Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #243
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

I'm currently getting this done and getting my trunk pop "malfunction" looked at
Will report in a few hours once it is completed.
I did have to plug back the ASD module and place the jb4 to map 0
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #244
sb1805
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Any confirmation if recent builds have this software already? My car (non competition) completed production just a few days ago. Would be nice to not have to worry about getting this upgrade after taking delivery. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #245
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1805 View Post
Any confirmation if recent builds have this software already? My car (non competition) completed production just a few days ago. Would be nice to not have to worry about getting this upgrade after taking delivery. Thanks!
You have to check and see. There are posts that explain how if you read the thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #246
AndyLu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

How do you check your current Version
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #247
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLu View Post
How do you check your current Version
Use Esys, or the method I described in http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=125. And yes, read the thread...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #248
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

I just got my car back after having the software updated. Thanks to MThree_driver's advice on how to get them to agree to do it without questions.

On the invoice states i now have ISTA/P 3.58.3.003. Feel free to PM me if you wanna know how i got it done.

Hope i feel/hear a difference.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #249
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Where and how did you get an X6 loaner for doing this software update, I am in the bay area as well
      05-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #250
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
I just got my car back after having the software updated. Thanks to MThree_driver's advice on how to get them to agree to do it without questions.

On the invoice states i now have ISTA/P 3.58.3.003. Feel free to PM me if you wanna know how i got it done.

Hope i feel/hear a difference.
Would you mind, sharing that advice? PM me
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #251
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Had mine updated today. Since the car was built in June 2014, it's safe to say I had the oldest possible software going into this. I agree with everything TRZ06 said. As far as the adaptive suspension, I'm fairly certain something is different. The car feels similar to how people are describing the ZCP: More buttoned down but more compliant at the same time.

In comfort mode, small floaty body motions are controlled better and the car just stays flatter and more calm. SOME cracks and impacts are softer and quieter, but not all.

In all modes there seems to be more rebound, especially in the front, which this car badly needed. The front of the car now feels like it has purpose, and the roll balance is improved as a result. Now when you turn into a corner, the front end hunkers down and feels like it has some bite, and the car seems to be happier staying planted all the way through the turn. It requires less correction and feels far more confident than before.

I should say that I also had the car aligned exactly to nominal factory specs, so that will help the steering feel as well, but the damping is definitely improved as well.

I've driven a few different ATS-V's, and every time I come away wishing my car handled and steered like that one. With the alignment and cal update, the car now feels every bit as good as the ATS-V, at least on the roads I drove on today.

Throttle response in Sport+ is also singificantly improved. The jerkiness is all but gone. You can get it if you really try, but it's not inherent like it was.

(As a bonus, they installed updated door seals, and the creaking is gone too!)
      05-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #252
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20
Had mine updated today. Since the car was built in June 2014, it's safe to say I had the oldest possible software going into this. I agree with everything TRZ06 said. As far as the adaptive suspension, I'm fairly certain something is different. The car feels similar to how people are describing the ZCP: More buttoned down but more compliant at the same time.

In comfort mode, small floaty body motions are controlled better and the car just stays flatter and more calm. SOME cracks and impacts are softer and quieter, but not all.

In all modes there seems to be more rebound, especially in the front, which this car badly needed. The front of the car now feels like it has purpose, and the roll balance is improved as a result. Now when you turn into a corner, the front end hunkers down and feels like it has some bite, and the car seems to be happier staying planted all the way through the turn. It requires less correction and feels far more confident than before.

I should say that I also had the car aligned exactly to nominal factory specs, so that will help the steering feel as well, but the damping is definitely improved as well.

I've driven a few different ATS-V's, and every time I come away wishing my car handled and steered like that one. With the alignment and cal update, the car now feels every bit as good as the ATS-V, at least on the roads I drove on today.

Throttle response in Sport+ is also singificantly improved. The jerkiness is all but gone. You can get it if you really try, but it's not inherent like it was.

(As a bonus, they installed updated door seals, and the creaking is gone too!)
I have since played around with comfort and sport settings with the adaptive suspension and there is still quite a bit of float on rebound. Sport+ is little better but still lacking IMO.

I'm still going with coilovers as soon as Ohlins are ready to ship.

One thing to note is my DCT has had a couple of hiccups since the update, that it never had before. Today on my way home I had just let off the gas in 2nd in traffic and clicked to go to 1st. It hesitated for a sec, then decides to shift, and no I wasn't anywhere near the limit of going to fast to get into first, the RPM lugged down for a sec, then shifted to 1st

I have also noticed that there have been a couple of times where a click up on the paddle was met with a slight delay before shifting. Never did that before.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #253
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I have since played around with comfort and sport settings with the adaptive suspension and there is still quite a bit of float on rebound. Sport+ is little better but still lacking IMO.

