Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

02-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #89
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Killjoy: I think you are taking this a little too seriously. Just a fun marketing stunt from BMW. Seems to be working given the discussion. Many like me appreciate seeing this like this. There isn't a message here that only the M4 can do hoon in the snow.

A little OT but can't resist... I am in my 11th winter in an M3 and seen almost anything you can imagine driving every day and never gotten stuck/spunout/whatever. A RWD drive car with snow tires will never match an AWD car with the same tires, but the primary difference is traction from a stop. No difference when it comes to braking and not a lot when it comes to turning, so don't buy the margin of safety argument.
Agreed, I am on my 13th winter with an M3 and it has never been an issue.

Once you get comfortable with the "waltz" of a RWD, it's a boot to drive in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #90
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
If you are saying that you shouldn't drive a RWD car with winter tires in the snow (as is the case with the M4 in the OP), then I respectfully disagree with you. There are loads of both RWD and FWD cars driven in much worse conditions where I live. Yes, the crowd that goes up to their cabin in the mountains every weekend usually drives SUV's. But I see nothing against driving a RWD car through the winter, especially with DSC.

And AWD doesn't add safety under braking or cornering. It offers better traction under acceleration and gets you up the hills. It will also usually be better if you should choose to accelerate and turn the steering wheel at the same time (like accelerating in a corner). What AWD does is impose a feeling of safety, as you you have better traction while going up a hill or when accelerating. That is a signal the driver interprets to mean that he has good grip and increases speed. But AWD doesn't give you shorter braking distance or more cornering grip for instance, so if you drive faster because of AWD then... And research has found that many drivers of AWD cars actually do drive faster because of that sense of more safety.
Very true.

During the first snow storm of the year, it is mostly SUVs you see in the ditch
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #91
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
looks great!!! I was wondering what settings you should put the car in to maximize performance in the snow? (EDC, traction control and power settings) What do you guys use?
I reprogram my M-mode (M button) like so for the winter:

DSC: MDM
Servotronic: Normal
EDC: Comfort
DCT: S2
Throttle: Normal

I have Euro MDM coded and I find it just perfect for winter driving. It provides just enough slip to maximize traction in the snow and allows enough of the back end to step out to be able to tighten turns while keeping a safety net. I do like to turn DSC off entirely on occasion for some real sideways fun though .
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #92
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd
looks great!!! I was wondering what settings you should put the car in to maximize performance in the snow? (EDC, traction control and power settings) What do you guys use?
Best is Press the M button and set throttle to normal. Not sur about shocks, but I usually set on soft unless there is a lot of very rough bumps
      02-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #93
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

thanks fellas I'll try that
      02-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #94
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd
Best is Press the M button and set throttle to normal. Not sur about shocks, but I usually set on soft unless there is a lot of very rough bumps
Do you have MDM activated as well.

I'm wondering if this might be the best route so that it will allow more wheel spin before traction kicks in.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #95
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Need Wallpaper Size!!!