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #36
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Same issue here with pulling to the right. I always wondered if it was possibly the EPS.
      02-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #37
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Hate to be back on this thread, but the pull has slowly been coming back over the last 2 weeks and as of today it's back to where letting go of the wheel at 80 results in an instant cut to the right again. Ugh!

I just called my SA and instead of going through them, he recommended going straight to BMW NA since there's nothing else he knew of doing but NA could send a suspension engineer to check it out.

Called NA, but they have a voice mail saying they're all at a company event and to call back tomorrow. I had actually opened a case with them last month, but the day they called to schedule the engineer to come was the day I got it back and thought it was fixed so said it was no longer an issue. I should have kept that appt!

Will update as I hear more
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #38
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie
Hate to be back on this thread, but the pull has slowly been coming back over the last 2 weeks and as of today it's back to where letting go of the wheel at 80 results in an instant cut to the right again. Ugh!

I just called my SA and instead of going through them, he recommended going straight to BMW NA since there's nothing else he knew of doing but NA could send a suspension engineer to check it out.

Called NA, but they have a voice mail saying they're all at a company event and to call back tomorrow. I had actually opened a case with them last month, but the day they called to schedule the engineer to come was the day I got it back and thought it was fixed so said it was no longer an issue. I should have kept that appt!

Will update as I hear more
This sucks! Did you just call the Genius number or did they give you a special number to call? I'm going to try and do the same even though I am out of alignment warranty. Figure the more noise we make the more attention it will get.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #39
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This sucks! Did you just call the Genius number or did they give you a special number to call? I'm going to try and do the same even though I am out of alignment warranty. Figure the more noise we make the more attention it will get.
So this is what sucks, I had NA call me the evening where I got the car back - and thought it was all good - so said to close the ticket for NA

That said, my SA said that he got pinged when the ticket opened and he thinks I should still be in the NA system.

Guess we'll see tomorrow or soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #40
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update on this end, just spoke to BMW NA and they are scheduling an engineer to come look at the car in the next couple of weeks. Relayed and stressed that I do not believe this is a alignment issue, rather something with the EPS.

we'll see what happens from here!
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR712.00
      02-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #41
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Just got a note from my SA, the NA engineer will be in town next Friday so dropping the car then!
Appreciate 2
MadZarBMR712.00
Zermatt87.00
      03-27-2017, 11:38 PM   #42
Ymlpco
Registered
Rep
Drives: 16F82

I am having same issue also. I bought 2016 M4 coupe CPO with 3000 miles. I have noticed that the car was pulling right soon after, it was not bad so I drove till 10000 miles and got the alignment done with an oil change.
It was OK for few days but it got worse than before. I have to turn the steering wheel to left to go straight.

Very frustrating and I have read as much comments as possible so I can be ready when I go see my SA.
So AustinTrkJunkie any update yet?

So far these are others have tried
1. Steering wheel centering
2. Spindle, Swivel, pivot bearing and or steering knuckle repalcement
3. Adjust front cambers

anything else I should mention to SA?

Anyone got definitive repairment done to have the problem Solved?

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:36 AM   #43
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

My 2016 M3 ZCP has the same problem...I noticed it at the first day of delivery....but I have lived with it for 7 months...countless of alignments, and every time they were in specifics...got the steering shaft replaced, the steering feels tighter after that, but the wheels still like to pull..or over-react with the road crown...dealer told me the same BS as every of you have heard...no idea what to do...and the wired thing is, after each alignment, the car performs well for about one day or two, then the pulling comes back...If PO or any one has got this problem fixed, please just advise...thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #44
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymlpco View Post
I am having same issue also. I bought 2016 M4 coupe CPO with 3000 miles. I have noticed that the car was pulling right soon after, it was not bad so I drove till 10000 miles and got the alignment done with an oil change.
It was OK for few days but it got worse than before. I have to turn the steering wheel to left to go straight.

Very frustrating and I have read as much comments as possible so I can be ready when I go see my SA.
So AustinTrkJunkie any update yet?

So far these are others have tried
1. Steering wheel centering
2. Spindle, Swivel, pivot bearing and or steering knuckle repalcement
3. Adjust front cambers

anything else I should mention to SA?

Anyone got definitive repairment done to have the problem Solved?

Thank you in advance.
Go here, try the thrust arm bushing fix...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1356577
Appreciate 0