proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Correct Pagid RS29 pad for StopTech ST60s?

Need some help here. I'm going round and round with a vendor trying to get my StopTech BBKs sorted out.

I placed my order online on 18 October. Around 1 Nov my stuff shipped. When it arrived, I discovered they had sent me the wrong rotors (slotted, even thou I requested cross drilled), so I removed all of the rotor hats and sent back just the discs per their instructions. After receiving them, it took a week for their returns department to inspect the rotors and authorized new ones to be shipped.

Well guess what...the replacement rotors that arrived today don't fit. I originally had wide annulus discs and they sent me standard annulus. I also discovered I received ST41 rear brakes instead of ST40s, and the difference is shocking. The ST41s are basically the same size pad as stock.

So, back goes all four rotors again, the front Pagid pads, and the entire rear brake kit.

So, brake gurus and vendors, can you help me nail down which Pagid RS29 pads I need to fit the wide annulus rotors? The RS29s I received are for standard annulus, and I'm giving up some pad size if I use them. They fit the ST60 caliper, though.

If I can't find Pagids to fit the front correctly, I might just give up on this whole project and go after some Brembos.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Need some help here. I'm going round and round with a vendor trying to get my StopTech BBKs sorted out.

I placed my order online on 18 October. Around 1 Nov my stuff shipped. When it arrived, I discovered they had sent me the wrong rotors (slotted, even thou I requested cross drilled), so I removed all of the rotor hats and sent back just the discs per their instructions. After receiving them, it took a week for their returns department to inspect the rotors and authorized new ones to be shipped.

Well guess what...the replacement rotors that arrived today don't fit. I originally had wide annulus discs and they sent me standard annulus. I also discovered I received ST41 rear brakes instead of ST40s, and the difference is shocking. The ST41s are basically the same size pad as stock.

So, back goes all four rotors again, the front Pagid pads, and the entire rear brake kit.

So, brake gurus and vendors, can you help me nail down which Pagid RS29 pads I need to fit the wide annulus rotors? The RS29s I received are for standard annulus, and I'm giving up some pad size if I use them. They fit the ST60 caliper, though.

If I can't find Pagids to fit the front correctly, I might just give up on this whole project and go after some Brembos.
Stoptech has wide and narrow annulus rotors for the same BBK on the F chassis? ST60 pad should be just ST60 pad, as far as I know, all interchange.

Who is your vendor anyway? I can't see how they can get it wrong on the rather simply ST60.

PAU1903.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Thanks to ashmostro, I was able to clarify a few things regarding my BBKs. The vendor I used shipped me rear BBKs with ST-41 calipers, even though their website said they should be shipping me ST-40s (which use larger pads). Thanks to ashmostro, I have confirmation that ST-41s are correct. OK, so that's the rear brakes sorted.

The next problem was that my vendor provided standard annulus (SA) rotors in an application that requires wide annulus (WA), so my rotor hats don't fit. The pads are also different widths (same exact length, and similar thickness). The below pics show the size different between the StopTech WA pads and the Pagid SA pads. Most (if not all) aftermarket pads are SA-sized. Only StopTech appears to provide the WA pads, and only in a few compounds.

I am going to experiment using an F30 hat to get the SA rotors (sized 380x32mm) to fit on the front. If they don't, then I'll be forced to use the WA hats I already have and the WA rotors I've ordered, and won't maximize the swept area of the rotor with the RS29 pads. I really like the RS29s, so it would be great to find a WA fitment.

WA pads on SA rotors:

Comparison of StopTech WA pads (on bottom) and Pagid SA pads (on top, in yellow):

Here are the SA rotors and the WA hats that don't fit correctly:

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

All current F8x kits are shipped with the ST41 calipers
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

That looks like the correct pad shape (in Yellow) ST60 is FMSI 1247. Pagid RS29 is now Pagid RSL29.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 05:26 AM   #6
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

FWIW I am running SA pad shape on my kit since the race pads don’t come in the WA configuration. Yes, I am using less of the swept area but I have not experienced any issues with bias or under braking. It’s such a small difference that the pad compound choice front to rear is going to matter more.

I’d still want the correct kit to know all clearances are correct and as designed by stoptech, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I learned something new thanks to this topic. Looks like there are more wide annulus pad compounds made than I thought:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/a...?keywords=Dr35
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I learned something new thanks to this topic. Looks like there are more wide annulus pad compounds made than I thought:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/a...?keywords=Dr35
Holy crap! Good find!

Per Dave at Zeckhausen, the F30 hats won't work with wide annulus rotors. They place the rotor 3.5 mm. too close to the car. We're forced to use the WAs and whatever pads will fit ST-60 calipers.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 12-18-2017 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect having a field day
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Holy crap! Good find!

Per Dave at Zeckhausen, the F30 hats won't work with wide annulus rotors. They place the rotor 3.5 mm. too close to the car. We're forced to use the WAs and whatever pads will fit ST-60 calipers.
Are you trying to fit the F30 kit on F8X?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Are you trying to fit the F30 kit on F8X?
Not exactly, just seeing if the F30 hats would allow me to run SA rotors up front, so I'm not locked into using WA. Looks like WA is the only way forward (which isn't so bad).
Appreciate 0