Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Car way down on power - close to service interval

Odd question...

I have my M3 going in for service on Wednesday. I'm right at my required service interval.

I've noticed that as I got closer to the service interval that the reduced RPM limit on start up has been hanging around for longer and has been even more restrictive. The car was around 5,000rpm red line when I fired it up this morning.

The car also sat for the last week as I was away from home.

I'm running JB4 map 1 90% of the time. Driving the car around today and it feels like a complete dog. It's slower than a civic.

So, question is - will the DME turn the car into a slug if you are right close to your service interval? If you go over, will it do the same?

I'm going to go to Map 0 after work today and fart around, see how it feels. I'll also have it on Map 0 when it goes in for service on Wednesday.

Also - before anyone calls me a dummy for waiting so long or extending the service interval. Oil was changed with AMSoil 0-30 about 3 weeks ago prior to heading to Shift Sector in Oregon which was 3,000km early. I've put almost 6,000 hwy kms on the car in the last month and made sure the oil was fresh as can be prior to beating the piss out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post
Odd question...

I have my M3 going in for service on Wednesday. I'm right at my required service interval.

I've noticed that as I got closer to the service interval that the reduced RPM limit on start up has been hanging around for longer and has been even more restrictive. The car was around 5,000rpm red line when I fired it up this morning.

I'm running JB4 map 1 90% of the time. Driving the car around today and it feels like a complete dog. It's slower than a civic.

So, question is - will the DME turn the car into a slug if you are right close to your service interval? If you go over, will it do the same?

I'm going to go to Map 0 after work today and fart around, see how it feels. I'll also have it on Map 0 when it goes in for service on Wednesday.

Also - before anyone calls me a dummy for waiting so long or extending the service interval. Oil was changed with AMSoil 0-30 about 3 weeks ago prior to heading to Shift Sector in Oregon which was 3,000km early. I've put almost 6,000 hwy kms on the car in the last month and made sure the oil was fresh as can be prior to beating the piss out of the car.
No it won't. It'll just keep annoying you until you get it done. Has it been getting colder where you're at? As for it feeling underpowered, run Map 0. If the car works great then it's the JB4. If it still runs like crap then I'd recommend you take off the JB4 before you service and have them start looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
No it won't. It'll just keep annoying you until you get it done. Has it been getting colder where you're at? As for it feeling underpowered, run Map 0. If the car works great then it's the JB4. If it still runs like crap then I'd recommend you take off the JB4 before you service and have them start looking into it.
Yah, will run Map 0 on the way home and see what it does.

it is definitely a bit colder than what it was a few weeks ago when I parked it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Did you crack a charge pipe or did the intercooler pop off? Losing boost?
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-M4 View Post
Did you crack a charge pipe or did the intercooler pop off? Losing boost?
don't have logging capability yet, have my bluetooth adaptor that just showed up and will be throwing it on this week.

I have the gas gauge set up as a boost gauge and it was at about 3/4 (whatever psi or bar that means) and it felt like crap.

Charge pipe or something could be it, will take a quick gander in a bit.

I drove it Friday night but it was raining and I didn't get on it so I can't remember if it did it Friday night as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Odd question...

Your engine oil service has nothing to do with how your car is performing.
A log of your JB4 would give some insight on your car is actually running.
As for the charge pipe, if it was cracked you would have a"Check Engine" malfunction light on.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yah, will run Map 0 on the way home and see what it does.

it is definitely a bit colder than what it was a few weeks ago when I parked it.
How's the car working now? (crossing fingers)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep

All good -

My guess is that it was long term fuel trim issues and the car sat for a week.

I ran a full tank of 91 Octane hand mixed to 91 + 20-25% ethanol for a full tank. Then straight 91 Shell from Oregon which is roughly 4-6% ethanol and then a fresh tank of Chevron 94 octane in Canada which is 0% ethanol.

I'm guessing the car was trying to sort out why the fuel quality was all over the map.
Appreciate 0