One thing to note is my DCT has had a couple of hiccups since the update, that it never had before. Today on my way home I had just let off the gas in 2nd in traffic and clicked to go to 1st. It hesitated for a sec, then decides to shift, and no I wasn't anywhere near the limit of going to fast to get into first, the RPM lugged down for a sec, then shifted to 1st

I have also noticed that there have been a couple of times where a click up on the paddle was met with a slight delay before shifting. Never did that before.
Your definition of "float" and mine are probably a bit different. A production car will never have as much control as something with aftermarket coilovers, and it shouldn't IMO. They didn't take the car to the "next level" if you will, but they fixed the minor error states that existed within the calibration, and the dampers now work with the steering properly to make the car more confidence inspiring.
      05-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #254
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20
Quote:

Your definition of "float" and mine are probably a bit different. A production car will never have as much control as something with aftermarket coilovers, and it shouldn't IMO. They didn't take the car to the "next level" if you will, but they fixed the minor error states that existed within the calibration, and the dampers now work with the steering properly to make the car more confidence inspiring.
I both agree and disagree with you. Most production cars won't handle as well as a coilover, however go take a ride in a stock TTRS or R8 with magnetic shocks. They may not have the adjustability of a coilover, but their damping/chassis control is every bit as good as a coilover.

I have had a 335i with KW V2 and my stock TTRS was just as good as those.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #255
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I both agree and disagree with you. Most production cars won't handle as well as a coilover, however go take a ride in a stock TTRS or R8 with magnetic shocks. They may not have the adjustability of a coilover, but their damping/chassis control is every bit as good as a coilover.

I have had a 335i with KW V2 and my stock TTRS was just as good as those.
I'm very familiar with Magneride, although I have not driven an MR-equipped Audi. That system is quite good as far as overall body control, but there are some downsides to it as well.
      05-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #256
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
I was scheduled to have the update today, but i've postponed it until more reviews come in.

As it stands with my 04/15 production date, my DCT performs flawless with lightning fast shifts (only issue is a very slight delay going from R to 1) and I actually enjoy the "balls to the wall" almost violent nature of the Sport + throttle response. I've grown accustomed to modulating the throttle so I don't really have a lot of the "jerkiness" issues any more. I would hate it if the beast was tamed.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #257
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex
I was scheduled to have the update today, but i've postponed it until more reviews come in.

As it stands with my 04/15 production date, my DCT performs flawless with lightning fast shifts (only issue is a very slight delay going from R to 1) and I actually enjoy the "balls to the wall" almost violent nature of the Sport + throttle response. I've grown accustomed to modulating the throttle so I don't really have a lot of the "jerkiness" issues any more. I would hate it if the beast was tamed.
If you are happy with the car, you should pass. I wouldn't risk it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #258
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post

The R to 1 delay was there on my E90 M3 as well. It was fixed with the DCT tune I got from BPM back then. But I would take that delay any day over delay between 1-2-3-4-5-6

You mentioned you were scheduled to have the update. What reason did you give, if any?

Thanks.

Ricky.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #259
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Where and how did you get an X6 loaner for doing this software update, I am in the bay area as well
Definitely not San Rafael (formerly Sonnen) BMW. Whenever I brought my car in there for service they stuck me in a rental Altima. God I hate that car.
      05-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #260
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I have to agree with both here. Sure it shouldn't be a race prep, but the previous version "Comfort" was unusable to me, as the car floated on slow transitions and felt wayword. After the update it is usable to me. Of course, all of this is personal preference and comes down to what feels right to you on the road, vs a race prep.
      05-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #261
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I was going to get this done car was built Feb 2016, but thinking about it there is nothing I really dislike about the car and I don't get this jerkiness people comment on, so I think I'll pass until I get a few more reviews.
      05-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #262
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Ok, I have only driven 100km w the updated 58.3 DME, DSC & ICM, as I said elsewhere, my gut feel: they tamed the beast... I'd say the car was temperamental before, now it behaves easier from a throttle/acceleration/traction viewpoint. If you are the "racer" type and prefer "temperamental, better stick with pre 58.x software. I have not made up my mind which I prefer as I haven't flashed the remaining ECUs yet and haven't coded the new 58.3 Euro2 MDM. My opinions could be because I am now on stock boring US MDM settings, but I believe someone else said that BMW may have reduced turbo boost or some other turbo parameters in low gears/rpm/...

Note 1: I had Euro2 MDM on 55.3 coded and now on stock US MDM 58.3.
Note 2: I only updated those three ECUs, next phase is VDC, GHAS, EGS, EPS, EKPM2
Note 3: I am an average driver, no track time or racing experience, so my subjective opinion may be off.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #263
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Ok, I have only driven 100km w the updated 58.3 DME, DSC & ICM, as I said elsewhere, my gut feel: they tamed the beast... I'd say the car was temperamental before, now it behaves easier from a throttle/acceleration/traction viewpoint. If you are the "racer" type and prefer "temperamental, better stick with pre 58.x software. I have not made up my mind which I prefer as I haven't flashed the remaining ECUs yet and haven't coded the new 58.3 Euro2 MDM. My opinions could be because I am now on stock boring US MDM settings, but I believe someone else said that BMW may have reduced turbo boost or some other turbo parameters in low gears/rpm/...

Note 1: I had Euro2 MDM on 55.3 coded and now on stock US MDM 58.3.
Note 2: I only updated those three ECUs, next phase is VDC, GHAS, EGS, EPS, EKPM2
Note 3: I am an average driver, no track time or racing experience, so my subjective opinion may be off.
Hmmm.. this is making me nervous, I may hold off on the update also! So far I like the "temperamental" side!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #264
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
^^^^ nothing to be nervous about, if you are happy with your car, don't do anything. If you like to experiment and learn, do like I did... And honestly, regardless of how it behaves there's a large supply of piggies and tunes that will make it a monster and as I said it's a subjective opinion comparing apples w oranges!
Appreciate 0