R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
cardemax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Santorini Blue E92 M3

Mix and Matching Springs

I ordered the Macht Schnell Springs. I want to change the from springs to lower it a bit and get rid of the large wheel gap. The rear however is perfect in my opinion. Is it fine if I just change the front springs to Macht Schnell and leave the rear stock springs or will that affect the balance of the car because of different spring compressions among other things? Asking for a friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
cardemax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Santorini Blue E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardemax View Post
I ordered the Macht Schnell Springs. I want to change the from springs to lower it a bit and get rid of the large wheel gap. The rear however is perfect in my opinion. Is it fine if I just change the front springs to Macht Schnell and leave the rear stock springs or will that affect the balance of the car because of different spring compressions among other things? Asking for a friend.
*I want to change the front
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

No it's not ok to do that, they are made to work all together with calculated spring rate and ride height

Install the complete kit or leave it stock
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

People freak out all the time about just installing front springs. Truth is it’s not a big deal as most of these lowering springs aren’t massively stiffer such that it will upset the balance too much. People have a knee jerk reaction to things they may not have even tried. Hell if you ask a BMW suspension engineer, they’d probably tell you that most of these spring only kits are dangerous.

Me personally? I’ve lowered every single car I’ve owned. I’ve had aftermarket springs, springs and shocks, and full coilovers. I’ve also tried totally janky stuff like cut stock springs, heated springs, and use spring clamps on stock springs. I’ve installed eibachs and cut the fronts by 1 coil to get the stance I wanted.

Within reason the only thing I’d strongly warn against is heating springs to lower the car. Short of that, as long as you’re not going too crazy, the car will be OK. Moderation is key. Case in point, H&R super sport springs are a matched pair but downright dangerous b/c of their excessive lowering.

With that said, I personally would never go with just front springs only... but I also think KW HAS and BMW’s version on stock springs are just as bad in the long run. It kills the damping prematurely wearing out the stock shocks and the car eventually rides and handles like trash... yet, people still love their set ups.

So, my point is, as long as the macht schnell front springs are not massively lower than stock (say no more than 1” lower) and spring rates are not significantly higher than stock, you will be fine pairing them with stock rear springs... certainly not significantly worse than running any spring kit on stock springs IMO.

Oh and what about handling balance? Well if you increase the front spring rate and shift weight distribution more forward, what happens? Car understeers more... certainly safer than doing things that would make the car more prone to oversteer. But, who cares? It’s all about the stance, right? That’s the whole point of this endeavor... to close that godawful front gap. I’m just as guilty as even with my coilover set up, my front is lowered more than the rear b/c I want that look more than I care about handling.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

On second thought, you have a 30th anniversary M3! Baller! Stock fucking around w/ springs, get a proper coilover suspension and set ride height exactly as you like the right way.
Appreciate 0