GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-06-2024, 08:14 PM   #1
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Help. Spinning square nut nightmare during headlight removal

Hope some can help me here as I’m in a jam

I’m swapping over rhd to LHD headlights and I’d watched so many videos I was familiar with all the 8mm and T30 etc. got the bumper off in 20 minutes. Happy days.

The nightmare started with the under headlight bolt assembly that have a square 10mm nut that is loctite to the torx 30 and just spins

I got one off with a long nose pliers but no matter what I do the other one won’t budge.

My last idea is to drill off the top of the T30 and then replace the entire nut and bolt assembly.

I’m in Germany so not a single shop open on a Sunday. If I had a dremel I’d have it off by now but I’ve only got a standard drill with new drill bits.

Photos below show the head of the bolt I want to drill off

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 09:59 AM   #2
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Can you push the headlight towards the rear to put some pressure on it? That's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 10:06 AM   #3
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
Can you push the headlight towards the rear to put some pressure on it? That's what I did.
I was seconds away from drilling the left hand side bolt but then I managed to drill off some the plastic and squeezed in a 10mm spanner.

Why these bolts are loctited and so tight I don’t know.

Crazy thing is I had wheels, arch liners and front bumper off in 25 mins. And then got stuck for hours on that bolt as I had no long nose pliers.

I underestimated how tricky it can be to line up shut line to bonnet but then realised headlights were sitting too low and as outer edges of top part of bumper attach to the headlight the bumper was being dragged down

Only niggle is there is something small on the left side of bumper but managed to get it lined up ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:03 AM   #4
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

You can below how I just managed to hack in 10mm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 01:30 PM   #5
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post
I was seconds away from drilling the left hand side bolt but then I managed to drill off some the plastic and squeezed in a 10mm spanner.

Why these bolts are loctited and so tight I don’t know.

Crazy thing is I had wheels, arch liners and front bumper off in 25 mins. And then got stuck for hours on that bolt as I had no long nose pliers.

I underestimated how tricky it can be to line up shut line to bonnet but then realised headlights were sitting too low and as outer edges of top part of bumper attach to the headlight the bumper was being dragged down

Only niggle is there is something small on the left side of bumper but managed to get it lined up ok.
I had the same problem when fitting my front mount intake. Had the headlights out and struggled for hours to get everything aligned. Unless you have done it many times there is always a wrinkle, even on simple jobs. Bolts on this car seem way too rust prime. I had to cut a lot off and drill out.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 01:42 PM   #6
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
I had the same problem when fitting my front mount intake. Had the headlights out and struggled for hours to get everything aligned. Unless you have done it many times there is always a wrinkle, even on simple jobs. Bolts on this car seem way too rust prime. I had to cut a lot off and drill out.
It’s my first time doing anything like as as the wings and bonnet didn’t move I couldn’t understand how the bumper was so off as I used the washer nut marks at top of the bumper as a reference.

Buy when I looks how the bracket hiding the front of the headlight meets the bumper as a mount I loosened off all four headlight bolts and positioned it and then it was much better.

Left hand side of bumper is sitting out a touch but I couldn’t take it all again. As the spinning nut nearly broke me. I had to go and bed two different hotel concierge desks for a long nose pliers at 0030!

Second hotel was a life saver
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 07:22 PM   #7
NorthernM3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Can you elaborate more on the wrench method?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 03:25 AM   #8
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
Can you elaborate more on the wrench method?
As the square nut seemed seized to the bolt holding it with long nose pliers was tricky

It worked straight away on right hand side but I must be trying for 30 mins on the left side and was so exasperated I decided to to try to drill out the nut

But then I tried to get the head of the 10mm spanner in one last time

Up to that point I had used a small drill bit to hack away the plastic on the headlight bracket to help get the spanner in.

So it was when I started to flex the headlight with one hand I was able to push in the head of the spanner and it was such a great feeling!

