Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #23
sherm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW M4

Wow great post.. Love the review because I was debating on getting an RS5 and chose the M4 solely on looks alone because I knew both cars are amazing when it comes to power and feel.
///M4 | Alpine White | Sakhir Orange Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim & Roof | DCT | Black 19" Wheels | Executive Package | Driver Assistance Plus Package | Adaptive M Suspension | Enhanced USB | Parking Assist | Harman Kardon
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Interesting review... I have been considering dumping my rs4 for the F80 M3 but am awaiting a test drive before signing on the dotted line.
      06-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

I think RS5 can't even compete with E9X...I can't imagine it being close in any category compared to new M4. Granted I have not driven M4 yet, that day comes up in a couple of weeks.

I did own 10 E92 M3 and drove 13 RS5. RS5 falls short in every category except maybe for interior or exterior looks. It is really not even close. RS5 is more like 2-seater M5 (those back seats are useless)...it's heavy but smooth and it is not dynamically close to E9X. It was a cool car and a nice change of pace but it simply does not come close to M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #26
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I too went and test drove an M4... it's the only one I saw around here. White with bunch of bells and whistles. I must say I like it a lot. RS5 is a nice and powerful car, but M4 is just so much more sporty and I love the feel of it.

I was so heated up, my adrenaline was running through... I wanted to get it right then and there. The MSRP is 80K on it... they wouldn't budge a penny down. They offered me 62K for my RS5. I told them My car and 15K, they didn't want to.

Oh well... i'll cool off and wait until the next year. I always told myself, never buy first year model... just wait, but after test driving it, I almost did an impulse buy.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Lets wait and see what audi comes up with. but I fear that once M3/M4 owners test a cayman/boxter gts they will regret it - unless its a 4/5 seater the prefered weapon of choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #28
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

The M4 looks stunning but it is on the loud side.

The RS5 is pure sex, looks stunning and aggressive without being loud!!!

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #29
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
I think RS5 can't even compete with E9X...I can't imagine it being close in any category compared to new M4. Granted I have not driven M4 yet, that day comes up in a couple of weeks.

I did own 10 E92 M3 and drove 13 RS5. RS5 falls short in every category except maybe for interior or exterior looks. It is really not even close. RS5 is more like 2-seater M5 (those back seats are useless)...it's heavy but smooth and it is not dynamically close to E9X. It was a cool car and a nice change of pace but it simply does not come close to M3.
+1 on track but on public roads and as a DD it is the opposite.

Quattro breaks every physics rule on how grippy it is, 317 vs 295 torque and 450 vs 414 Hp are +++ for the RS5 for anyone who wants to enjoy a fast car everyday without looking like a tool by doing burnout and drifting on every corner.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:

It's quotes like this that lead to these forums becoming fan boy wars. I for one am glad that everyone else that has posted thus far offered something constructive to say about both the RS5 and the M3/M4 rather than some blatantly inciteful fanboy rhetoric that is anything but true.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #31
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

The RS5 just looks more special, it really stands out, especially in Misano red.

My biggest issue with M3 is the lack of traction, can't really use all the torque and power.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #32
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Very nice review; thanks for that! I love the RS5
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
That's exactly how I feel but haven't saw the sedan yet. You just can't lose rs5 or f80 m3. Nice review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Great review, fair and balanced. Seriously. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
Thanks for the review!

Re: "The DCT felt good. Quick shifts but on upshifts under WOT were pretty rough. Feels like you get kicked in your back. Definitely wasn't feeling but since my E46 is a 6MT, I'd still opt for it."

I don't understand this... I rallied mine around all day and got pretty aggressive. The shifts happen so quick (in S3) that there's no time for lag / delay, etc. The shifts feel instantaneous to me.... they happen so quick they're not abrupt or a kick in the back?

I remember my SMG in my E60 M5 was much more abrupt....

Did you have it set to S3? Did you have all of your settings set to sport + etc?

Not trying to argue - just generally curious as this hasn't been my experience!
Yeah...no problem...

I had everything in Sport+ but honestly, I'm not sure if it was in S3 or not. What I can say for sure is, under WOT the up-shifts, albeit fast, we're kinda brutal and like a 'kick in the back' sorta speak. I noticed it immediately.

