Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #45
PRM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am curious, what were you able to change and save in "profile"
Basically almost all settings are saved in profiles based in the key you use. Radio, AC, mirrors, etc. the issue I have is that I would like the car to have the chassis in comfort for the start and it always come into sport. Any ideas?

By the I am not referring to the M button these are already set.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #46
PRM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 AW 6MT

Quote:
That is also how I ended up doing it. M1 is the comfy DD mode and M2 is the sportier more aggressive mode.

I was actually looking forward to having three available configurations: start-up, M1 and M2, which I thought was an improvement over the E92 that had only two (start-up and M-mode). But since the default start-up is not configurable and pretty useless to me as it is set-up, I am back to only two modes as I had on the E92; but with an increased complexity to manage. Which is a step back IMO.

What prevented BMW to give us a configurable start-up mode?
Ok this answered my question. I am not able to configure the startup. I will have to now rearrange my M button to have a comfort and sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #47
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I was actually looking forward to having three available configurations: start-up, M1 and M2, which I thought was an improvement over the E92 that had only two (start-up and M-mode). But since the default start-up is not configurable and pretty useless to me as it is set-up, I am back to only two modes as I had on the E92; but with an increased complexity to manage. Which is a step back IMO.
But remember, the E9x only allowed you to configure two things at startup: throttle (and, even then, only normal or sport - sport plus wasn't available) and EDC. Servotronic, Drivelogic, and DSC startup settings were not configurable.

Quote:
What prevented BMW to give us a configurable start-up mode?
I don't think we'll ever know for sure. When in doubt, I blame the lawyers. . J/K for all you legal professionals out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #48
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
But remember, the E9x only allowed you to configure two things at startup: throttle (and, even then, only normal or sport - sport plus wasn't available) and EDC. Servotronic, Drivelogic, and DSC startup settings were not configurable..
Maybe it this was dependent on the model year and/or country. On my canadian '08, all three throttle modes were available in the startup configuration, as well as the two Servotronic modes. The DCT drivelogic also remembered the last "D" setting used. This was sufficient for me to configure my preferred "comfy" DD setup at start up.

Quote:
I don't think we'll ever know for sure. When in doubt, I blame the lawyers. . J/K for all you legal professionals out there.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-26-2014 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #49
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it this was dependent on the model year and/or country. On my canadian '08, all three throttle modes were available in the startup configuration, as well as the two Servotronic modes. The DCT drivelogic also remembered the last "D" setting used. This was sufficient for me to configure my preferred "comfy" DD setup at start up.
Come to think of it now, I think they did change this later on with a software update. You still had to push the stick right twice to get to D mode though, yes? Not that that's an issue. Also, I think you meant DCT rather than DSC?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #50
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You still had to push the stick right twice to get to D mode though, yes? Not that that's an issue.
Yes, push twice to the right and no, not an issue

Quote:
Also, I think you meant DCT rather than DSC?
Oups, typo . Fixed my OP
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #51
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Go easy on me here guys as this is my first DCT.

I'm ok with most options now after 200 miles....but where are S1 S2 and S3? I know D1 D3 D3 are Drive with different levels of drive logic applied. Is the S just the box in sequential mode with the differing levels of drive logic applied?

I only ask as I don't think the display shows S1 S2 or S3 when pushed over to to right to toggle into sequential just the gear number 1-7?
      01-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM2 View Post
Go easy on me here guys as this is my first DCT.

I'm ok with most options now after 200 miles....but where are S1 S2 and S3? I know D1 D3 D3 are Drive with different levels of drive logic applied. Is the S just the box in sequential mode with the differing levels of drive logic applied?
Yep.

Quote:
I only ask as I don't think the display shows S1 S2 or S3 when pushed over to to right to toggle into sequential just the gear number 1-7?
True.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #53
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM2 View Post
That's the "levels" graphic that changes as you press the button below the DCT shifter:

1 rectangle = S1, two rectangles =S2, 3 rectangles = S3, 4 rectangles = howthefeckdidyouget S4, 5 rectangles = E9x, 6 rectangles = secret E9x mode, 7 rectangles = you're drunk, call Uber, and - no, she doesn't like you like that and that's a fake number.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #54
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

I was confused by this as well. In fact after playing around with some settings, I was actually surprised that I had set my M2 button to "manual" shifting on the DCT, as opposed to the fully automatic version.

So if D1 = automatic lowest shift points, and D3 = automatic highest shift points, and the SX refers to manual shifting, how are there different shift points? Does it just change the recommended point at which you are "guided" to shift?
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #55
Tony007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I was confused by this as well. In fact after playing around with some settings, I was actually surprised that I had set my M2 button to "manual" shifting on the DCT, as opposed to the fully automatic version.

So if D1 = automatic lowest shift points, and D3 = automatic highest shift points, and the SX refers to manual shifting, how are there different shift points? Does it just change the recommended point at which you are "guided" to shift?
It's not only the shift points you are also increasing the shift speed and how hard it bangs the gears.

