BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #23
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
There's a lot of false/inaccurate information in this thread.

The running in service (RIS aka break in) doesn't specifically unlock Launch Control. LC normally becomes available after 1200 miles, but can't confirm whether that's in conjunction with the Maintenance Reminder reset.

With the following options enabled:

DCT (S3)
Engine (Sports+)
DSC (Off)

Launch control = left foot on brake > right foot on gas > depress the gas kick-down button > Launch control activated message will be displayed in gauge cluster

Rolling burnout = briefly step on brake pedal to suspend vehicle motion > release brake pedal (the car won't move without stepping on the gas) > step on the gas all the way down > modulate power by reducing throttle or by lightly stepping on the brake pedal

If you attempt to do a launch or burnout by simply stepping on the brake pedal, and not fully activating LC, then engine power will cut out since there is no torque converter to pre-load the pressure onto.
Is your last statement supposed to say "simply stepping on the GAS pedal" instead of brake?

So are you saying you need to "activate" LC, (but not use it)...in order to do a burnout from a standstill?
      12-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #24
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Is your last statement supposed to say "simply stepping on the GAS pedal" instead of brake?

So are you saying you need to "activate" LC, (but not use it)...in order to do a burnout from a standstill?
NO, if you step on the brake pedal, and not activate LC, you are attempting to pre-load engine power incorrectly since there is no torque converter to pre-load it to. As a result, the engine power will cut off.

This is the main reason why LC is there in the first place, which is to allow the car to pre-load a certain amount of power on the dual-clutch transmission. The LC on the F8x doesn't actually modulate traction, it's simply a means to pre-load engine power without power cut off.

If you simply want to do a rolling burn out (peel out), then DO NOT step on the brake pedal prior to mashing the gas pedal. Instead, step on the brake pedal to suspend vehicle motion (assuming you're on a flat surface), let go of the brake pedal, then step on the gas as much as you'd like. This process will abruptly dump the clutch packs, giving you the result you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #25
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post

If you simply want to do a rolling burn out (peel out), then DO NOT step on the brake pedal prior to mashing the gas pedal. Instead, step on the brake pedal to suspend vehicle motion (assuming you're on a flat surface), let go of the brake pedal, then step on the gas as much as you'd like. This process will abruptly dump the clutch packs, giving you the result you're looking for.
Sorry, not trying to be dense...but are you suggesting that I should be rolling at 1-2 mph when doing this? You say to not step on the brake prior to the gas, but then you say to step on the brake, let go, then hit the gas.
      12-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #26
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Sorry, not trying to be dense...but are you suggesting that I should be rolling at 1-2 mph when doing this? You say to not step on the brake prior to the gas, but then you say to step on the brake, let go, then hit the gas.
No worries. Just read the part where I mentioned that the car won't move if you let go of the brake pedal as long as you're on a flat/even surface, and not on an incline.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #27
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I wasn't aware of a clutch drop feature nor it being part of the service? First I've heard of it TBH.
I believe bmw calls it 'wheelspin start'

BMW deactivates Launch control and this wheelspin start during break in.
Even tho the manual says not to use either until 3,100 miles, my guess is bmw unlocks this at 1200 miles just so you don't have to go back into service again.

This 'wheelspin start' is done by turning traction contorl 100% off, and mashing/holding the throttle from a full stop.. Just complete wheelspin, just like revving and dropping the clutch in a manual.

Does your LC work?
With DSC off, from a dead start, you should be able to fully floor the throttle, and hold.. The car will rev to 4K rpm and dump the clutch and you should have a whole lot of wheelspin.

Last edited by 5soko; 12-05-2017 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #28
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

Quote:
With my break-in recently done, wanted to get a true feel for the car's power in a safe setting.

Sport+ throttle
DSC fully off
S3
Car & tires warmed up, appropriate and equal tire pressures

Now mind you this is with winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4) and on a 45 degree day. Dry conditions.

Basically mashed it from a standstill a couple of times....and was kind of underwhelmed? I could feel the back starting to step out ever so SLIGHTLY...but the car tracked straight with no smokey tires, heck there wasn't even tire squeal. There was basically no drama whatsoever. Are these winter tires just super sticky or is there something wrong with my car LOL
push and hold the traction control off!!!
Then hold on to your ass cuz things will get hairy real quick if you don't know what your doing
Appreciate 0