ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Question Relocate Front Brakes (Calipers/Rotors) to Rear?

Has anyone upgraded their front brakes (calipers and rotors) and relocated their front brakes (4-pot) to the rear? Is it doable without any major modifications involved? This is assuming a 19" wheel setup as a minimum.

The front "4-pot blue calipers" look identical to the CCB rear calipers. The only difference based on some searches is the thickness of the rotors by 2mm.

Iron Rotors (Stock):
- Front = 380mm x 30mm + 4-piston OEM Brembo calipers
- Rear = 370mm x 24mm + 2-piston OEM Brembo calipers

CCB (Optional):
- Front = 400mm x 38mm + 6-piston OEM Brembo calipers
- Rear = 380mm x 28mm + 4-piston OEM Brembo calipers

I'm just curious if anyone has successfully done this and what modifications (if any) was involved. Pics would be great!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Has anyone upgraded their front brakes (calipers and rotors) and relocated their front brakes (4-pot) to the rear? Is it doable without any major modifications involved? This is assuming a 19" wheel setup as a minimum.

The front "4-pot blue calipers" look identical to the CCB rear calipers. The only difference based on some searches is the thickness of the rotors by 2mm.

Iron Rotors (Stock):
- Front = 380mm x 30mm + 4-piston OEM Brembo calipers
- Rear = 370mm x 24mm + 2-piston OEM Brembo calipers

CCB (Optional):
- Front = 400mm x 38mm + 6-piston OEM Brembo calipers
- Rear = 380mm x 28mm + 4-piston OEM Brembo calipers

I'm just curious if anyone has successfully done this and what modifications (if any) was involved. Pics would be great!
I don't think the front rotors will work at all In the rear. The emergency brake sits in rear rotor hat.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkite View Post
I don't think the front rotors will work at all In the rear. The emergency brake sits in rear rotor hat.
Ah, that's good to know. So technically you can move the front calipers (assuming it clears your wheels) to the rear but not the rotors?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkite View Post
Ah, that's good to know. So technically you can move the front calipers (assuming it clears your wheels) to the rear but not the rotors?
I would look at the thicknesses of the factory rotors also. That will tell u if the calipers can even be thought about. The front rotors are probably a lot thicker then the rear. Usually front and rear brakes are have different designs. Honestly I think you are wasting brain power on something like this. I've heard the M5 brakes fit maybe that's a viable option for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
elmerzasty
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Thats totally not true, it a different design and - most importantly - a massive difference in piston sizes. Car would be undriveable.

Worth noting that CCB calipers (both front and rear) have almost identical piston areas to the 4/2-pot "blue" setup.
Appreciate 0