Hopefully, you're right and this is just a setting but there's no question it performed exactly how I just described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
great color combo. Nice review! The summer just got a whole lot better now! enjoy
Just a test drive but I'll be in one next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Nice write-up, like the immediate comparison of the two. Everyone should remember we are comparing a new model car to one that's been on the market for nearly 6 years now. The next RS5 will be out in no time, then the real comparisons can begin. Im a M4 guy all the way so I already know who to pull for.
Definitely! The RS5 is old compared to the M3/4 and I can't wait to see what Audi does with the B9!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Man, I just love a review from someone who is a true car enthusiast, not a brand enthusiast. Great write-up.
Thanks man!

I'm a true car head and have no brand loyalty whatsoever. However, it just so happens that BMW is my first true love and recently fell for Audi as well. Both manufactures make some great cars and I love what they both have to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Skye View Post
great comparison! I always loved the RS5. Love the clean lines of it and the detailing around the diffuser.
Heck of a stable of cars you got there btw!
My man....appreciate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
FTR, DCT can be adjusted so as not to be so violent
Ahhhh...ok cool. I figured as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm View Post
Wow great post.. Love the review because I was debating on getting an RS5 and chose the M4 solely on looks alone because I knew both cars are amazing when it comes to power and feel.
Can't go wrong either way!

Enjoy your M4 in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Interesting review... I have been considering dumping my rs4 for the F80 M3 but am awaiting a test drive before signing on the dotted line.
Go drive one. I think you'll be impressed with it.

Quote:

As I responded to you in another thread, fastestlaps.com has the RS5 beating the E92 on 12 of 15 laps and has 'The RS5 is noticeably faster' in it's conclusion.

I also have some track time in an E92 during the two day M School I attended in 2012, so, I'm very familiar with it....and the RS5 is a very comparable and deserving competitor.

You're obviously not an Audi fan and that's cool but all the hyperbole is a bit tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I too went and test drove an M4... it's the only one I saw around here. White with bunch of bells and whistles. I must say I like it a lot. RS5 is a nice and powerful car, but M4 is just so much more sporty and I love the feel of it.

I was so heated up, my adrenaline was running through... I wanted to get it right then and there. The MSRP is 80K on it... they wouldn't budge a penny down. They offered me 62K for my RS5. I told them My car and 15K, they didn't want to.

Oh well... i'll cool off and wait until the next year. I always told myself, never buy first year model... just wait, but after test driving it, I almost did an impulse buy.
Patience my friend. Patience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
The M4 looks stunning but it is on the loud side.

The RS5 is pure sex, looks stunning and aggressive without being loud!!!
I tend to agree with this assessment of the two.

And, I think the M3 falls somewhere in the middle...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #33
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Saw your post in audizine but figured I'd post here:

I imagine there will be a DCT software update to smooth out the shifts and I also expect it to smoothen as the the car breaks in and the ECU learns your driving style.

How was the traction control system in the M3? This is my biggest gripe with BMW. Their traction control inteferes too much and it's very noticeable. Contrast that with Audi's which is barely noticeable and usually helps you rather than pull you back.

How did you like the paddles of the m3 vs the RS5? R they on the steering wheel or the column?

I'm also not a fan of the new M3s gauges. They look extremely boring...can you comment on that? I love the RS5s.

I'm not yet 100% convinced it is worth swapping the RS5 for but certainly options like full leather, HUD, and sakhir orange leather give it a slight edge. I believe the real world performance delta won't be that much greater than the RS5 except for the torque of course even if the paper test results say otherwise.

Overall the new M3 looks like a solid car. I can't wait to get behind the wheel. Thanks for the unbiased review!
The traction control came on a couple times but that was only during hard acceleration and up-shifts. Didn't interfere anywhere else.

Definitely preferred the paddles on the M3. They were on the wheel and much taller and sportier looking than the RS'. Very similar to the look in the GT-R and I like that much better.

Not sure if the + and - symbols illuminate like the RS5's. I do like that a lot.

As far as the gauges, I've always been a big fan of the simplicity of BMW's instrument cluster. I think they've taken a few cues from Audi with more technical info integration into the center and bottom of the display.