Then the next part was very important as breaking the thread lock was the part to focus on.

So holding the spanner really secure and square and the ratchet pushing in and towards the nut I built up torque gradually and the boom! It unlocked!

Crazy that the longest part of changing the head lights was one square nut.

As I’ve never taken off a bumper of headlights. Getting the front bumper panel gap perfect was down to the inner mounting points of the lights.

So try to use the previous washer marks as a reference point.

Let me know if you need any more help
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:46 PM   #9
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

I went at mine when I did my Euro spec Ikon with a hand driven wrench, no issues at all. The lower two bolts have lock tight on them because the lower headlight assemblies have self leveling washers in them.
Meaning: Back the bolt out, the washer extends and pushes the headlight upwards.
Tighten the bolt, the washer moves forward lowering the headlight.
This is key to leveling the bumper.
Do not go at these with a power tool and they should be the first bolts you remove.
      04-21-2024, 10:54 PM   #10
NorthernM3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
As the square nut seemed seized to the bolt holding it with long nose pliers was tricky

It worked straight away on right hand side but I must be trying for 30 mins on the left side and was so exasperated I decided to to try to drill out the nut

But then I tried to get the head of the 10mm spanner in one last time

Up to that point I had used a small drill bit to hack away the plastic on the headlight bracket to help get the spanner in.

So it was when I started to flex the headlight with one hand I was able to push in the head of the spanner and it was such a great feeling!

Then the next part was very important as breaking the thread lock was the part to focus on.

So holding the spanner really secure and square and the ratchet pushing in and towards the nut I built up torque gradually and the boom! It unlocked!

Crazy that the longest part of changing the head lights was one square nut.

As I’ve never taken off a bumper of headlights. Getting the front bumper panel gap perfect was down to the inner mounting points of the lights.

So try to use the previous washer marks as a reference point.

Let me know if you need any more help
I ended up just going ape mode on the bolt head with locking pliers and fatigued the bolt enough to snap apart. Savage method but only thing that worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
I went at mine when I did my Euro spec Ikon with a hand driven wrench, no issues at all. The lower two bolts have lock tight on them because the lower headlight assemblies have self leveling washers in them.
Meaning: Back the bolt out, the washer extends and pushes the headlight upwards.
Do not go at these with a power tool and they should be the first bolts you remove.
Sound advice here, will do this for re-installation.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 01:19 AM   #11
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
Sound advice here, will do this for re-installation.
I can relate to going in to ape mode.

I was cursing and shouting at it. God only knows what German neighbours thought!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:28 AM   #12
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Did the square nut spin when you were undoing the bottom bolts?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:15 AM   #13
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Did the square nut spin when you were undoing the bottom bolts?
No. The bolts removed without issue. Did you use a hand wrench or a power tool?
      04-22-2024, 05:20 AM   #14
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
No. The bolts removed without issue. Did you use a hand wrench or a power tool?
I’m trying to remember as it was very late at night.

When trying to get it out for ages I was using a 3/8 inch ratchet with an extension

But it’s quite likely that I used the power tool that was so handy removing all the arch liners

So given how I was able to build the torque when I finally got the 10mm spanner on it and then it popped and broke the locked thread

I can see how a power tool could just make it spin

So am I right in thinking that the 3 hours of misery was all self inflicted!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:02 PM   #15
dallastide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2019 X3

Hit it with your purse.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:38 PM   #16
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastide View Post
Hit it with your purse.
Hitting something with a purse usually gets a person in line, but I doubt it would've resolved the OP's issue.
      04-22-2024, 04:42 PM   #17
dallastide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2019 X3

Quote:
Hitting something with a purse usually gets a person in line, but I doubt it would've resolved the OP's issue.
It's a pretty common mechanic's joke
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:21 PM   #18
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastide View Post
It's a pretty common mechanic's joke
Never heard of that. In the industrial refrigeration side of mechanics we just say, "you go girl"