In manual S3 it's pretty violent..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #56
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

In Sequential (manual) mode, the Drivelogic setting has no incidence on shift point since the shift points are determined by the driver when he hits the paddle/stick. In S mode, the Drivelogic settings 1-3 define how aggresively the transmission executes the shifts. S1 provides very smooth upshifts at any RPM and no throttle blip rev match on off throttle downshifts. S3 will do all out power shifts when upshifting (to recuperate engine inertia) that will provide quit a jerk at higher RPMs and will throttle blip rev match on all downshifts. S2 is somewhere between S1 and S3.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #57
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In Sequential (manual) mode, the Drivelogic setting has no incidence on shift point since the shift points are determined by the driver when he hits the paddle/stick. In S mode, the Drivelogic settings 1-3 define how aggresively the transmission executes the shifts. S1 provides very smooth upshifts at any RPM and no throttle blip rev match on off throttle downshifts. S3 will do all out power shifts when upshifting (to recuperate engine inertia) that will provide quit a jerk at higher RPMs and will throttle blip rev match on all downshifts. S2 is somewhere between S1 and S3.
Thanks. More to experiment with.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #58
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
It's not only the shift points you are also increasing the shift speed and how hard it bangs the gears.

In manual S3 it's pretty violent..
Thanks for the feedback and the explanation!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #59
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
D = automatic shifts + speed/smoothness of shifts

S = manual shifts + speed/smoothness of shifts

On "Speed/smoothness" ... I can only speak from experience, but I wouldn't call them "shift points" I'd call it efficiency vs sporty based on all kinds of factors.

x1 will always find the most fuel efficient shifts - watch the efficiency meter (and then turn it off and never look again).

x3 will always shift most sporty - i.e., it's not just shift points since it will hold gears at a higher RPM in some scenarios, but shift in others. The computer seems to evaluate things yaw, speed, brake / throttle position, etc and then shifts or not based on what's most sporty not just RPM.

I've never tried a full throttle D shift, but in S like others say it's ridiculously violent especially compared to the E93
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 01:58 AM   #60
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Appreciated all, I see where S1/2/3 comes into play now setting the M1/2 buttons. Cheers!
      01-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #61
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

How do I change the DCT from D1,2,3 to S1,2,3?

At the moment when I set my "M" button(s) it seems to only set the DCT in S1,2,3.

Am I right in thinking D1,2,3 cannot be saved? And "D" is only on the gear selector so setting D1,2,3 would be set by manually pushing the DCT sensitivity button to which this "setup" is then lost when the car is turned off/then back on?

Furthermore, if I'm in D on the gear selector and then I push "M1" to which I have set to Sport/Sport/Sport will the gear selector automatically take the car out of "D" and put the car into "S"?

Thanks for the help, sorry if I haven't explained this very well...

Last edited by James_m4; 01-14-2015 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #62
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuka View Post

At the moment when I set my "M" button(s) it seems to only set the DCT in S1,2,3.

Am I right in thinking D1,2,3 cannot be saved? And "D" is only on the gear selector so setting D1,2,3 would be set by manually pushing the DCT sensitivity button to which this "setup" is then lost when the car is turned off/then back on?

Furthermore, if I'm in D on the gear selector and then I push "M1" to which I have set to Sport/Sport/Sport will the gear selector automatically take the car out of "D" and put the car into "S"?

Thanks for the help, sorry if I haven't explained this very well...
With drivelogic you can set 1,2,3. With gear lever you can select D and S by sliding to right... it toggles between D and S!
Furthermore for M1 and M2 you can set all throttle response, steering, suspension (if your car has active suspension), S or D, 1,2,3 and DSC (ON, MDM, OFF) and then save it as M1 and M2.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:29 AM   #63
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Am I right in thinking D1,2,3 cannot be saved?
If you look carefully at the iDrive screen for MDrive where you choose your Drivelogic setting, there is the option to choose between D and S. I am not sure (don't recall) what the actual text says, so it may just be the terminology that is tripping you up. But the choice is definitely there.

By the way, as mentioned in the first post of this thread, an alternate way to set your MDrive settings is to hold down an M button on the steering wheel. This will store everything as it is configured at that moment to the M button you've pressed.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #64
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Startup- in park all settings at default:

In "D1" but also in 1st gear: the "1" to the left of the "D" is the gear, the single rectangle to the right denotes "D1", i.e., D + single rectangle. D1 = efficient shifting mode. (I also changed throttle to "sport plus"):

M1 has been pressed: This is my neighborhood mode. sequential mode so only the gear, "1", is displayed and all settings are in comfort except steering. A single rectangle to the right of the "1" denotes "S1" or comfort shifting.

M2 pressed a single time - it's asking for confirmation since my M2 has MDM mode.

M2 pressed a second time to confirm - this is my GO mode, throttle set to sport plus, S3 is indicated: 3 rectangles = fastest/sportiest shifting

D2 Selected - moved into auto shift mode, backed off on the shift mode, D2 now indicated, 2 rectangles, and still in 1st gear so a "1" is indicated to the left of the "D"

X1-X3 Button:each press cycles you through X1-X3 and back to X1
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #65
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Awesome, and thanks for those photos! I was trying to visualize all these crazy settings in my mind as I don't have the car yet. The drivelogic one was the worst with the bars and S and D, 1 to 3. lol , but now I get it all. Seeing it is best! Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #66
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
Awesome, and thanks for those photos! I was trying to visualize all these crazy settings in my mind as I don't have the car yet. The drivelogic one was the worst with the bars and S and D, 1 to 3. lol , but now I get it all. Seeing it is best! Thanks!!
NP, as a fun bonus if you look at the redline from the 1st pic to the last you can see it's moved as the car warmed up.

I really don't like these F8x gauges - pretty cheapo, the E9x was stellar by comparison ... I'm really bummed out they cheaped it up.

Vendors: come up with a gauges mod - sold!

crappy picture of E9x gauges - sure, fix the displays to be LCD, but the aluminum gauges with the sliding cruise control and redline dials was super cool - I miss that the 2nd most!

Last edited by GrussGott; 01-16-2015 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0