The RS5's might be a slightly more appealing but nothing I care to much about. Now, on the S6? That's a whole different conversation! That has to be the nicest, sexiest, functional, etc instrument cluster display on the market! At night it is sooooo nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #34
raffyg2388
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i I6

Thanks for the insight. I read another review somewhere that the motor was like a hybrid of a f10 m5 and e90 m3. You explaining about revving to a pretty high redline and noticing the torque down below makes me believe that statement. Seems like a badass motor. Congrats and enjoy. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #35
omegaSMP300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S, Boxster GTS, R8 V10+

Nice write up.
2017 R8 V10 Plus, 2016 Boxster GTS, 2015 Macan S, 2015 V12 Vantage S - Pending Sale, 2013 911 C4S - Sold, 2012 V8 Vantage S - Sold, 2013 DB9 - Sold, 2011 997.2 Targa 4s - Sold, 2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Sold, 2013 981 Boxster S - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2010 E60 M5 - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2011.5 E90 M3 - Sold, 2006 325i - Sold, 2004 Mazda6 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #36
USE Z4S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited

Nice to see a reasoned analysis from someone who has spent time behind the wheel of the two cars he is comparing (unlike some who have painted themselves into a corner one way or the other without driving an M3/M4). Credible, objective and helpful, thank you.
      06-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #37
christof30
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 320d Xdrive EstorilBlueII

fully loved with the m4..looks amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #38
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

nice write-up - thanks for taking the time and congrats on being an expectant father (I think?).

I agree with all of what you said, but I think you might be underselling the M's DCT - it's as quick as anything - and the comparison to the RS5. I think the M would have more than a car on the RS5 in a race to 100 (they'd be close from a dig to about 60mph, then I think the M really starts pulling).

love the RS5 though. as much as I like the looks of the new M's, and I like their aggressiveness, they don't have the class and presence of the RS5. the RS5 just looks like a more expensive car. for instance, I think the valet parking attendants would be more likely to park the RS5 in front than the F80.

thanks for the review. I'm also hoping to get into an F80 sometime next year after I buy a bigger house (and garage) to make room for my growing family as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #39
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Walter De'Silva hit a home run on the A/S/RS-5. I owned a S5 manual and although the E92 may be tiny bit better on ttack I would have bought the RS-5 but audi offered no manual tranny. Ces't La Vie...

BTW I love my M3 BTW!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #40
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
So, I went by BMW of Silver Spring after work for my turn in the MG M3 and made sure I drove my RS5 so that I could get an immediate, back to back impression of M3 and as I drove the RS5 home.

Here's a few pics...

I meant to get down there to BMW of Silver Spring this past Sat. That MG is great color...sleeper, but once you notice it, it really pops. Plus the rims as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
great comparison! Love your RS5 too! MG is a great color, are you going to buy it?

Not understanding everyones bias towards the E46 M3's steering. The ratio was so slow on that thing (slower than the standard 3 series of the time) that it ruined the overall feedback and feel of the chassis to me. IHMO, not the best M3 steering rack I've driven, and worse than the E36 that preceded it. Having owned both, the E9x is a step above in rack response + road feel + tire feedback compared to it. But it must just be me?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #42
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I liked this post until the part about gearboxes - you are on crack cociane laced with pixie dust if you think that the stronic is anywhere near as good as DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #43
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
I liked this post until the part about gearboxes - you are on crack cociane laced with pixie dust if you think that the stronic is anywhere near as good as DCT
I think he's saying that DCT felt harsher than DSG. I have also found this to be true. Most reviews have very high praise for DSG in the Audis. Porsche's PDK is clearly the best, but between Audi's and BMW's DCT it's just a matter of taste/preference. The DSG in my RS5 feels like firing off a semi-auto assault rifle every time I shift. And it fires as fast as you can pull the trigger. So I don't the OP is on crack cocaine at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #44
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I had a 2010 S4, and while there were things I Iiked about it, for some reason it just didn't feel as refined as any BMW I've owned. I know people praise Audi for their interiors, but I personally like BMW better in terms of refinement and quality. The Audis leather felt thin, and controls felt fragile in comparison. The engine was terrific in the S4. I have always loved the linear power band supercharged engines provide. I'm a bit surprised superchargers aren't used more often, though BMW has really made leaps and bounds toward eliminating turbo lag, so I can see why they have stuck with them.
Overall, Audi has really come a long way over the past decade. Having stepped up their game both technologically, and in the performance department.
Though, I personally favor the driving experience BMW's provide. You really can not go wrong with either, as they are both terrific in their own right, and I love the direction they are heading.
I think it is because of this healthy competition between them (in addition of course with Merc, Lexus, etc...) that is providing us with a truly excellent time to be an automotive enthusiast!
Appreciate 0