Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-21-2024, 11:10 AM   #1
savannahz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert

F83 - Car Shakes with Top Down - Fine with Top Up

Hey,

Hope a vert owner has experienced this before...I've had the car for 20k miles and run the same daily route to work and back every day. I needed to replace the rear tires and went with Michelin AS4. Since then, I've experienced what feels like a tire imbalance between 70-80mph and it's smooth over and under those numbers. I went to one bmw dealership after having the tires put on at Costco and had them rebalanced and an alignment performed. The shake persisted. I then waited a few months and took it yesterday and had them rebalanced at another bmw dealership. Unfortunately, the shake is still present. Both dealers found what they said were enough grams off to have a problem.

-there isn't any vibration in the steering wheel

-with the top up it's glass smooth at all speeds.

Car has 41k miles and is a 2016

Are there any bushings or braces I should be checking? It really seems like the tires since it started at that time.

All help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 12:48 PM   #2
JBM4
Private
Rep
Drives: M4CS

Have you checked to see if the wheels are ok with no noticeable bends or anything like that?

Are you using the same brand tire all around?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:59 PM   #3
savannahz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert

Hey, the fronts are Michelin AS3. I noticed today and yesterday the car was smooth at all speeds when I first left the dealer (forgot to mention this detail) and today when I left work. The tires were cold from sitting. It seems they don't vibrate until after the tires warm up. I also noticed that my right rear tire was hotter, per the vehicle status display, than the other tires and the psi was slightly higher. The right from was 84 and the right rear was 93. The driver rear was 89 and the front right was 93 (it's always the hottest).

Thanks
Appreciate 0