R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

08-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #45
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

^I feel like 99% of the replies have never sold salvaged cars before. I have... 4 already. I also know many people and body shops that make a living off buying and selling salvaged cars.

KBB put's it the most accurately "A salvaged, reconstructed or otherwise "clouded" title has a permanent negative effect on the value of a vehicle. The industry rule of thumb is to deduct 20% to 40% of the Blue Book value, but salvage title vehicles really should be privately appraised on a case-by-case basis in order to determine their market value."

The value of the car depends on the damage and how well it was repaired. If the damage was light and the shop that repaired it did a good job and has a strong reputation then you are looking at 20% off the KBB value. Personally, I've never sold any of mine below 20% off KBB.

If you look at this post here (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1411291) you'll see that the OP has pretty bad damage and in my opinion should be totaled but no one is judging this owners car and it's damage. The OP in the current thread is looking at a car with far less damage (I have seen the accident pictures) and everyone is judging because of the "salvage" label put on the car. Many insurance adjusters don't know the difference between what should and shouldn't be salvaged.

In regards to salvaged cars depreciating more over time versus clean titled cars, I would have to disagree based off of personal experience and the various dealers that I have worked for and with over the years. The salvaged car will always sell for less than the clean car but it will not depreciate faster.

In regards to difficulty of reselling a salvaged car... Yes, it is harder to resell your salvaged car than a clean title car. But they do sell.

Someone mentioned that you can't get full insurance coverage on a salvaged car---FALSE. I have full coverage, many insurance companies offer full coverage. Geico is one of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #46
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

If you are thinking salvaged, then you don't have comfortable income to support this purchase. End of thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #47
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

No not really? Never assume. People that buy salvage almost always pay upfront cash deals. If you're buying an M4 salvaged I doubt income is an issue...You own your car versus just leasing (like most do)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #48
teemolovesm4
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Never buy used car with any sort of accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #49
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemolovesm4 View Post
And thus pay more or be in the market for a long while.
Not saying you are wrong, it's just your opinion, but as a person who was hit a few times, there is nothing wrong if due to accident your bumper cover is replaced.
Should the price of the car be slightly less then equal car w/o accident? of course, but to say any sort of accident is a no-no is just too much IMO.
Regarding salvage title, my brother bought 11 month old salvaged/rebuilt X5 in 2008. Still drives it. Great car. He did have to correct a few things after purchase. But he got the car for 30k when MSRP was over 70k. I think he put about 6-8k into fixes over time. He is happy.
Anyway, buyer must examine the accident details and understand what was fixed in a totaled car. Then access if he/she is willing to deal with that. I m sure there are happy owners of salvaged cars otherwise this business would be dead.
      08-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #50
teemolovesm4
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Not saying you are wrong, it's just your opinion, but as a person who was hit a few times, there is nothing wrong if due to accident your bumper cover is replaced.
Should the price of the car be slightly less then equal car w/o accident? of course, but to say any sort of accident is a no-no is just too much IMO.
Regarding salvage title, my brother bought 11 month old salvaged/rebuilt X5 in 2008. Still drives it. Great car. He did have to correct a few things after purchase. But he got the car for 30k when MSRP was over 70k. I think he put about 6-8k into fixes over time. He is happy.
Anyway, buyer must examine the accident details and understand what was fixed in a totaled car. Then access if he/she is willing to deal with that. I m sure there are happy owners of salvaged cars otherwise this business would be dead.
Well, in my opinion, at least original paint is really important, there's no body shop can make their paint job better than factory condition. Give your painted bumper more time to corrupt, eventually you will see what I mean. Probably you will tell me that it's only the plastic bumper, my car is not gonna rust balabala... It doesn't worth the risk to save few thousand dollars to buy a car with accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #51
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, in my opinion, at least original paint is really important, there's no body shop can make their paint job better than factory condition. Give your painted bumper more time to corrupt, eventually you will see what I mean. Probably you will tell me that it's only the plastic bumper, my car is not gonna rust balabala... It doesn't worth the risk to save few thousand dollars to buy a car with accident.
Well you obviously have very particular requirements so it is ok. With a regular used car, you will will pay a couple grand more (or more) for clean car, with salvaged cars the difference is in 10s of thousands. My bro saved >60% but of course it was a risk and he had to put some $$$ into the car later on.
      08-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #52
teemolovesm4
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well you obviously have very particular requirements so it is ok. With a regular used car, you will will pay a couple grand more (or more) for clean car, with salvaged cars the difference is in 10s of thousands. My bro saved >60% but of course it was a risk and he had to put some $$$ into the car later on.
True, anyways I buy my cars brand new. Water is too deep for me in used market.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #53
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

plenty of low mileage 2015's for mid 40's. why settle for salvaged?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #54
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
plenty of low mileage 2015's for mid 40's. why settle for salvaged?
Where do you see that??
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread